U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 11:12 AM

1,465 posts, read 3,229,630 times

Advertisements

I find it funny that people want to stop development in towns as soon as they have their place. One of my favorite lines I saw on the internet was

We need more housing
We need more housing
We need more housing
Thanks for my house
Stop over development
Stop over development
Stop over development
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 11:37 AM

860 posts, read 804,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
I find it funny that people want to stop development in towns as soon as they have their place. One of my favorite lines I saw on the internet was

We need more housing
We need more housing
We need more housing
Thanks for my house
Stop over development
Stop over development
Stop over development
Tell me something I don't know. Everyone wants to be the last person to move into their neighborhood.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:28 PM

12,899 posts, read 12,328,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post

We need more housing
We need more housing
We need more housing
Thanks for my house
Stop over development
Stop over development
Stop over development
My family has lived in Cranford since the 1960s. I am in no way new to this town and haven't recently gotten "my place" here. My house was built in the 50s.

It's not about having your place and wanting no one else to have the same. It's about the region being dense and overpopulated enough and that we don't have room for all the people so many apartment buildings will bring into the general area. They're building on so many lots now, all over the state.

The strain these new buildings are already adding onto local infrastructure is noticeable and it's not in a good way. If you want to live in a place where they are building apartments in suburban towns on any available space they can squeeze through that's fine. But I don't like it, and I don't have to, and it has nothing to do with me having what I don't want others to have. We are already the densest state in the country and our roads and highways are terrible and our public transit systems need updating. We need more tunnels for trains into the city, we need a new Penn Station in NY, we need more cars on the PATH. It feels like we need more lanes on highways, more parking in downtowns and cities would be nice. All the building to bring more people in solves nothing and only adds to existing traffic problems and lack of space on mass transit. Building multiple 500 unit apartments at a time helps nothing unless you like more traffic and crowding on trains.

I have never seen traffic in Cranford on North and South Avenues like I see now after the new developments came in - even outside of rush hour (it's worse than ever at rush hour). Neither has my family who has lived here since the 60s. I used to be able to find street parking downtown on a random weekday afternoon until quite recently. Now I drive around multiple times when all I want is a bagel and usually I wind up parking blocks away. We don't have room for all the building they want to do. I wouldn't mind as much if it was some single family homes, but they're building huge apartment complexes. Adding so many people to a town which has had crowded schools since I was in elementary school 15 years ago isn't very smart. They're even building two family new homes (duplexes) after knocking down old Victorians on what were once single family homes and lots. It's like they want to add as many people as they can yet don't think about the strain on traffic, mass transit, schools, etc. But they won't build single family homes because Cranford has been well built up since the 60s and they have no room in desirable locations for homes - so they built apartments wherever they can instead. No one bats an eye about living in apartment on a main road on the Roselle border like they would if someone tried to build a little neighborhood over there. The only space left in Cranford basically is parkland. It's not like we have a plethora of available land anywhere in this general area. They're building in already very crowded areas and adding hundreds, probably thousands, to local populations.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 10-18-2016 at 02:45 PM..

Old 10-18-2016, 02:55 PM

2,120 posts, read 1,734,784 times
Then where should people live?

Old 10-18-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Then where should people live?
I don't know and I don't think that's my problem. But I don't see a need to crowd an already crowded area when we don't have room for more people. If we improved public transit like we need to, if we built more access into the city like we can and need to, if we efficiently fixed and maintained roads and bridges, if we could somehow lessen traffic issues locally and get parking sorted out, if towns took one of the lots they're allowing condos on to build a new school instead... but no one's doing that, at least I don't see it where I live.

Building is all about the money, for the developers and the towns. No one really considers the strain multiple complexes will have on the town and general area much.

Maybe not everybody gets to live here (in NJ) especially if it's at the expense of lifelong residents. I get that NYC is very expensive but that's not our problem to fix unless we can fix it in a way that doesn't also negatively impact us. Fixing it by building apartments everywhere to attract younger singles and couples, with the draw of mass transit, isn't fixing anything at all when it's leading to increased traffic and strain on local schools and transit. This state is already the densest in the country.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:50 AM

9 posts, read 19,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CranfordGuy243 View Post
My wife and I live in Cranford with our kids and dog and we really enjoy it. The downtown is pretty decent and there are good food options with a lot going on. People in general are friendly and it's certainly a hot real estate area. Definitely a better feel than many other suburbs for people coming from a city (like we did). Our only complaint is the huge emphasis on sports that seems to be prevalent throughout the schools - but that's likely not going to affect you.

Having said that, if we didn't have kids we would prefer Maplewood/SO because there's definitely more of an arts/culture and liberal vibe than Cranford. I think as a couple with no kids you may have an easier time meeting people and making friends. Also, I'd throw in the rub that Maplewood is more worth it the closer you are to the downtown area. If you live further east in Maplewood you could find yourself as much as 2 miles from the downtown and very close to the Irvington border.
That's what we're struggling with, CranfordGuy243: We aren't willing to pay more than 500K for a house, esp. if it comes with 12K in annual taxes, so that leaves us either in Maplewood near the Irvington or the Union/Vauxhall border (hoping that the real estate market holds there, so the value of any place we buy doesn't drop precipitously, but also hoping it doesn't soar too much higher, for fear the property taxes will also soar and crime, particularly near Irvington, may become more of a factor) or in Cranford, likely also not in one of the most desirable areas.

Since you seem to understand what we're struggling with, maybe you can speak to this: As someone who would prefer "more of an arts/culture and liberal vibe," do you think we may find Cranford less open-minded? A focus on sports in schools wouldn't affect us, per se, but I do think it speaks to the culture at large. If your kid wasn't into sports and wanted to start a writing group, do you think he or she would be looked askance at by most of the other kids? By their parents? That's what I really want to know. Because we can go our own way (we chose not to have kids, after all), but I'd hate to be in a place where people didn't respect our choice to do so.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:03 AM

2,816 posts, read 1,955,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't know and I don't think that's my problem. But I don't see a need to crowd an already crowded area when we don't have room for more people. If we improved public transit like we need to, if we built more access into the city like we can and need to, if we efficiently fixed and maintained roads and bridges, if we could somehow lessen traffic issues locally and get parking sorted out, if towns took one of the lots they're allowing condos on to build a new school instead... but no one's doing that, at least I don't see it where I live.

Building is all about the money, for the developers and the towns. No one really considers the strain multiple complexes will have on the town and general area much.

Maybe not everybody gets to live here (in NJ) especially if it's at the expense of lifelong residents. I get that NYC is very expensive but that's not our problem to fix unless we can fix it in a way that doesn't also negatively impact us. Fixing it by building apartments everywhere to attract younger singles and couples, with the draw of mass transit, isn't fixing anything at all when it's leading to increased traffic and strain on local schools and transit. This state is already the densest in the country.

I don't know anything about Cranford (I don't think I've ever even been there), but your concern is not unique to Cranford. I always find it a bit hypocritical when residents of a certain town frown upon newcomers overpopulating their town when it's likely those newcomers that help add to what makes the town desirable (i.e.- new businesses opening up to cater to that new, often more affluent demographic). It's like Manhattanites complaining about a restaurant being crowded with the "bridge and tunnel" crowd. If it wasn't for the bridge and tunnel crowd, that restaurant would likely not even exist.

Also, according to Wikipedia, there hasn't really been a drastic population change in Cranford over the last several decades (it's actually down from the 60's, 70's, and 80's):

Historical population Census Pop.
1880 1,184
1890 1,717
45.0% 1900 2,854
66.2% 1910 3,641
27.6% 1920 6,001
64.8% 1930 11,126
85.4% 1940 12,860
15.6% 1950 18,602
44.7% 1960 26,424
42.0% 1970 27,391
3.7% 1980 24,573
−10.3% 1990 22,633
−7.9% 2000 22,578
−0.2% 2010 22,625
0.2% Est. 2015 24,143 [14][29] 6.7%

Old 10-19-2016, 08:16 AM

5,556 posts, read 2,058,610 times
At the risk of being a Debbie Downer, I have to point out that towns change in feeling and demographics. And it can happen pretty fast. A town that may be perfect for you today may feel very different in 3 to 5 years. An extreme example would be Williamsburg but I've seen it happen in a lot of NJ suburban towns. Heck, it happened to a few of the towns that I've lived in, much to many of the resident's dismay.
I remember people moving to Teaneck because they like the mix of families and integrated schools, and then it became largely orthodox - who would have thunk that many of the main street stores would be closed on Saturday. Town like Palisades Park or Hoboken or Edgewater have all changed in very different but profound ways I could name another dozen places. The only thing you can count on is that things change.
The Cranford of today is not like the Cranford of 5 or 10 years ago.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:55 AM

77 posts, read 66,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yes the court ruled in the developer's favor. Cranford has dragged it on for YEARS.
I'm not sure how many are going up but they've put TWO new developments on the south side, can Hillside handle it? The high school? Can Cranford as a whole handle all the development? I don't think so but the township doesn't seem to care. Traffic downtown and in and out down North and South is already a mess even not at rush hour. South by the new development downtown (Starbucks, River and Rail) is always crowded. There's not enough parking downtown or at the train. NJT and PATH are crowded. Highways are crowded. In general we don't have room for all these new complexes and all the people they will bring out of the cities and into the suburb areas. Towns needs to stop building. More are going up in Westfield and Garwood as well, at least in the planning stages.
We did some research on the birchwood apartments.... they are getting a huge tax rebate for including low income housing. Those taxes come out of the town, not county or sate, which means that our property taxes will go up to pay for that. To me that is a HUGE problem, our taxes are already high and I really don't appreciate having to pay more to accommodate some developer.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janxo View Post
We did some research on the birchwood apartments.... they are getting a huge tax rebate for including low income housing. Those taxes come out of the town, not county or sate, which means that our property taxes will go up to pay for that. To me that is a HUGE problem, our taxes are already high and I really don't appreciate having to pay more to accommodate some developer.
All the development just completely sucks and is not in the best interest of the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey