Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2016, 06:49 PM

10,220 posts, read 19,145,986 times

Advertisements

I know the area mostly by biking through it; I think the part near the reservation is really nice. Not the place if you're looking for the walkable downtown and NYC transportation, but nice quiet suburbia.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 06:56 PM

29 posts, read 57,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I know the area mostly by biking through it; I think the part near the reservation is really nice. Not the place if you're looking for the walkable downtown and NYC transportation, but nice quiet suburbia.
Every place mentioned so far is nice, quiet suburbia.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:41 AM

140 posts, read 147,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
My wife works in Green Brook and I work in Clark, so that doesn't bother us.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:01 AM

8 posts, read 6,913 times
Mountainside has so much going for it! Great schools, good property sizes for the taxes, convenient location. . . . And though it doesn't have a traditional downtown, there is a small strip of stores/eateries on Mountain Ave that you could easily get to in less than 10 minutes from the other side of the highway where you're looking. I love the Publick House restaurant, Diamatsu Sushi, Mazzella's Market, all on that block! And you'll find there are lots of places you can get to without even going on route 22, like the strip mall that has Outback Steakhouse, No Body Denied gym, and there's a great little bodega in there with fresh fruits and veggies that's good when you don't have time for a full supermarket run.

It sounds like you already have a realtor, but feel free to message me if you don't and you'd like to see some properties. I work at Coldwell Banker Westfield West and I'm sure I could help you find properties in your budget in Mountainside, or could show you Cranford and surrounding towns as well.

Best of luck to you!

Old 10-24-2016, 09:19 AM

389 posts, read 662,174 times
Publick House and Mazzella are quite fantastic.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:31 AM

141 posts, read 242,841 times
I live in Springfield, right next to Mountainside. Question I noticed you said you looked at Cranford what about Westfield, it touches Mountainside. Anyway Mountainside is nice town can't go wrong.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:17 PM

140 posts, read 147,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdotSmith View Post
I live in Springfield, right next to Mountainside. Question I noticed you said you looked at Cranford what about Westfield, it touches Mountainside. Anyway Mountainside is nice town can't go wrong.
Yea, Westfield is great but out of my price range.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:10 PM

5,037 posts, read 2,247,773 times
We looked at houses in Mountainside and Scotch Plains, too. One thing I can tell you, now that we've lived in this area for a year, is that the downtown area of Scotch Plains gets so backed up with traffic that it's a PITA to navigate. Slightly less so for Fanwood, but still quite a bit of traffic. We go to the JCC on Martine Ave for swimming; coming down Bonnie Burn road can take FOREVER at some hours of the day.

If you have kids who are into sports, Mountainside has fewer dedicated teams than SPF. A lot of the kids join up with Berkeley Heights. High school age kids go to Governor Livingston, in BH, too.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:55 AM

389 posts, read 662,174 times
One thing you quickly pick up in SP is how to avoid Park Ave/Martine near down town. There are parallel streets with hardly any traffic

Old 11-02-2016, 07:17 PM

5,037 posts, read 2,247,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirk98 View Post
One thing you quickly pick up in SP is how to avoid Park Ave/Martine near down town. There are parallel streets with hardly any traffic
Is there a way to get from Berkeley Heights to the JCC without coming down Bonnie Burn? That would be awesome. I keep thinking about quitting swimming because I hate the drive, but I really like their program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey