Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:29 PM

136 posts, read 723,194 times

Advertisements

If you've commuted to New York City during the past week and dealt with the multiple disasters, you know that the 55-minute express from Princeton Junction to NYP is the exception rather than the rule.

It's a long, expensive ride no matter how much anyone tries to spin it. I commute from MetroPark, which is half the distance to mid-town and that's no picinic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 09:03 AM

3 posts, read 5,359 times
Hi - We're considering a move to the Princeton area sometime in 2011. All towns surrounding the station are candidates. I will work part of the week in the area and part of the week in NYC. Would be interested in current status of daily parking (costs, fill-up times) and best areas to look for single-family homes in area, for NYC commuters. Also any other relevant advice for people in our situation moving to the area.

Many thanks

Old 01-08-2011, 11:05 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,738 times
Parking information for Princeton Junction can be found here. If you buy a monthly pass, you are looking at ~$414 a month.

As for homes, a lot depends on the answers you have for the questions found in the Sticky at the top of the section. There are a wide range of options in the Princeton area in terms of communities, the more detailed you can be in your answers to these questions, the better the quality of the responses will be.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:07 PM

Thanks - let's concentrate on parking first. (FWIW I was a long-time NJT commuter (15 years) on the RVL in a previous life.) I have already seen both the WWPA page and the Wikipedia (WP) page on NJT Princeton Station. The WWPA page does not have a last-updated date, nor does it specifically mention the prices or fill-up times for the Station Drive lot in the chart, so I was concerned about the freshness of the information. Even a bit more so now, since you are saying $414 a month and the page has various prices for the permit lots (albeit listed quarterly) that are much lower. Or I'm missing something. In any case for the first N years it will obviously be daily parking so my more-specific next questions would be around the daily lots:

My understandings/questions:

- according to the WWPA page, currently the only two daily NJT-run lots are Wallace Road (orange) and Station Drive (green)

- is there also still private parking within reasonable walking distance as mentioned in the WP page (Station Drive)? If so approximately where, say in relation to Biometallics and Dewey's Upholstery that I see on Google Maps.

- The WP page does not mention the Wallace Road daily lot.

- approximately what average time do all these daily lots fill up on weekdays (The WP page's last annotated edit to that info was May 2009, and it conflicts with the 6:30 time written on the WWPA page) - is the WP entry's "Parking" section still accurate, specifically the second paragraph?

Last edited by bob_2k; 01-08-2011 at 07:27 PM..

Old 01-09-2011, 09:37 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,738 times
I see my stream of consciousness was working overtime when I posted yesterday. Sorry about the confusion. The $414 price is for the rail pass, not parking.

As for "reasonable walking distance" parking, the short answer is not really. Most people look to use Lot 7 on Wallace Ave. if they do not have a permit. For more info on this lot, check out this link to the NJ Transit Parking site. That lot fills tends to fill in quickly based on what others have told me and what I've encountered the last few months.

As I do not go in on a daily basis, I couldn't say for certain when the lots fill in.

To confirm the info on the WWPA site, I'd suggest calling them to be sure (609) 799-3130.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:49 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit Singh View Post
is there any train from princton junction to washington dc on weekends and if there then waht are the timings of train
take njt to trenton then use amtrak

Old 01-09-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
I see my stream of consciousness was working overtime when I posted yesterday. Sorry about the confusion. The $414 price is for the rail pass, not parking.

As for "reasonable walking distance" parking, the short answer is not really. Most people look to use Lot 7 on Wallace Ave. if they do not have a permit. For more info on this lot, check out this link to the NJ Transit Parking site. That lot fills tends to fill in quickly based on what others have told me and what I've encountered the last few months.

As I do not go in on a daily basis, I couldn't say for certain when the lots fill in.

To confirm the info on the WWPA site, I'd suggest calling them to be sure (609) 799-3130.
rail pass lets you usse NJT buses at no extra charge and even light rail

Old 01-09-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thosepeskyfacts View Post
If you've commuted to New York City during the past week and dealt with the multiple disasters, you know that the 55-minute express from Princeton Junction to NYP is the exception rather than the rule.

It's a long, expensive ride no matter how much anyone tries to spin it. I commute from MetroPark, which is half the distance to mid-town and that's no picinic.
the bus from new brunswick is faster non stop

Old 01-09-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
The waiting list for the parking at the train station is several YEARS long. You're better off going to the park and ride on the NJ Turnpike and taking the bus.

Some Amtrak Metroliner trains did stop there - not all. The Acela doesn't stop, but the northeast regional does.
no need the bus to NYC picks up in princton as well

Old 01-10-2011, 02:46 AM

Thank you for your reply, RuNYYFan.

Can anyone else shed any light on the specific questions above?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey