U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-06-2016, 02:00 PM
 
12,899 posts, read 12,326,278 times
Reputation: 18373

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
As with many other NJ towns, villages, local areas Cranford has been found to be in violation of various rulings regarding "affordable housing". The town needs about 500 units in order to be in compliance, so.....


Court approves Cranford housing units - Union News Daily
Ordinances like that shouldn't even exist.

Word around town years ago (don't know if it's true) was that there was some way out of that rule and Cranford dragged its feet doing so on time and is now being forced into buildings all these low income apartments.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2016, 04:34 PM
 
7,941 posts, read 7,705,834 times
Reputation: 5863
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
I'd say you're not going to lose out either way. Cranford will have lower taxes and Maplewood has a nicer downtown (what I'd give for a bookstore like Words!). As far as if you'd be accepted into Cranford, it's got an immense amount of public spirit, almost bordering on maniacal. People support the street fair, they come out for events, they go to the local school plays, it can get intense. But it also means you're going to run into people out on the streets and meet people and make friends.

I'd say it's easier to make friends once you move to a town when there are kids involved, but you're going to have to work at it no matter where you go. If necessary, I'll introduce you to the other couple I know with a dog and no kids and you guys can go on walksies.
My office I work out of is in Cranford so I take a long walksie from the train station frequently. Cranford is like Pleasantville. Lots of dog walking and stroller pushing, sometimes even at the same time. Kids at soccer practice, fundraisers for the football team, very WASPY white collar atmosphere. I've never taken a poll but I'd wager half the younger couples with kids are probably ex-New Yorkers who got fed up and moved back to America.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2016, 04:42 PM
 
7,941 posts, read 7,705,834 times
Reputation: 5863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janxo View Post
they lost a lawsuit... the developers are building low income housing
They can move some people in from the projects in Newark if you want.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2016, 10:09 AM
 
Location: cranford, NJ
77 posts, read 66,048 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
They can move some people in from the projects in Newark if you want.
oh goodness... I went to school in Newark and that was enough to last me several lifetimes and more.

Realistically, I've seen developments like the ones they are building, and i've known people who live in them. I have no problem with the demographics, but I do have a problem with rich developers making money off of the backs of middle class families. As i'm sure is true for many other families, we worked very hard to be able to buy a house and made a lot of sacrifices in when we were younger to get to where we are.
If these developers want to build housing here, they should be paying the their fair share of taxes, instead they are getting subsidies.

On a side note, I'm really really curious if they had to get any kind of variance from the houses on Wadsworth. If they did I can't imagine what they would have to offer to get those families to agree.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2016, 04:05 PM
 
Location: W Hartford, CT
2,154 posts, read 4,071,741 times
Reputation: 1877
As someone who knows Cranford well, I can tell you this may be a good fit. I have immediate family members who grew up there, and I have relatives who still live there now. It's a wonderful town. As others have said, it's far more suburban compared to Brooklyn, but like some of the less congested parts of the borough, Cranford is a more mature suburb so it's an older housing stock with many old, beautiful homes and pre-war apartment buildings. My mother grew up in such a house, on Prospect Avenue, and the neighborhood is still pristine. Cranford would work well because it's more densely populated and faster paced than a typical suburb but just large enough where you don't feel overwhelmed. There's also a great downtown and access to the city (though I think this involves a layover in Newark). It's also a bit less of a tax burden than Maplewood and the schools in Cranford are better, too. I also think you're budget would go further there. I admit, I don't live in the city and I have a different perspective, but if I ever find myself working in New York City, Cranford would be at the top of the list of places I would consider living.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2016, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Central NJ and PA
4,312 posts, read 1,605,043 times
Reputation: 3303
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
^ Many newcomers to Cranford with young kids are IMHO insufferable. Super annoying on Cranford social media. It's like they want this perfect town. They complain about everything and want everything perfect for their kids - not a single cigarette butt on a playground, available parking spaces at Nomahegan all day every day, people to always stop at crosswalks so their kids can cross after school (I know this is law but in reality sometimes we don't see someone trying to cross in time due to obstructions for example). Some of these people can be incredibly annoying with their expectations and how they seem to want to mold the town - which IMO is quite bold as newcomers. People come in with all these demands and ideas and settled residents are like - whoa. Lots of very petty stuff.

Perhaps this is the "intense maniacal public spirit" you see. Trust me I have lived in Cranford my whole life and so has my mother and we have never before seen people like this. Recent newcomers are seriously something else, and I think part of the problem is social media. With all these groups online and new ways to complain and enact change people come out of the woodwork complaining and wanting to change any and every little thing. If you want a laugh PM me and I'll give you the name of a good Cranford group on FB where you can see this type of thing.

Overall it is a great, albeit quickly changing town, with all the construction, but I do agree it's geared more for families with kids. However with the addition of so many new apartment buildings this could start changing. Time will tell I think. But chances are if you buy a house in a neighborhood you will be surrounded by kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
As with many other NJ towns, villages, local areas Cranford has been found to be in violation of various rulings regarding "affordable housing". The town needs about 500 units in order to be in compliance, so.....


Court approves Cranford housing units - Union News Daily
Berkeley Heights, too. I don't remember the number of units we're required to have, but it's ridiculous. We've been here just over a year, and we're still number 128 on the waiting list for a parking space at the train station, and there are already streets that become impassible during rush hour - mostly south of us; Plainfield and Bonnie Burn, Hillcrest, Diamond Hill Road... Putting in that many units of housing without doing something about the surrounding infrastructure is nuts!


I'm somewhat hypocritical for agreeing with JerseyGirl's post, being newcomers ourselves, but in the year we've been here, four of the houses on our street have already turned over. The young couple that moved in next door to us immediately put up a fence and started bitching about the road surface in front of their house. I'm worried that this town we love will become something we don't, before we even know it. The house across from us was pretty much a tear down, though the foundation was kept (and expanded), and a very large house is taking it's place. It's beautiful and tastefully done, but I'm worried because the more expensive houses seem to attract people that have unrealistic expectations and fit the 'we want to change everything' mentality.


Sorry for the hijack, OP. We have a friend in Maplewood who also moved from the city, and he loves it. Even though there's train access to the city, he takes the bus in, so that might be something to look into, depending on what area of the city you're commuting to.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2016, 03:20 PM
 
12,899 posts, read 12,326,278 times
Reputation: 18373
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Berkeley Heights, too. I don't remember the number of units we're required to have, but it's ridiculous. We've been here just over a year, and we're still number 128 on the waiting list for a parking space at the train station, and there are already streets that become impassible during rush hour - mostly south of us; Plainfield and Bonnie Burn, Hillcrest, Diamond Hill Road... Putting in that many units of housing without doing something about the surrounding infrastructure is nuts!

I'm somewhat hypocritical for agreeing with JerseyGirl's post, being newcomers ourselves, but in the year we've been here, four of the houses on our street have already turned over. The young couple that moved in next door to us immediately put up a fence and started bitching about the road surface in front of their house. I'm worried that this town we love will become something we don't, before we even know it. The house across from us was pretty much a tear down, though the foundation was kept (and expanded), and a very large house is taking it's place. It's beautiful and tastefully done, but I'm worried because the more expensive houses seem to attract people that have unrealistic expectations and fit the 'we want to change everything' mentality.
Haha I understand, and it's not ALL newcomers, just a general and gradual trend I've noticed. There are definitely some awesome and sensible newbies.

But yeah this area is experiencing a housing (apartments) boom we just don't have room for. Simple as that. I'm sure people will try to disagree and fight me on this but I'd like to see them dispute facts like you and I have put out - increased traffic, long wait lists for train parking (Cranford has the same issue and even had it before they decided to build apartments, some not within reasonable walking distance to the train), more crowded trains, we all know we have crowded and outdated highways, outdated and not enough tunnels under the river, etc etc. Maybe even overcrowded schools for some areas.

#128 on the list for parking for over a year, but hey, let's add MORE people to an old, well settled and already well built up NE NJ town.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2016, 05:16 PM
 
Location: cranford, NJ
77 posts, read 66,048 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Haha I understand, and it's not ALL newcomers, just a general and gradual trend I've noticed. There are definitely some awesome and sensible newbies.

But yeah this area is experiencing a housing (apartments) boom we just don't have room for. Simple as that. I'm sure people will try to disagree and fight me on this but I'd like to see them dispute facts like you and I have put out - increased traffic, long wait lists for train parking (Cranford has the same issue and even had it before they decided to build apartments, some not within reasonable walking distance to the train), more crowded trains, we all know we have crowded and outdated highways, outdated and not enough tunnels under the river, etc etc. Maybe even overcrowded schools for some areas.

#128 on the list for parking for over a year, but hey, let's add MORE people to an old, well settled and already well built up NE NJ town.
We are newbies to town as well.... but in all fairness, all towns need some amount of turnover. There are tons of houses that desperately need to be repaired, our house was one of them.

We had no problem getting a parking permit- we closed in feb of 2014 and waited less than 6 months. We hardly use it, but i'm reluctant to give it up because I know how hard it would be to get again.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2016, 05:20 PM
 
12,899 posts, read 12,326,278 times
Reputation: 18373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janxo View Post
We are newbies to town as well.... but in all fairness, all towns need some amount of turnover. There are tons of houses that desperately need to be repaired, our house was one of them.

We had no problem getting a parking permit- we closed in feb of 2014 and waited less than 6 months. We hardly use it, but i'm reluctant to give it up because I know how hard it would be to get again.
A train station parking permit? If you don't commute to the city or otherwise take the train elsewhere daily for work, you SHOULD give it up...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2016, 05:41 PM
 
9 posts, read 19,230 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janxo View Post
We are newbies to town as well.... but in all fairness, all towns need some amount of turnover. There are tons of houses that desperately need to be repaired, our house was one of them.

We had no problem getting a parking permit- we closed in feb of 2014 and waited less than 6 months. We hardly use it, but i'm reluctant to give it up because I know how hard it would be to get again.
Uh, want to share it? They told me in July when I put my name on the list that the wait was two years. Driving my husband to and from the station's going to get old quick when the snow hits.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top