Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 03:46 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
You know what place beat them all? Bricks. They were a mini chain (about 6 stores at their peak) in North Jersey, and they had amazing brick oven pizza that didn't char the crust into dust. They were all gone by 2008. I'll never understand why. It was truly the best pizza I ever had.
Uck! Their pizza was mediocre at best (in my opinion of course!) Sorry..but there was a reason they closed

I have been to DeLorenzo's and it was packed and the pizza was great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 03:51 PM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Too bad you need gas in your car to get there.
Pizza or gas?

Old 10-10-2016, 12:50 PM

109 posts, read 125,410 times
I actually prefer Papa's in Robbinsville over De-Lo's, another former Trenton pizzeria/tomato pie spot.

My favorite tomato pie is actually Anthony's Pizza Town in Bordentown City.

My favorite NY style pizza comes from Nino's in North Brunswick.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:28 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thOfNovemner View Post
While on vacation to a different coast, I have discovered that after Pizza in NJ/NYC, Pizza in some other states is neither really Pizza or edible.
Pizza in FL is like frozen "pizza" if someone put dropped in a toilet and then said "Don't want to waste money" and served it. Even in the higher end eateries. Which is weird, because there are Italian people in FL. I haven't eat all kind of pizza in Chicago (I lived in FL for a bit), but deep dish pizza is really unappetizing. It's sort of like a pizza casserole. Very soggy.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:11 AM

862 posts, read 975,776 times
good pizza is harder to find outside NJ and NYC area, but what good is a list if it's the whole state, like I am not going to drive to Trenton for a pizza, the farthest is maybe 1 town over if its really good, also everyone has their personal opinion, me I like thin crust pizza like you would get at Ralph's in Nutley, but look on yelp and people either love it or hate it.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:51 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,636,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
good pizza is harder to find outside NJ and NYC area, but what good is a list if it's the whole state, like I am not going to drive to Trenton for a pizza, the farthest is maybe 1 town over if its really good, also everyone has their personal opinion, me I like thin crust pizza like you would get at Ralph's in Nutley, but look on yelp and people either love it or hate it.

Yeah, everyone really does have their preferences when it comes to pizza which is why it's hard to go by any list other than your own. But I will say, if you like thin crust, do yourself a favor and check out Star Tavern in Orange, NJ. They rank highly on a few lists and they certainly live up to the hype IMO.

Last edited by HudsonCoNJ; 10-11-2016 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-11-2016, 11:49 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Whenever I see these lists, I think 'brick oven pizza, need to order a whole pie, going with a date or 5 people' type joints should be separated from 'grabbing a slice for lunch or a quick bite' type joints.

It's almost a different kind of food. I am ALWAYS looking for good places to find the latter...

Old 10-11-2016, 12:04 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
My worst pizza experience was in Duck, NC (OBX). We were a group of 10 and when we starting eating the slices we all started looking at each other like "WTF is this?". Horrible....bland, undercooked. It looked normal when it came out but WTH knows what they did with it. It was very $$$$ too. UGH.

My favorite is a place in Penn Station just named "Pizza", LOL. Maybe it has a name but it's not advertised.

I have a good place by me so I'm not going out of my way. The majority of pizza is good here. My boys are at school out of state and they said they are desperately missing good pizza and bagels.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:16 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Yeah, everyone really does have their preferences when it comes to pizza which is why it's hard to go by any list other than your own. But I will say, if you like thin crust, do yourself a favor and check out Star Tavern in Orange, NJ. They rank highly on a few lists and they certainly live up to the hype IMO.

Agree, another that should be on that list and isn't is Squan Tavern in Manasquan great thin crust!

Old 10-11-2016, 07:34 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
Pizza in FL is like frozen "pizza" if someone put dropped in a toilet and then said "Don't want to waste money" and served it. Even in the higher end eateries. Which is weird, because there are Italian people in FL. I haven't eat all kind of pizza in Chicago (I lived in FL for a bit), but deep dish pizza is really unappetizing. It's sort of like a pizza casserole. Very soggy.
Umbertos and Primanti Brothers in Fort Lauderdale are pretty good. I think the Umberto's owner is from Long Island, Primanti is from Pittsburgh of all places.

I've been disappointed in the pizza in my part of NJ. I like the "New York style" typified by Grimaldi's in Brooklyn. I got better versions of that in suburban Pennsylvania than here. Pizzetta in Millburn is good. Fortissimo in West Orange varies a lot and I usually have to cook it some more. Frank's in Verona is too dry and I won't even speak of the place in Essex Green.

It seems the popular kind around here is the "tavern style" like Star Tavern; aside from Star Tavern itself, there's a place in Vauxhall called Joe's which has a good version of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey