U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 08:09 AM

4,896 posts, read 10,964,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
I find it funny that people want to stop development in towns as soon as they have their place. One of my favorite lines I saw on the internet was

We need more housing
We need more housing
We need more housing
Thanks for my house
Stop over development
Stop over development
Stop over development
This reminds me of my town. Everyone in my town complains how we don't have enough businesses in town to help offset the taxes for homeowners. About a year ago Quick Chek wanted to open a location in town and everyone went nuts about how it was such a bad idea, would cause more traffic, pollution, you name it...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 08:12 AM

462 posts, read 466,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
This reminds me of my town. Everyone in my town complains how we don't have enough businesses in town to help offset the taxes for homeowners. About a year ago Quick Chek wanted to open a location in town and everyone went nuts about how it was such a bad idea, would cause more traffic, pollution, you name it...

Yeah, it is a Catch-22 situation. People want to have a nice commute, great shopping, walkable downtown, beautiful parks, great schools, but those things come with a price. 20 years ago I bet a lot of the same people complaining about how Cranford is "too crowded" complained that "its so boring here". You can't have it all, at least without paying a lot for it. 99% of us have to compromise. That's life.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:55 AM

12,899 posts, read 12,335,326 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbach View Post
Yeah, it is a Catch-22 situation. People want to have a nice commute, great shopping, walkable downtown, beautiful parks, great schools, but those things come with a price. 20 years ago I bet a lot of the same people complaining about how Cranford is "too crowded" complained that "its so boring here". You can't have it all, at least without paying a lot for it. 99% of us have to compromise. That's life.
Most people don't mind businesses (though Cranford has always been very anti-chain), they mind the addition of multiple 100+ unit apartment complexes.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:40 AM

462 posts, read 466,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Most people don't mind businesses (though Cranford has always been very anti-chain), they mind the addition of multiple 100+ unit apartment complexes.
I don't blame you on that, but those apartment complexes help keep your taxes down as well. If a community/town is well planned growth can be achieved without sacrificing privacy too much. But lets face it, Cranford is a nice town and people want to live there, so you are going to have some of the development issues that you cite.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:42 AM

10,020 posts, read 17,202,599 times
Quote:
Seemed to me most of that was pushed by the few businesses that are on Northfield already. Oooh, can't have a gas station on a major road (never mind there's one there already). Fortunately they couldn't stop the replacement Dunkin Donuts.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:45 AM

2,834 posts, read 1,962,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Seemed to me most of that was pushed by the few businesses that are on Northfield already. Oooh, can't have a gas station on a major road (never mind there's one there already). Fortunately they couldn't stop the replacement Dunkin Donuts.

St Cloud Deli and Argyle Marketplace > Quick Chek

Old 11-04-2016, 01:09 PM

77 posts, read 66,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbach View Post
I don't blame you on that, but those apartment complexes help keep your taxes down as well. If a community/town is well planned growth can be achieved without sacrificing privacy too much. But lets face it, Cranford is a nice town and people want to live there, so you are going to have some of the development issues that you cite.
Actually, the apartments that are being built on Birchwood will increase property taxes. They are getting massive tax breaks for building those at the towns expenses.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:44 PM

4,896 posts, read 10,964,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janxo View Post
Actually, the apartments that are being built on Birchwood will increase property taxes. They are getting massive tax breaks for building those at the towns expenses.
Why would a town like Cranford offer tax abatements to developers? What's in it for the town?

Old 11-04-2016, 03:53 PM

77 posts, read 66,146 times
they lost a lawsuit... the developers are building low income housing

Old 11-06-2016, 01:15 PM

26,065 posts, read 19,306,488 times
Quote:
Why would a town like Cranford offer tax abatements to developers? What's in it for the town?
As with many other NJ towns, villages, local areas Cranford has been found to be in violation of various rulings regarding "affordable housing". The town needs about 500 units in order to be in compliance, so.....

Court approves Cranford housing units - Union News Daily
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey