Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 12:39 PM

29 posts, read 26,496 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We (me, husband and our one year old boy) are currently rentingan apartment in downtown Jersey City, NJ. I work in NYC downtown and my husbandwork in NJ, his project is currently close to Paramus and he sometimes have totravel too. The only reason why we opted for downtown jersey city was to savetime my commute time to NYC, even though the apartments are super expensive ($3kplus for 2 BR 1 Bath) and not so clean neighborhood (roach and rat infections).

We are planning to buy a single family house in NJ, andlooking for an area which should have good schooling system and a good train commuteto NYC (good as in travel time under an hour).
I need my travel time from home to NYC downtown office to beless than an hour, as I would need to drop-off/pick-up baby from his daycare.[/SIZE]
Hereby summarizing the main aspects that I am focusing on:
  • Budget < $700k
  • Good School district
  • Good commute to NYC (train travel under an hour;prefer train over bus)
  • Safe and clean neighborhood
Look forward to your suggestions on cities/areas which wecan start to explore before making our final purchase. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 01:01 PM

462 posts, read 550,039 times
Look at towns along the train line, Westfield and Cranford are good options, as is Millburn, Maplewood. Edison is a possibility also, but I think you are pushing it for 1 hr into downtown NYC. Montclair and Glen Ridge are also nice suburbs but the commute from there is better to midtown than downtown, not sure if you can make downtown in less than 1 hr. Actually getting downtown from anywhere in suburban NJ in under an hour (in a good school district and nice surroundings anyway) is tough to find. There might be a couple of places further north in NJ that suit such as Oradell, Ridgewood but I'm not that familiar with the commute from there.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:18 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Ridgewood to downtown is an hour +10 to +20, depending on how long it takes to get from your home to the station.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:21 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times
Where Downtown, Battery area? SoHo? 14th Street? Cranford to 14th street is about 50 minutes with the PATH train transfer and that's about as fast as that line gets (this morning I got on the 8:17 and arrived at 14th at 9:07). I also walk to the train in Cranford, so I left the house at 8:10 and actually got into the office at 9:15.

If you were headed to WTC you could do that in an hour, but it's the Manhattan walking and Cranford parking that'll get you. But your budget would work out here and the schools are certainly good. Westfield is pricier but the schools are slightly better and it's a longer commute.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Where Downtown, Battery area? SoHo? 14th Street? Cranford to 14th street is about 50 minutes with the PATH train transfer and that's about as fast as that line gets (this morning I got on the 8:17 and arrived at 14th at 9:07). I also walk to the train in Cranford, so I left the house at 8:10 and actually got into the office at 9:15.

If you were headed to WTC you could do that in an hour, but it's the Manhattan walking and Cranford parking that'll get you. But your budget would work out here and the schools are certainly good. Westfield is pricier but the schools are slightly better and it's a longer commute.

My office is in the wall street area. Thanks!

Old 11-07-2016, 01:46 PM

Yeah, call it 20 minutes from Cranford to Newark and 25 minutes from Newark to WTC. A few minutes on the Newark transfer and it rounds out to about 50 minutes on the train.

700K can do well in Cranford, depending on the location, but a 3BR should easily be within your budget as long as you don't demand new construction. The new construction condos that shared a wall around the corner from me went for 700K when our 1920's house is half that price.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:47 AM

Thanks everyone!
I did some research on Cranford and Westfield and I guess, the population is not diverse there.

What i missed in my original post is that, we are an Asian - Indian family and would like to have few Asian - Indian families around us. I understand that Edison has a huge Asian Indian community, however the train commute from Edison to NYC - WTC would be over an hour and a half. I really want to avoid that long train commute.

Please let me know if there are other towns which have under an hour train commute to NYC -WTC, good schools, safe and clean neighbor hood and few Asian Indian families in the community.

Thanks a ton in advance!

Old 11-09-2016, 10:41 AM

Cranford and Westfield are not as diverse as the rest of the US, but they're not going to become so without people moving in.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,590 times
Checkout Holmdel, best schools and near train station for easy commute to NY

Old 11-11-2016, 10:57 AM

650 posts, read 775,125 times
What is fastest way to midtown manhattan ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspace View Post
Checkout Holmdel, best schools and near train station for easy commute to NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey