Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 07:23 AM

4 posts, read 9,434 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'd like some advice on whether there are any "laid back" towns in the Northern NJ area? I grew up in Livingston, NJ and I HATED IT there. I just moved to Morris Plains, NJ after seven years in San Francisco and I'm disappointed to find out that I'm just as unhappy here in NJ as I have always been. I'm thinking maybe it's just the Morris County/Essex County "keeping up with the Jones's attitude" that i'm not happy with and if i could get out of this particular area, maybe i'd find NJ to be more agreeable. (Moving out of NJ is not an option for me, my husband has a good job and my parents would be devastated to lose their one and only grandchild.) If it exists, I'd really like to find a town in the Northern New Jersey area that is somewhat relaxed, pretty, down-to-earth, family-friendly and has a center of town. Am I kidding myself? Help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 07:58 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,601,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomcren12 View Post
Hi,

I'd like some advice on whether there are any "laid back" towns in the Northern NJ area? I grew up in Livingston, NJ and I HATED IT there. I just moved to Morris Plains, NJ after seven years in San Francisco and I'm disappointed to find out that I'm just as unhappy here in NJ as I have always been. I'm thinking maybe it's just the Morris County/Essex County "keeping up with the Jones's attitude" that i'm not happy with and if i could get out of this particular area, maybe i'd find NJ to be more agreeable. (Moving out of NJ is not an option for me, my husband has a good job and my parents would be devastated to lose their one and only grandchild.) If it exists, I'd really like to find a town in the Northern New Jersey area that is somewhat relaxed, pretty, down-to-earth, family-friendly and has a center of town. Am I kidding myself? Help!!
Where does hubby need to commute to? Go west is my recommendation... southern sussex county or warren county. Hackettstown is a great little town.... blairstown...hope (very small)... Newton...way too many to mention. Are you looking for something similiar to SF?
Out here in Warren county, we don't except any "joneses" . Laid back blue collar hard working folk!

Old 02-14-2009, 08:27 AM

4,178 posts, read 5,057,468 times
the problem with a "laid back" town is that it's often too laid back, i.e. the residents are irresponsible.

think litter everywhere

what comes to mind: Garfield, Kenvil, Kearny...

Old 02-14-2009, 10:40 AM

55 posts, read 197,479 times
You may want to consider Denville. It does have a center of town. It is also has easy access to all the major highways. Not sure if that is exactly the most laid back place. You might also want to consider either Roxbury or Mt. Arlington. Unfortunately they do not have a center of town but are close to all major highways as well and give you wasy access to Lake Hopatcong.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:00 AM

786 posts, read 2,663,518 times
Quote:
Hi,

pretty easy. cranford, my town, although it's not as "northern" as the towns you mention.

it's a middle class neighborhood with few snobs (can't afford it, with richer westfield next door), a very good school, affordable homes, a cute downtown (which even made it to several hollywood movies like Ashton Kutcher's Guess Who), and manageable taxes.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:34 PM

183 posts, read 500,640 times
I'm going to have to agree with the Cranford recommendation.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:35 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,945 times
Laid back,
For some reason Maywood comes to mind. It's one of the chillest towns i see around this area or Bergen County.

It has a very nice downtown section with some of the best pizzerias I've been to. And it's generally near everything you need like the Garden State Mall only about 1 mile away, And very close to NYC, Shop Rite, Bakery, Tool store, Chinese Food, Churches etc.
It has Passaic street which runs through Hackensack, Maywood, and Rochelle Park that has a big line of NJ Transits that run through. It's a very easy accessible, clean, and safe town.

And if any children come on the way like grandma has been wanting, Maywood is a great place to raise a family. (High School goes to Hackensack though, which i don't think is generally a bad thing; But to a lot of people it's not so great) And at the same time, Hackensack is recognized as one of the best high schools in the country. (if you ever drive by the school it brags itself all over)

Old 02-14-2009, 07:52 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,249 times
Quote:
Hi,

Dude, you should definitely post on my thread called "Anti-Morris County Thread". I totally agree with you, Morris County isn't great for us young people. Essex is pretty laid back though, that attitude really only exists in Morris and maybe in parts of Essex. I could imagine it being in Livingston, where you grew up, Livingston is a nice town, but it's similar to Morris. I find Nutley to be a really laid back town, I like it there. I like the West Essex area too, but they have money so it's probably got that attitude. People I know from the Caldwells, Roseland, Fairfield, Essex Fells, are really materialistic but I don't find their attitudes to be a problem. They're all about flashy cars though and like Ed Hardy clothing, expensive stuff.

You probably won't find what you're looking for in Sussex or Warren counties and you already said you didn't like Essex or Morris. Try Passaic, Bergen, and Hudson counties. I like the West Paterson, Totowa, Little Falls, Wayne part of Passaic. South Bergen is more working middle class people in towns like Lyndhurst, Garfield, Lodi, whereas northern Bergen is kinda upper class Upper Saddle River and Alpine<--small but a really rich town. Hudson county is very urban, so you will find a lot of different people there, families, couples, singles, asians, hispanics, blacks, whites, christians, jews, rich, and poor. People tell me in the Anti-Morris thread that I should move to Hoboken or Jersey City... they don't want me in Morris county. i don't want myself in Morris county either. I'm hoping to relocate to South Orange soon. or maybe elsehwere.

Well, I hoped this helped you out. It's good to see another young people on here. If you're under 25, you might find this all helpful, but you said you were married and you had a kid so you must be like over 30. Well at least your a decent human being

Old 02-14-2009, 09:22 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,333,090 times
try secaucus, kearny, southern bergen, shore

Old 02-16-2009, 10:53 AM

512 posts, read 1,754,655 times
Strapani must have never visited Denville or Boonton. Boonton is a bit hick-artsy which is cool in it's own right, but if you want to see a classic downtown, check out Denville. I love the town myself, and I have a couple kids both under three. I'm 30 in a week though, so Strapani might feel I represent the older class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey