Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2016, 04:23 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
5th graders don't cry as much as Trump does.

Has their ever been a bigger baby running for POTUS?
No.He is the worst human to ever be a nominee.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:58 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
No offense intended but I see that even here in NJ we have VERY strong opinions on who is right for the highest office in the world.

May our country be well, safe and prosperous going forward starting with whomever eventually gets sworn in as POTUS.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:43 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Because I like to deal w facts:
Your "facts" still doesn't change that we spend almost 3x China's and 9x Russia's.

Go to:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_expenditures

if you want to find some facts. The information there is from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute. Unless you want to say that it's a "liberal media source".

Imagine what those dollars for planes that don't fly or cost overruns could do for the bridges that are falling down, water systems falling apart, etc.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:53 AM

789 posts, read 702,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
Your "facts" still doesn't change that we spend almost 3x China's and 9x Russia's.

Go to:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_expenditures

if you want to find some facts. The information there is from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute. Unless you want to say that it's a "liberal media source".

Imagine what those dollars for planes that don't fly or cost overruns could do for the bridges that are falling down, water systems falling apart, etc.
I frankly don't care what Russia or China spend. That is not to say ALL budgets shouldn't be looked at each year to uncover waste and overspending. They should. But you don't base your defense budget on China or Russia. Should we base other parts of our budget using those two countries as a metric?

Old 10-26-2016, 11:15 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
I frankly don't care what Russia or China spend. That is not to say ALL budgets shouldn't be looked at each year to uncover waste and overspending. They should. But you don't base your defense budget on China or Russia. Should we base other parts of our budget using those two countries as a metric?
i believe we should base our defense budget on the threats to our country. as a country, we have very limited threats because of our geographic location. we are thousands of miles from russia, china, iraq, etc. etc. there is no conventional threat to the security of america. that means that military threats is narrowed down to missile defense and immigration. so we can scrap our aircraft carriers (maybe keep 1-3). we can close all of our overseas bases. we can drastically reduce the military headcount. we can drastically reduce our arsenal.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:47 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i believe we should base our defense budget on the threats to our country. as a country, we have very limited threats because of our geographic location. we are thousands of miles from russia, china, iraq, etc. etc. there is no conventional threat to the security of america. that means that military threats is narrowed down to missile defense and immigration. so we can scrap our aircraft carriers (maybe keep 1-3). we can close all of our overseas bases. we can drastically reduce the military headcount. we can drastically reduce our arsenal.
And who fills the vacuum? Russia? China? ISIS?

I am all for taking a hard look at military (or any) spending, but I think that you'rs suggesting that we stick our head in the sand.... and who knows what threats will have appeared while we pretend that no one is a threat.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post

I am all for taking a hard look at military (or any) spending, but I think that you'rs suggesting that we stick our head in the sand.... and who knows what threats will have appeared while we pretend that no one is a threat.
we will offer anyone wishing to fill the vacuum the opportunity to do so. its impressive how people are so convinced that america must maintain a military presence around the entire world or all will go to hell. the usa could sell weapons to nations that could help them defend against attack. seriously, why do i even have to answer as if its the burden of the american taxpayer to defend every country in the world????? if they care about their country, they can figure it out along with us. it should be bringing revenue to america, not costing taxpayers hundreds of billions and lives of US soldiers.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:28 PM

789 posts, read 702,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post

I agree with this. There is a happy medium. Yes we can disband military bases where no longer needed and take a fresh look at legacy stuff that just gets approved bc we always did. But we can't withdraw completely from the world. BTW, there is only one candidate talking about doing this stuff. The other is biz as usual.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:32 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Yes we can disband military bases where no longer needed.

This was done some years ago with BRAC.Exactly who is we?

Old 10-26-2016, 01:41 PM

351 posts, read 482,361 times
I'm not sure the main reason for our bases abroad are to defend other nations. In a more selfish way of thinking , I would say they were to deter our enemies from concentrating on our homeland as well as act as an extension of our power.

Would you rather see more countries in the world similar to ours? Or would you like to see more communist societies or theocracies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey