Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 10:26 AM

30 posts, read 42,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think the best thing to do (in terms of $$ of assessment) is to let him in unless you believe the improvements would significantly increase the value.

i told my wife not to let him in because i do not voluntarily let government into my home.
Its not just the taxes due to the improvements but also if the improvements are going to lead to an inspection and permit search ...basically opening a can of worms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 11:48 AM

127 posts, read 159,612 times
I would make an offer with contingencies centering around passing inspection and be in compliance with local building regulations with some escrow provisions. Your home inspector will be able to tell some issues with electrical, but structural (insulation, green board used in the bathroom, etc) and plumbing could be an issue.

With respect to the re-assessment, if you do not let them in - they will prorate you versus area comparable houses. I let them into my home, but two of my neighbors did not - they were assessed $2000 more than me and had to get lawyers to file an appeal - one lost, one won.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:08 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,523,510 times
If I recall from the last time I purchased a house, one of the papers signed by the seller stated all the improvements were done to code. It would seem to me, the seller could find themselves in hot water if something wasn't. As far as the work being done by a "licensed contractor", was it a relative of the seller? It seems to me a licensed contractor would make sure permits were taken out. See if you can contact the contractor.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:52 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,108,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

i told my wife not to let him in because i do not voluntarily let government into my home.
I knew it was just a matter of time before someone made that comment.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,553,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I knew it was just a matter of time before someone made that comment.
im glad i could be that person for you!

Old 11-03-2016, 04:37 PM

19,062 posts, read 25,197,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
if you do not let the tax assessor in what they do is over assess your home, when they came around the last time, the guy just came in front door and asked me a few questions like "how many bathrooms" or "do you have a fireplace" and then left without looking at anything other than the living room.

I would say it would be a mistake to not let them in.
+1!

I have no modifications or alterations to hide, and as a result, I welcomed the assessor into my house.
Of course, I pointed out to her that nothing had been done to the property since the previous assessment of my home.
However, there is no accounting for the paranoia and misinformation that seem to be rampant nowadays.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:50 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,553,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1!

I have no modifications or alterations to hide, and as a result, I welcomed the assessor into my house.
Of course, I pointed out to her that nothing had been done to the property since the previous assessment of my home.
However, there is no accounting for the paranoia and misinformation that seem to be rampant nowadays.

it lets the government in its home like a good subject

Old 11-03-2016, 08:24 PM

414 posts, read 357,648 times
Demand the permits or no deal. I only had a few minor things done to my home (hot water heater replaced, central a/c unit replaced, gas line to the grill, water softener). None of the dirtbag contractors filed for permits and only the a/c guy told us we needed to get one. Ignorance on our part at the time, but when we went to sell our buyers had in their contract that all permits would be required. BIT US IN THE BUTT BIG TIME!! Aside from the a/c nothing was up to code and we had to scramble at the last minute and spend $1500 getting it up to code.

Even if you go ahead and purchase the house without permits, you risk the following:
- the city finding out and requiring that you tear out the basement and bathroom- happened to my neighbor
- An issue with an insurance claim if the basement floods
- When you go to sell, potential buyers may demand the permits

I learned a hard and stressful lesson, but it was only for minor changes. I will never let a contractor touch anything again without first pulling a permit and I would run fast from a home that had major work done without permits.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:00 PM

I cannot really demand the permits because he cannot get any. City's new code does not allow a full bathroom in the basement or a gas fireplace ( which required an extended gas line ) - so really it is out of question.

At best I can refuse to pay a premium for the improvements because they are, well, illegal whether he likes it or not.
I do know that there are many other buyers in today's market who wouldn't be a stickler for these things and would buy the house anyway.

Quote:
Even if you go ahead and purchase the house without permits, you risk the following:
- the city finding out and requiring that you tear out the basement and bathroom- happened to my neighbor
- An issue with an insurance claim if the basement floods
- When you go to sell, potential buyers may demand the permits
- City finding about it and asking me to tear out the basement is a cause for concern but I just don't know how often it happens in Jersey City where most of the 2 family houses have an illegal unit ( even rented ) in the basement
- This is not in a flood zone so I am not worried about insurance denying a claim
- I think that would really depend on the market- the current seller is betting on the fact that many buyers would fall in love with his improvements and end up buying the house anyway

Old 11-05-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
If I recall from the last time I purchased a house, one of the papers signed by the seller stated all the improvements were done to code. It would seem to me, the seller could find themselves in hot water if something wasn't. As far as the work being done by a "licensed contractor", was it a relative of the seller? It seems to me a licensed contractor would make sure permits were taken out. See if you can contact the contractor.
Don't think I can get hold of that contractor. Could possible be a friend or relative of the seller.

When I read my contract , it does have the clause that goes something like "seller accepts any improvements were done with proper permits " . He has signed that clause but told me verbally that he never had a permit taken. Now, does that mean I can go after him in case of a future issue raised by the city - suing him would cost even more money so not sure that is advisable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey