Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 07:55 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg Dunlop View Post
I'm not black, but I don't see why it matters. I don't give a damn what race my neighbors are so long as they are people who hold down jobs and take care of their homes.
Ah, but do they give a damn what race YOU are? E.O. is so overwhelmingly black a white person sticks out. Orange is a bit more mixed.

Quote:
A few of the homes I found that I could do with my budget have been in areas that look to be kept up. As an example of what i found, there was a home in Orange listed at $179,900 near one of the stations and I could fit that in my budget, even with property taxes. It's the ideal type of situation.
Like I said, rent first. You're not going to be priced out of Orange any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 09:39 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdiddy761 View Post
Roselle Park is 3 stops to midtown...no crime more working class and not stuck up like westfield (which is super $$$$)

Parking is cheap and if you live in town most walk to station.
No, Roselle Park is not 3 stops to Midtown. RP is on the Raritan Valley Line which only goes direct to NYC at off peak hours (so not rush hours) and it's more than 3 stops at that point. I guess if you count the PATH it's technically 3 stops from NY on the NJT side but then you have to switch trains and have at least a 20 minute PATH train ride and have to switch PATH trains as the only direct Newark to NYC line is the World Trade Center line. The Hoboken to 33rd line requires a switch in Hoboken.

And OP... you don't want to be in East Orange. Unless you like crime.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:29 AM

862 posts, read 975,776 times
go right ahead then, I think it would be very niave to think you would be safe in east orange, but as a liberal minded person who is colorblind you would have to find out for yourself, also try Newark, Irvington, Paterson.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:22 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,103 times
I live in South Orange, one of the fashionable but expensive towns on the Midtown Direct. There is a real trend for empty-nesters and single people from this area who are tired of the taxes and don't care about school quality to move to either:

East Orange, on S. Harrison Street on the other side of 280 from Brick Church station. The street is lined with handsome old brick apartment buildings that are being renovated, and there are several new luxury buildings. I know three people who bought co-ops at Harrison Park Towers, a stately mid-century high-rise, and I would buy one too if they didn't have a 20-pound weight restriction on dogs. (If you're at all interested, add your name to the mailing list. The co-op association will be releasing 35 units for sale in the fall.) My friend who just moved there last week says the area is swarming with police. The town knows that proximity to the station is the key to its revitalization, and they're going to keep it safe.

A couple random buildings from Zillow:

Aura 240 Apartments - East Orange, NJ | Zillow
Indigo 141 Apartments - East Orange, NJ | Zillow

Orange, the Valley Arts District near the Highland train station. The Hat City Lofts project recently sold out, and buyers include people who would ordinarily buy in (or who are leaving) Maplewood/South Orange.

I'm a single, middle-aged, white woman, and I would consider moving to one of these areas. To me, Orange is more interesting because it's closer to "good" towns (South Orange and West Orange) and all the restaurants, shopping, movie theaters, etc. But there aren't nearly as many regular apartment buildings in this area. It would mostly be houses or part of a multi-family house.

I do agree with everyone that you should rent for a year first. I think these towns are rebounding and there is money to be made buying property, but I really think you should learn your way around first.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:17 AM

115 posts, read 146,249 times
Congratulations on the move. I would definitely encourage you to rent first as well. You could even rent a house in Kearny (well within a reasonable driving distance (5 - 10 min) to the Path). From Harrison Path Station to WTC is 18 minutes. From WTC to midtown (depending on what train, and where you have to be... it's another 15 - 20 minute ride).

Kearny and Harrison (IMO) have a bit more going for them... given the close proximity to downtown Newark and downtown Manhattan. Kearny is more of a "family-feel" community. Harrison is quickly developing... so, something in your price range (even to rent may be a bit of a stretch)... That said, if you consider these areas, you may have to increase your price range (if at all possible). For comparison, there are apartments in Harrison that start at $2300/month for a 1 bd 800 sq ft unit.

East Orange has some nice parts (esp if you can find something near the train stations). The rentals in EO will probably be more within your price range (if you are unable to increase the range). The further you go West, though, the longer your commute is going to be. If you truly want a 1 hour commute, you will have to find something close to a train station and not too far west (in NJ).

But, again... I would strongly suggest... rent first (I speak from experience).

Old 09-07-2016, 04:26 PM

10,475 posts, read 6,991,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
go right ahead then, I think it would be very niave to think you would be safe in east orange, but as a liberal minded person who is colorblind you would have to find out for yourself, also try Newark, Irvington, Paterson.
Couldnt have been said better. Im pretty sure he has no idea that racism is a two way street, and that cracker isnt being referred to as a food.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:35 PM

16 posts, read 13,770 times
White couple with a young infant moving from South Dakota to East Orange. Sounds like a premise for a new sitcom.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:21 PM

206 posts, read 473,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jls012 View Post
White couple with a young infant moving from South Dakota to East Orange. Sounds like a premise for a new sitcom.
He is in for some culture shock and it won't be like "The Jeffersons". It will be more like moving from Mayberry to Mogadishu. Let's see, 4.1% white population, that's all good, right?.......but not the 700 boarded up residences nobody is paying property tax on. Guess who picks up the tab on that ? That's right, everybody else in town that has a job or gets a free check from Uncle Sugar. No place to shop, can't walk the streets at night. Better be sure he gets "theft" on his auto insurance policy !! Wanna buy a house? Better get ready to spend 7-9k/yr + for property tax in the "better neighborhoods"......Oh wait, there are no "better Neighborhoods" although the "Urban Pioneers" will sing a different tune. East Orange has been in decline/free fall since 1970 . This is the town where they have renamed public schools from that of the founding fathers to crack addicted Pop stars and OJ's defense lawyer. Check out the ratings of E.O. Schools ! Good luck with your move, better put on your big boy pants ! Oh yeah, and try to get a hand gun permit in NJ to protect yourself and your family. All the best and welcome to the real world.

Last edited by scrantonscrambler; 09-10-2016 at 08:48 PM..

Old 10-09-2016, 11:40 AM

10 posts, read 9,847 times
I would concentrate closer to the city such as Harrison, North Arlington or my hometown of Kearny. A school of distinction rating,many youth programs including soccer, toddler reading and art groups at the library, a community garden etc. a nice 3 bedroom house with off street parking can be bought for under $300k and there are 6 options for transportation to the city. We have a main street of restaurants and local shops as well as development of the shopping area that includes BJs wholesale, Kmart, radio shack, 5 below, petsmart, LA Fitness gym, we have Walmart and we have malls within about a 15 minute drive. You may find this link useful in your research, we have a very diverse community and like all areas of the world some crime but a drop in crime statistics each of the last 5 years. [url=http://kearnyusa.com/TownInformation]Town of Kearny Information | The Town of Kearny, NJ[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey