Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 11:36 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Never been there, but just the name Pizza-Town USA repulses me. Am I the only one who thinks it sounds like the name of some bad pizza place in rural Kentucky?
I forgot about Pizza-Town. Last was there in the 80s.

All the places in the article have the same disadvantage. They aren't close to me. Sorry, but I am going to go to the best pizza place NEAR ME rather than travel an hour for a slice that might not live up to some reputation. I've got a couple good ones close by here in eastern Monmouth County.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-08-2016 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 11:39 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Never been there, but just the name Pizza-Town USA repulses me. Am I the only one who thinks it sounds like the name of some bad pizza place in rural Kentucky?
That was my first thought. Pizza Town? That's as bad as Dress Barn.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:50 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

All the places in the article have the sane disadvantage. They aren't close to me. Sorry, but I am going to go to the best pizza place NEAR ME rather than travel an hour for a slice that might not live up to some reputation. I've got a couple good ones close by here in eastern Monmouth County.
These lists are pretty arbitrary. There are definitely great pizza places in Monmouth County, some in Ocean, too. There is great pizza all over the area - and some not so great pizza too. When you have such a high concentration of pizza places, most of them probably pretty great, it's difficult and IMO arbitrary to pick 5 or 10 or whatever of the "best."

Also you guys know how Star Tavern in Orange is usually regarded as being the very best or notoriously amazing? I went there last year and while the pizza was good, we found it to be rather greasy and thin, thus kind of soggy. Tasted great and I did overall enjoy but did not expect it to be so greasy. I love thin crust but if it's also greasy I'm not into soggy pizza. Maybe I went on a bad night but considering its reputation we were a bit disappointed. So the point is - I tend to ignore these lists and keep going where I like.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:32 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1
While pizza outside of the NYC/NJ/CT area tends to be very bad in general, the absolute worst pizza that I ever ate was in the town of Holland, Michigan. It was a heavy, wet mass of undercooked dough, covered with...God only knows what type of tasteless cheese, and it was so heavy that I had a hard time staying awake after eating it. I only ate it because I was very hungry, but at least that episode taught me to avoid pizza in the central part of The US.

I know a woman who grew up in Missouri before moving to NJ, and she described Missouri pizza as being like saltines covered with ketchup and Cheese Whiz. So, in addition to the left coast, I would also advise avoiding pizza anywhere in the middle of the country.
That sounds like a Chicago style pizza for you which makes sense as Michigan is closer to Chicago and people there love have wet and undercooked dough and tons of fake mozzarella cheese.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:20 AM

19,127 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That sounds like a Chicago style pizza for you which makes sense as Michigan is closer to Chicago and people there love have wet and undercooked dough and tons of fake mozzarella cheese.
Actually, it wasn't. Before driving through Michigan, I had been in Chicago, and while I can't say that I really liked the "Chicago-style" pizza that I ate in The Windy City, it was still head and shoulders in quality above the junk that I ordered in Holland, Michigan.

The pie in Holland, Michigan wasn't a deep-dish style. When it came to our table, my friend and I observed that it had been cooked on a normal, flat pizza pan. However, it was severely undercooked--at least by my standards. If that pizza place had been in business for awhile, it probably met the expectations of the folks in that area--which isn't saying much by NYC/NJ/CT standards!

Old 10-09-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Actually, it wasn't. Before driving through Michigan, I had been in Chicago, and while I can't say that I really liked the "Chicago-style" pizza that I ate in The Windy City, it was still head and shoulders in quality above the junk that I ordered in Holland, Michigan.

The pie in Holland, Michigan wasn't a deep-dish style. When it came to our table, my friend and I observed that it had been cooked on a normal, flat pizza pan. However, it was severely undercooked--at least by my standards. If that pizza place had been in business for awhile, it probably met the expectations of the folks in that area--which isn't saying much by NYC/NJ/CT standards!
One time over on General US there was a discussion on regional foods and who does what better and I remember a couple of posters from the West claiming that the whole country can do pizza and Italian good/the same and that all regions of the country all make equally good food... but the Southwest does Mexican the best and every other region can't do Mexican. That's one reason I decided to leave the crazy and irrational General US and City v City world.

In my travels and experience it's obvious we over here are gifted in the arts of pizza and bagels, and Italian in general.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:25 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Vic's in Bradley Beach should be higher up on the list,definitely top ten.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:34 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

All the places in the article have the same disadvantage. They aren't close to me. Sorry, but I am going to go to the best pizza place NEAR ME rather than travel an hour for a slice that might not live up to some reputation. I've got a couple good ones close by here in eastern Monmouth County.
Luckily, good pizza is pretty easy to find in New Jersey. When I travel, I don't even bother eating pizza or Italian in general because I know it will never be as good as home. Several people I know that have been to Italy itself have told me that our pizza is even better than theirs!!

Old 10-09-2016, 09:41 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Luckily, good pizza is pretty easy to find in New Jersey. When I travel, I don't even bother eating pizza or Italian in general because I know it will never be as good as home. Several people I know that have been to Italy itself have told me that our pizza is even better than theirs!!
I went to London last year and actually had a really good personal pie at an Italian place in Covent Garden. I forget the name, but it was really tasty and better than I expected.

As a matter of fact, of the three cities I visited--Amsterdam, Paris, and London--London had the best food. i was surprised, because that is not the stereotype, or perhaps it wasn't at one time. There was some good food in all three places, don't get me wrong, but London had more of a variety, especially for vegetarians. And I was pretty happy with that pizza.

But I'm also happy with my dumpy little place in Eatontown.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Haha as someone who's been to Italy - and the Naples region/southern area at that aka the birthplace of pizza, I can tell you that their pizza and our NYC area pizzas are quite similar. Italian pizza was excellent but I don't remember ever thinking it was like leagues better than ours or anything. I honestly thought they were pretty equal. Their default pizza is margherita which many places here of course also make. Some pizza places' default/plain pizza here is the margherita as well. I do remember Italian pizza having olive oil drizzled on top though, which in my experience isn't usually done here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey