Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 06:37 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,612,664 times

Advertisements

I didn't see Woodridge recommended. Very nice small town. Have family there for over 30 years. Can't park on the street at night though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 07:11 AM

88,437 posts, read 84,550,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I didn't see Woodridge recommended. Very nice small town. Have family there for over 30 years. Can't park on the street at night though.
Most Bergen County towns are like that, though. Unfairly, I know, that perception was always in my head since I was young--that towns where people park along the streets all night are somehow seedier.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Most Bergen County towns are like that, though. Unfairly, I know, that perception was always in my head since I was young--that towns where people park along the streets all night are somehow seedier.
Yep, it's a Bergen County HOA. lmao I remember staying overnight and my BIL had to notify the popo that we parked in the street to avoid getting a ticket.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:49 PM

229 posts, read 250,677 times
@masterchef1 - If I'm guessing right, the house you saw for over a million is new construction. It won't sell for that because of the mansion tax. It'll go between $850k to $950k depending on how long it sits. New construction is rare in Rutherford, and usually starts at $800k now.

I know the house on Ridge Road you're talking about. It looks haunted. It's a teardown. Builders are probably bidding on that with all cash and no contingencies. A normal buyer doesn't stand a chance.

Much of the housing stock in Rutherford is indeed older - but you'd be surprised at how much of those older houses have been gut renovated. The tell-tale sign is the price. Anything in the $600s and up is turn key. Below that, it'll either be a fixer upper or is tiny. My advice to anyone looking for a a turn key property in Rutherford is to buy a piece of crap for $300k, and gut it or rebuild. You can have a newer home with the exact finishes you want all in for $500-750k. Cheaper than buying something already done from a builder or flipper because you're cutting out the middle man's profit margin.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Wood-Ridge is a nice town. On the plus side, It has a larger selection of newer construction than Rutherford and it has two train stations. But It has a big negative - the schools suck. So many families with school aged children are going to cross it off the list. It also doesn't really have a nice downtown area, so there's no nightlife to speak of.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Rutherford allows overnight parking on all streets. Anywhere east of Ridge Road requires a free on street parking permit for residents. On the west side of Ridge Road anyone can street park as long as they want except at metered spots and on a few blocks near the train station.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig-D View Post
Wood-Ridge is a nice town. On the plus side, It has a larger selection of newer construction than Rutherford and it has two train stations. But It has a big negative - the schools suck. So many families with school aged children are going to cross it off the list. It also doesn't really have a nice downtown area, so there's no nightlife to speak of.
Wow, I must be getting old, never heard that the schools suck in Wood Ridge. Family raved about the schools and all 4 nieces and nephews went to college, married and stayed in Wood Ridge. 3 of them work in NYC. Not much difference in the rankings.

2016 Best Public High Schools in New Jersey

Explore the best public high schools in your area based on statistics, student and parent reviews, and expert insights. Ranking factors include state test scores, college readiness, graduation rates, SAT/ACT scores, teacher quality, student and parent reviews, and more.

See how this ranking was calculated 149
Add to List

Rutherford High School
  • Rutherford Public Schools, NJ
  • 9-12

Add to List

Wood-Ridge High School
  • Wood-Ridge Board of Education, NJ
  • 9-12

Last edited by JERSEY MAN; 09-18-2016 at 06:44 PM..

Old 09-18-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Wow, I must be getting old, never heard that the schools suck in Wood Ridge. Family raved about the schools and all 4 nieces and nephews went to college, married and stayed in Wood Ridge. 3 of them work in NYC. Not much difference in the rankings.

2016 Best Public High Schools in New Jersey

Explore the best public high schools in your area based on statistics, student and parent reviews, and expert insights. Ranking factors include state test scores, college readiness, graduation rates, SAT/ACT scores, teacher quality, student and parent reviews, and more.

See how this ranking was calculated 149
Add to List

Rutherford High School
  • Rutherford Public Schools, NJ
  • 9-12

Add to List

Wood-Ridge High School
  • Wood-Ridge Board of Education, NJ
  • 9-12
The site you are using relies in part on a very subjective metric - surveys by alumni students and parents. The standard for rating NJ schools are resources such as Greatschools.org and NJ Monthly. Great Schools grades Wood-Ridge's school district a 4 out of 10, well below average. Rutherford"s school district comparatively is 8 out of 10. NJ Monthly's 2016 ranking of NJ's high schools ranked Rutherford H.S. 74th best in the state. Wood-Ridge H.S. is 200th.

337 N.J. High Schools Ranked Highest By NJ Monthly - Morristown, NJ Patch

Old 09-18-2016, 08:34 PM

88,437 posts, read 84,550,547 times
Quote:
Yep, it's a Bergen County HOA. lmao I remember staying overnight and my BIL had to notify the popo that we parked in the street to avoid getting a ticket.
Yup. If you call and let them know, they won't give you the ticket.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:57 PM

4,176 posts, read 5,048,818 times
the Wood-Ridge train stations are active ?

I had heard that the planned connection was cancelled...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey