U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-30-2008, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Historic Downtown Jersey City
2,705 posts, read 7,845,806 times
Reputation: 1215

Advertisements

Well, apparently SOME people think it's a good idea to raise children in Downtown JC. I see more strollers than hipsters these days, seriously.

DZZZ, have you been to Downtown JC? There is nothing "urban ghetto" about it. The rest of JC, yes, kind of ghetto. But JC is a completely different demographic...have you been recently?

Real estate in a slump? Not in Downtown. Population is on the rise, and has been for about 3 years now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2008, 06:21 PM
 
2 posts, read 10,617 times
Reputation: 10
Default Where to Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiangirl_11 View Post
My husband is starting school in Manhattan (midtown) this fall so we are looking to move to the area this summer. We were told that Jersey City would be our best bet as he wants to stay within a 40 min commute and we want to spend under 350K on a 2-3 bedroom house/condo. We don't have any kids so we're not worried about schools but are wondering where in Jersey City we would find decent neighborhoods in our price range or if there are other cities that might be even better.

I would appreciate any help or advice you could offer. Thanks!
How about Teaneck , Palisades Park, Fort Lee, Edgewater,Ridgefield Park, West New York. Can find house/ condo or coop. Taxes vary depending on which town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2008, 06:03 PM
 
5 posts, read 14,743 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Well, apparently SOME people think it's a good idea to raise children in Downtown JC. I see more strollers than hipsters these days, seriously.

DZZZ, have you been to Downtown JC? There is nothing "urban ghetto" about it. The rest of JC, yes, kind of ghetto. But JC is a completely different demographic...have you been recently?

Real estate in a slump? Not in Downtown. Population is on the rise, and has been for about 3 years now.
I moved to Hobken ,NJ after long search and a few trips to see everything with my own eyes.
I have seen JC hights (good area according to some)
I have seen JC journal square (is that a downtown u r tlking about?)

I see a lot of women with strollers everywhere, the less aspirations and brains people have the more they tend to procreate, regardless of conditions. I hardly see young women with a lot of kids as a sign of urban renewal. That is where we differ , I guess.

I walked through these areas and admittedly being a white european with certain standarts of living would never consider living in JC.
I do get a third world charm of some NJ areas ,but I prefer to be a tourist not a resident.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Historic Downtown Jersey City
2,705 posts, read 7,845,806 times
Reputation: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKZZZZ View Post
I moved to Hobken ,NJ after long search and a few trips to see everything with my own eyes.
I have seen JC hights (good area according to some)
I have seen JC journal square (is that a downtown u r tlking about?)

I see a lot of women with strollers everywhere, the less aspirations and brains people have the more they tend to procreate, regardless of conditions. I hardly see young women with a lot of kids as a sign of urban renewal. That is where we differ , I guess.

I walked through these areas and admittedly being a white european with certain standarts of living would never consider living in JC.
I do get a third world charm of some NJ areas ,but I prefer to be a tourist not a resident.
Nah, that's not Downtown Jersey City. Journal Square is Journal Square (it's quite scroungy). Heights is so-so. Downtown Jersey City (the area bound by the Turnpike extension, you can see it on a map) is where there has been much "urban renewal" and "gentrification". I have visited/worked in/driven through the entire city of Jersey City, and no other part of the city comes close to Downtown.

The mommies pushing baby carriages in Downtown JC are on a different level of the mommies pushing baby carriages in Journal Square, I ssure you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2008, 04:47 PM
 
177 posts, read 671,896 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Nah, that's not Downtown Jersey City. Journal Square is Journal Square (it's quite scroungy). Heights is so-so. Downtown Jersey City (the area bound by the Turnpike extension, you can see it on a map) is where there has been much "urban renewal" and "gentrification". I have visited/worked in/driven through the entire city of Jersey City, and no other part of the city comes close to Downtown.

The mommies pushing baby carriages in Downtown JC are on a different level of the mommies pushing baby carriages in Journal Square, I ssure you.

The Journal Square area is ghetto. I don't see how people say it's an "ok" place. A lot of loitering and milling around by undesirables, and I'm not talking about people waiting for the PATH. The area around it looks dirty too. The whole area around there looks depressing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 08:12 AM
 
2 posts, read 10,617 times
Reputation: 10
Smile Where to Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight114 View Post
well cyntmac, I have posted several times asking the same question b/c some times there was no response or not enough info and i like to hear alot of opinions which is why i came to the forum. and im new to this place so maybe thats why you get alot of the same questions and answers (new posters asking old questions).

also my son attends private school so i guess the school issue wasnt a big deal to us. i mean we were looking in rahway not really a great school system but the homes are nice in certain. and we are in our twenties and have young child so my goal is to find a nice place for young families which means something different to everyone.
West New York is in NJ. There are Condo's along River Road with a great view of NYC overlooking the Hudson River. The Condo's are near the NY/NJ waterway ferry. Rentals are $2k/month and UP. To Buy you are looking at $500k and more. They have pools. beautiful theatre room, club house, media room, business room, conference room etc.. Summer Barbecue catered by the pool. The Filmed the Upcoming Movie "Old Dogs" with John Travolta and Robin Williams there. Don know much about the school system. Lots of young upwardly mobile families, foreign executives with families staying 2-3yr, models, entrepreneurs etc..

Then You have Edgewater - More Houses and some condos. I believe the children are bused to Fort Lee school district.

Fort Lee NJ - just over the George Washington Bridge and you are near NY. There are parochial schools and other private schools. Fort Lee Public School System is OK. Big Asian Mix Population, Nice Homes, Low Taxes, safe, clean, residents drive around in nice cars and SUVs.
There are Coop'sd and Condo's that are family friendly with their own pools, clubhouses, tennis courts, plagrounds etc... Lots of cafes/small restaurants serving good food. Good schools/parks/buses to NY

Leonia is more residential (next to Fort Lee). Less high rises--- small town. Good schools as well./parks/buses to NY

Teaneck good schools/buses to NY . Mainly residential. LOTS of trees. Has both public and private schools. High residential taxes but good size backyard. FDU (Farleigh Dickinson University is in Teaneck) Lots of parks/library/cmmunity center etc...

Due to the recession and mortgage crisis, there are HOUSES for rent/sale in Fort Lee, Teaneck etc that are almost the same cost as renting an apartment. In apt's or condo's/coops's you will have to rent your parking space anyway.

I go to Jersey City/ Jersey City Heights. Parking is horrible. I prefer big parks and trees - in my environment. I have 2kids and 3 dogs.

Fort LEE, Leonia, Palisades Park, Teaneck are 40minutes-1hr drive to Jersey City. West NY being 15-25 minutes to Downtown Jersey Cty
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Historic Downtown Jersey City
2,705 posts, read 7,845,806 times
Reputation: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Capo* View Post
The Journal Square area is ghetto. I don't see how people say it's an "ok" place. A lot of loitering and milling around by undesirables, and I'm not talking about people waiting for the PATH. The area around it looks dirty too. The whole area around there looks depressing.
I don't think anybody is saying that Journal Square is OK. I think most would agree it's rather ghetto and scroungy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2008, 07:51 PM
 
177 posts, read 671,896 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I don't think anybody is saying that Journal Square is OK. I think most would agree it's rather ghetto and scroungy.

Agreed. I just wanted to drive the point home further, because sometimes I read people suggesting to others to live in the Journal Square area, and it makes me sick.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2008, 07:53 AM
 
730 posts, read 2,773,859 times
Reputation: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
The mommies pushing baby carriages in Downtown JC are on a different level of the mommies pushing baby carriages in Journal Square, I ssure you.
Tommyc, I have read a bunch of your posts on JC in general, MANY times I have read you calling the Heights "ghetto" , now your comments on Journal Square are going in the same direction. It seems the only livable part of JC to you is where you live, downtown, correct? The quote above is so ignorant I find it hard to even quantify it with a comment, so I won't.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2008, 08:21 AM
 
177 posts, read 671,896 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
Tommyc, I have read a bunch of your posts on JC in general, MANY times I have read you calling the Heights "ghetto" , now your comments on Journal Square are going in the same direction. It seems the only livable part of JC to you is where you live, downtown, correct? The quote above is so ignorant I find it hard to even quantify it with a comment, so I won't.

Sorry, but Journal Square and the surrounding area IS ghetto.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top