Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 10:11 AM

18,566 posts, read 10,489,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
You clearly didn't invest MQ's quarter wisely. It's OK, humor isn't your thing.

..as trolling isn't the Capt's thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 11:04 PM

32,773 posts, read 36,000,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Am I the only one old enough to remember the old "I'm from Jersey. You from Jersey?" skits on SNL? LOL

I'm born and raised in Philly. I always call it New Jersey.
I'm that old. I've always called it New Jersey except for the occasional quick reference.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:07 PM

32,773 posts, read 36,000,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
..as trolling isn't the Capt's thing.
You think that humor is your thing?

Old 11-24-2016, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You think that humor is your thing?

It sure isn't yours.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:56 AM

3,953 posts, read 4,194,140 times
I try not to ponder these things too deeply. It's always been "Jersey" and "The City" since I was a kid. It's a Jersey thing, you know? Maybe because those of us who live in the state tend to identify ourselves as from "South Jersey" or "North Jersey" or "Central Jersey" (don't hear that last one too much, at least not where I live in South Jersey).

Old 11-24-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I try not to ponder these things too deeply. It's always been "Jersey" and "The City" since I was a kid. It's a Jersey thing, you know? Maybe because those of us who live in the state tend to identify ourselves as from "South Jersey" or "North Jersey" or "Central Jersey" (don't hear that last one too much, at least not where I live in South Jersey).
Where in Southern New Jersey do you live?(see how I did that)

Old 11-24-2016, 09:59 AM

18,415 posts, read 15,125,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think most people in North Jersey identify themselves as from North Jersey. Just from NJ. The separation is more of a South Jersey thing, at least when it comes to self identification.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:34 AM

607 posts, read 954,371 times
It's a recognized part of how people identify themselves or locations, culled over years of shorthand usage being passed down (like Philly, Frisco, etc.).

The existence of the Isle of the same name does not preclude another location thousands of miles away of being called the same thing (see Portland, Salem, Miami, etc.).

It is actually a source of pride to some that our state can stand alone as 'Jersey' without the qualifier.

To carry this further:

Why is "The Island" only referring to Long, and not Coney, Staten, Rhode, etc.?

Why are there multiple Washington Townships in such a small state?

What cruel people decided to have both a Morristown and a Moorestown?

Why isn't their the appropriate punctuation in Toms (Tom's?) River, if it is named for a guy names Tom (Thomas Luker)?

And strictly speaking about where I live - where are there multiple locations (in Jersey City, Newark) called 'Lincoln Park' when only mine has its own post office? Google News alerts are a pain to wade through to determine which apply to the little borough in Morris County.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ07035 View Post
It's a recognized part of how people identify themselves or locations, culled over years of shorthand usage being passed down (like Philly, Frisco, etc.).

The existence of the Isle of the same name does not preclude another location thousands of miles away of being called the same thing (see Portland, Salem, Miami, etc.).

It is actually a source of pride to some that our state can stand alone as 'Jersey' without the qualifier.

To carry this further:

Why is "The Island" only referring to Long, and not Coney, Staten, Rhode, etc.?

Why are there multiple Washington Townships in such a small state?

What cruel people decided to have both a Morristown and a Moorestown?

Why isn't their the appropriate punctuation in Toms (Tom's?) River, if it is named for a guy names Tom (Thomas Luker)?

And strictly speaking about where I live - where are there multiple locations (in Jersey City, Newark) called 'Lincoln Park' when only mine has its own post office? Google News alerts are a pain to wade through to determine which apply to the little borough in Morris County.

Always ,always when I hear people talk about the "Island"the questions is always Staten or Long ?Always.

All so it's Moores... town the other is Morris...town

Old 11-24-2016, 11:01 AM

18,415 posts, read 15,125,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Always ,always when I hear people talk about the "Island"the questions is always Staten or Long ?Always.

All so it's Moores... town the other is Morris...town
The poster was joking around about how the two names sound so similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey