Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 09:27 AM

13 posts, read 11,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shet View Post
Put 2 engineer/drivers in the engine car.

Also for trains approaching terminal cut power to it if more than say 10 mph at 2 miles away or 5 mph at 1 mile away from terminal. Only thing is these are diesel trains so no way of cutting overhead wire power like for electric trains.
It's called a locomotive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 09:52 AM

87,982 posts, read 83,805,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by This Guy111 View Post
It's called a locomotive.
And that's not where the engineer sits anyway.

The engineer sits in a small cab area in the front of the first car on the train. I feel as if I've said this several times now, yet it doesn't seem to take hold.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:33 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,879,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And that's not where the engineer sits anyway.

The engineer sits in a small cab area in the front of the first car on the train. I feel as if I've said this several times now, yet it doesn't seem to take hold.
Has nobody ever seen NJT trains before? Bizarre that so many people between this thread and the one in current events don't understand how these trains look and work.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:39 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,934,400 times
Quote:
That's only true for certain types of electric trains like this GE Arrow III (I've actually ridden at the head end of one of these):

In the case of all diesels, or certain electrics like this Bombardier ALP-46, the engineer sits in the locomotive separate from passenger cars:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Has nobody ever seen NJT trains before? Bizarre that so many people between this thread and the one in current events don't understand how these trains look and work.
It depends on what line you frequent or that passes through your area. If you live along the NEC or ride it everyday, you might assume that every line is double tracked in each direction, fully electrified, and runs bi-level cars. Or, if you live on the Raritan Valley Line like I do, you might assume that all lines are single tracked and traversed only by diesel locomotives. NJTransit has a lot of different rolling stock and the various lines differ quite a bit, which is not surprising since the entire system is an amalgamation of the lines of different privately run railroads (Pennsylvania, Jersey Central, etc...). Finally, not everyone is a train nerd like some of us

Old 09-30-2016, 10:47 AM

520 posts, read 981,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Have you seen a diesel NJ transit train before?

Old 09-30-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
That's only true for certain types of electric trains like this GE Arrow III (I've actually ridden at the head end of one of these):

In the case of all diesels, or certain electrics like this Bombardier ALP-46, the engineer sits in the locomotive separate from passenger cars:

It depends on what line you frequent or that passes through your area. If you live along the NEC or ride it everyday, you might assume that every line is double tracked in each direction, fully electrified, and runs bi-level cars. Or, if you live on the Raritan Valley Line like I do, you might assume that all lines are single tracked and traversed only by diesel locomotives. NJTransit has a lot of different rolling stock and the various lines differ quite a bit, which is not surprising since the entire system is an amalgamation of the lines of different privately run railroads (Pennsylvania, Jersey Central, etc...). Finally, not everyone is a train nerd like some of us
Hahaha, yes, you are right, there are these types, as well. The train that crashed was, from the pictures, obviously the other type with the cab in the front of the flat-faced car.

I commuted for 37 years--first on the Bergen-Main Line, then the Boonton Line, then back to the Bergen-Main, then finally for the last six years on the NJ Coast Line. I did have several occasions over the years when I took rides on the Pascack Valley and the NEC.

I don't know of ANY case, however, where the engineer sits at the back of a NJT train as so many seem to think. I could be wrong.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:06 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,934,400 times
Quote:
I don't know of ANY case, however, where the engineer sits at the back of a NJT train as so many seem to think. I could be wrong.
I think the confusion here is due to the configuration of the locomotive, which can be seen in this video:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/surve...ashed-42457585

The engineer sits at the head end, but he is controlling the locomotive, which is pushing from the rear, rather than pulling from the front.

Last edited by Badfish740; 09-30-2016 at 11:16 AM..

Old 09-30-2016, 11:29 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,879,576 times
Quote:
Yes this is what I was referring to.

I'm aware of all the trains used as I frequent the RVL, NEC and North Jersey Coast lines with occasional trips on whatever line gets you to the Meadowlands but I've never seen the train engineer operating the train from the back - as in sitting anywhere but the front.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I think the confusion here is due to the configuration of the locomotive, which can be seen in this video:

Surveillance Video Shows NJ Train Before It Crashed Video - ABC News

The engineer sits at the head end, but he is controlling the locomotive, which is pushing from the rear, rather than pulling from the front.
Probably. In reality, he's sitting at the controls looking out the window on the right in the front of the head car.

That reminded me, years ago there was a heavy snow followed by a fast melt, and the tracks in Hoboken were flooded. They informed us that we couldn't get into the terminal so the trains were taking us back to our stations where we could get buses.

A girl on the train started complaining that it would take too long and asked how they were going to get all the trains to do U-turns on the tracks. Someone gently informed her that there was no need to do U-turns--the locomotives could push OR pull.

You are correct, though, those of us who have spent our lives working in public transportation and/or using it probably assume people know more than they do. I am always perplexed when there is a grade-crossing accident when people say, "Well, why didn't the train just STOP?" As if all those tons of steel hurtling at the speed they're going can just...STOP.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:14 PM

520 posts, read 981,805 times
The passcack valley trains when approaching Hoboken has diesel engine on rear and when leaving Hoboken has it on the front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey