Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 09:05 AM

800 posts, read 1,296,279 times

Advertisements

is it a law or just common courtesy to curb dogs? my development annoyingly only has sidewalk on "my side" of the street, the other half of the neighborhood has grass and driveways. that said, i see people constantly walking their dogs pass my house, many of them keep their dogs to the curb side grass and clean up after themselves, on a few occasions i see them on my lawn 1 or 2 feet in, annoying but i deal with it, but most annoyingly i see on occasion people letting their dogs 15-20 feet into my property. this bothers me on many levels because i have young children who play outside, i care about my lawn so the pee spots **** me off, and lastly i shouldn't have to deal with their sh1t, pun intended.

so basically, is it a law to curb your dog? can i do anything to stop this? and whats the proper protocol for confronting the owners, my direct next door neighbor is one of the offenders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 09:15 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,922,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
is it a law or just common courtesy to curb dogs? my development annoyingly only has sidewalk on "my side" of the street, the other half of the neighborhood has grass and driveways. that said, i see people constantly walking their dogs pass my house, many of them keep their dogs to the curb side grass and clean up after themselves, on a few occasions i see them on my lawn 1 or 2 feet in, annoying but i deal with it, but most annoyingly i see on occasion people letting their dogs 15-20 feet into my property. this bothers me on many levels because i have young children who play outside, i care about my lawn so the pee spots **** me off, and lastly i shouldn't have to deal with their sh1t, pun intended.

so basically, is it a law to curb your dog? can i do anything to stop this? and whats the proper protocol for confronting the owners, my direct next door neighbor is one of the offenders.

Check your local law on curbing for dogs. If there is one, put a sign up as reminder.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:15 AM

351 posts, read 481,805 times
it is a law depending on your city.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:46 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Forget about dogs, cats are bigger problem. They can go virtually anywhere unnoticed. I keep trying to keep cats off my lawn. They love my quiet and huge backyard. Not to mention Skunks keep having run-ins with cats.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:29 AM

Branchburg, nj

5-8.7 Curbing of Dogs.

No person owning, harboring, keeping or in charge of any dog shall cause, suffer, or allow such dog to soil, defile, defecate on or commit any nuisance on any common thoroughfare, sidewalk, passageway, bypass, play area, park or any place where people congregate or walk, or upon any public property whatsoever, or upon any private property without permission of the owner of said property. It shall be the duty of each dog owner to remove and dispose of in a sanitary manner any feces left by his or her dog on the aforementioned areas.

so it doesn't say must stay to curb side of sidewalks persay but does say shouldn't be going defiling my lawn

Old 09-19-2016, 11:45 AM

324 posts, read 574,731 times
I believe common courtesy is to keep your dog within a couple feet of the sidewalk and to pick up its poop. It's not courteous (or safe) to let your dog be 15-20 feet from you, no matter its size.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect dogs to not pee on your lawn. Many dogs' urine does not cause brown spots. It's unfortunate that it may make your lawn less than perfect, but there may be solutions to prevent them.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:02 PM

Get one of these,

https://www.amazon.com/ScareCrow-Mot.../dp/B000071NUS

Old 09-19-2016, 12:41 PM

would in initial bout of passive aggressiveness be in order? was thinking of just printing out the ordinance (shown above) and writing on it, curb your dog, put it in the mailbox of the main culprit (my next door neighbor)

Old 09-19-2016, 12:44 PM

wouldn't it be less weird to just knock on the door and ask in a non confrontational way?

Old 09-19-2016, 01:11 PM

93 posts, read 130,587 times
I used to sprinkle cayenne pepper on the brown spots of our lawn near the sidewalk and it worked very well. That's assuming you don't mind orange spots on your lawn. Just remember to reapply after rain. Habanero powder is also an option, but more expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007QUBY52...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey