Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 07:07 PM

21 posts, read 19,115 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm contemplating moving to New Jersey and would like to know if anyone knows the most affordable and safe places to live (no or minimum crime). I'm just one person with no family. Just a room is good enough for me but I don't want to live with roommates. Thank you all for your responses...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 11:17 AM

74 posts, read 73,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Hi all, I'm contemplating moving to New Jersey and would like to know if anyone knows the most affordable and safe places to live (no or minimum crime). I'm just one person with no family. Just a room is good enough for me but I don't want to live with roommates. Thank you all for your responses...
Where in the state are you moving to?

Old 09-14-2016, 12:10 PM

I don't have a set place. But I know I want to be around an hour or less of Silicon Alley where there are lots of tech companies for employment, or Albany (which someone here said has lots of tech companies) via car or public transportation. Silicon Alley is in Manhattan according to Wikipedia. The closer to these two places the better.

Last edited by CoverTwo; 09-14-2016 at 01:31 PM..

Old 09-14-2016, 01:50 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,753,453 times
You can't do an hour from anywhere in NJ to Albany, so there's that.

Maybe this will surprise you, but affordable and safe tend to have a negative correlation. If you are going to try to get as much safety for your buck as you can, you will probably have to look at typical suburban towns and definitely not any urban core. But you need to provide more info, like a budget for rent most importantly.

If you have a desire for any other specificities in an area, also make that known. Want a walkable downtown? Okay with living in a garden apartment complex? Would you be okay with no train in town so that it's much less of an option and you must drive into NYC? Think of all that is important to you and specify.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:04 PM

42 posts, read 47,035 times
Safe+ Close to City = Downtown JC (Grove St, Exchange Pl, Newport)
Cheap + Safe + Close to City = Journal Square, Bayonne

Old 09-14-2016, 04:32 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
The missing part of the equation is the actual price range for rentals that the OP has in mind.
What is...affordable...to one person could be very different than what that same term could mean to a different person.

OP:
Tell us what your maximum monthly rental expenditure would be, and you will be much more likely to get responses that have actual value.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:35 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Albany and the surrounding areas are very affordable, but it's a good 2 hours from even the northern most part of NJ

Not a tech worker, not sure if there are actually a lot of tech jobs there. It's a smaller city.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
OP:
Tell us what your maximum monthly rental expenditure would be, and you will be much more likely to get responses that have actual value.
$600-$1200 for an apartment. I buy most things online so if USPS, UPS and FedEx deliver, which is usually ubiquitous everywhere, I should be okay. $600-$800 range worries me a little for having more crime problems. I think theft is probably more likely to happen. $800-$1200 seems more okay. I could extend it to more than $1200 if necessary. But the lower the rent is the better.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:57 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Union City is about as close as you can get to Manhattan and be safe and cheap. Helps if you know Spanish.

The Albany tech jobs are pretty much what's associated with Global Foundries, which is about 1/2 hour north of Albany. There are a lot of jobs but not a lot of companies.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Helps if you know Spanish.
I don't know Spanish at all. No sé español. I had to Google to find that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey