Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 01:14 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,862 times

Advertisements

Tommyc do you think its ok to insult my intelligence as long as you put a smiley face next to it? You know im trying to be nice with you but for some reason you think its ok to make douche bag remarks, dont talk down to me because you have a different opinion on something. So just because you think JC along with some other people on here is safe im just supposed to say "ok hey maybe these tommyc guy is right"? I have an opinion on something and ill stand by it. Since you set out an example so many times in this post I will too. What is your thoughts on Yonkers cause I know most people think its pretty rough, well Yonkers is roughly the same pop% and is ranked safer than JC same goes for Boston. Like I said JC is no Philly, or Oakland or St Loius by any means but like Lammius said its not that dangerous but its not that safe. I bet next youll compair it to Compton. Oh and P.S. THAT LIST INCLUDES JUST ABOUT EVERY MAJOR CITY IN THE US TOO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 01:16 PM

Yes Dante80 go to Jersey man for help with that, he is very educated on the city past present and future. And your right JC is like brooklyn it has nice areas and crap areas but to defend my point again that dosnt qualify it as being safe.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:39 PM

32 posts, read 90,403 times
Okay, I'll agree with cf77 that TOMMYC is being a bit nasty with his last reply post. I think TOMMYC was just trying to get through to some posters/readers his stance and logic, which I understand and can appreciate. I think the disagreement will NOT be resolved since safety is relative. If someone asked me "Is NYC safe?" I would say "definitely", but NYC has had a reputation for decades that it is unsafe. So no matter what the numbers indicate, it will always be an unsafe city to some. Safety is not something you can put into numbers, it's just a feeling. So, it's hard to say who is right and wrong, everyone just has to feel out cities/locations for themselves and not just listen to other people's experiences as the final word.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:45 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Dante, JC is very much like Brooklyn. I know a great deal about each neighborhood in JC, and the "neighborhoods within neighborhoods". Coming from Brooklyn, you know what I mean when I say that each block is different. A lot of suburbanites don't understand that concept, and lump it all in as JC. Can you imagine someone saying "Brooklyn is Brooklyn, and Brooklyn is unsafe"? That's the attitude that I have to deal with here, with some of the suburbanites, hehe

By the way I'm glad you're entertained, this board is intended to entertain AND to inform!

Coincidentally, I also know a fair amount about the other cities you're considering - Bayonne and New Brunswick.

I spent 4 years living in New Brunswick (while attending Rutgers), although this was years ago and New Brunswick has changed a lot (mostly for the better). It's mostly a college town, although I see that they've built some nice condo/townhouse developments near the train station. There are some nicer (non-college-y) bars and restaurants downtown. A commute to NYC would be about an hour or so, via NJ Transit train.

Bayonne in my opinion is sort of a hybrid between a suburb and a city. Kind of reminds me of parts of Staten Island in that sense. Bayonne is mostly families...years ago was predominantly Italian, now seems to be a lot of Hispanic families.

If you're familiar with Brooklyn (obviously you are) I would compare the demographics of Downtown JC to a cross between Williamsburg and Brooklyn Heights.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:52 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Dante, JC is very much like Brooklyn. I know a great deal about each neighborhood in JC, and the "neighborhoods within neighborhoods". Coming from Brooklyn, you know what I mean when I say that each block is different. A lot of suburbanites don't understand that concept, and lump it all in as JC. Can you imagine someone saying "Brooklyn is Brooklyn, and Brooklyn is unsafe"? That's the attitude that I have to deal with here, with some of the suburbanites, hehe

By the way I'm glad you're entertained, this board is intended to entertain AND to inform!

Coincidentally, I also know a fair amount about the other cities you're considering - Bayonne and New Brunswick.

I spent 4 years living in New Brunswick (while attending Rutgers), although this was years ago and New Brunswick has changed a lot (mostly for the better). It's mostly a college town, although I see that they've built some nice condo/townhouse developments near the train station. There are some nicer (non-college-y) bars and restaurants downtown. A commute to NYC would be about an hour or so, via NJ Transit train.

Bayonne in my opinion is sort of a hybrid between a suburb and a city. Kind of reminds me of parts of Staten Island in that sense. Bayonne is mostly families...years ago was predominantly Italian, now seems to be a lot of Hispanic families.
If you're familiar with Brooklyn (obviously you are) I would compare the demographics of Downtown JC to a cross between Williamsburg and Brooklyn Heights.
excuse me, italian, irish and polish

sincerely, the irish girl

Old 06-03-2008, 02:05 PM

cf77, the Internet is an amazing tool...however, it is difficult to convey conversational tone. My tone was intended to be more "tongue-in-cheek" rather than "nasty". I'm sorry if it came off as nasty...I tried to make it seem more tongue-in-cheek with the smiley faces.

Anyway, I know you have an opinion, but it's just that - an opinion. When I upped the anty to include facts, you kind of fell short a bit.

OK, so here's my problem with your materials...

There are a great deal of large suburbs on your list - most of the first 150-200 of those towns would be considered suburbs. MOST of them. (For example, Edison and Woodbridge NJ are in this group).

So we can't compare cities to suburbs/large towns/smallish cities, because the fundamental difference there, universally, is that these are places with lower crime than a real "city" (aka JC, Newark, Camden, NYC, Philly, Boston).

Now, analyze the list from about #250 - #371. Most (not all, but most) of those towns would be considered CITIES. That's our target segment.

JC, at #312, is actually smack in the middle of #250 - $371. So, indirectly, you just helped me prove my point - JC has an average crime rate for a CITY.

In summary (once again):
Jersey City has a much LOWER crime rate per 100,000 people than most large cities (500,000+)

Jersey City is about AVERAGE in crime (maybe slightly below average) for mid-sized cities (200,000 - 500,000 population)

Is it making sense? I'm not trying to insult...trying to understand what your challenge is in getting your head around the facts that I've presented.

I'm really trying not to insult your intelligence. But when you don't see a point that I'm illustrating clearly, concisely, and explicitly, then you are kind of insulting your own intelligence.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:11 PM

tahiti - TRUE. I know there were a lot of Irish and Polish too.

So I just noticed that it now says I'm a "Senior Member" - sweet! Apparently all this defending of JC has given me some credentials, LOL.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:46 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Ive been quiet reading this thread the last 2 days and had to speak up. Tommy you OBVIOUSLY have a financial horse in this race. You posted that you restore brownstones. Your location is as you say historic downtown JC so it appears that you don't want to be associated with the rest of the city. I have no horses in the race. I lived in Jersey City for OVER 35 years. I have been in and out of JC for OVER 50 years. Currently law enforcement for OVER 30 years. With that said stats are only numbers that the politicians and police chiefs want to post. Just take this site, they say Jersey City has 10 or 12 sex offenders. The number is OVER 300. Now when you downgrade burglaries to thefts, robberies to thefts and so on, you get my drift. Is it ok if you have no children and you're used to city living, yes. Would I want to raise a family there, NO. Been there and done that. Couldn't wait to move for the childrens sake. Is downtown nice, sure some sections. But most of the remainder of the city leaves alot to be desired.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:57 PM

Jersey Man, agreed. I personally would not want to raise a family in any city. But I will say that in the Downtown area, there are a LOT of young, professional people walking around with baby strollers.

But you are re-iterating the same point...that's why lots of families move to suburbs. Cities in general are more dangerous than suburbs...so families move to suburbs!

I'm not trying to compare it to the suburbs. Just saying that when compared to other cities, all of a sudden JC don't look so bad.

As a cop, you bring up an interesting point about municipalities hiding certain statistics....but...then again, we don't know for sure what ANY city's crime stats TRULY are. Right? They could all be hiding incidents...per your statement. Are you assuming that JC is the ONLY city that hides/downplays crime stats? If so, then you are the one living in an illusion. Right?

So ... if we don't know what ANY city's TRUE crime stats are...then we must use the crime stats that ARE PROVIDED. And that's what I used in my comparisons...the only stats that we are provided with. Beyond that...anything is speculation. Make sense?

Yes, JC is not safer than suburban NJ. But when compared to other cities....it's really quite safe. Using the stats that we HAVE...this is not even arguable. I put the numbers in front of you.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:38 PM

First off let me say im glad to see Jersey Man post here because I value his opinion for he's highly educated on the city. Second I would like to say to Tommyc . So now you posted that you think JC is average in terms of crime, which I dont disagree with and never would have in the first place. You've gone from saying JC is a safe city to saying it is average, theres a big difference there and to say it is average makes way more sense to me than that other jibberish you were spewing about it being "safe". But now that I know you have a Brownstone revival shindig going on I now see why you want to promote this city as being "safe", the truth is out. I also think its weird that the site I gave you listed some of those places you listed before as not being worse than JC, huh ,weird? Kinda like Tampa and Boston .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey