Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 10:50 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I just thought that since the OP was traveling to Red Bank, she had some idea of what the Monmouth County area was like.

Yes, some challenged person from the PNW on another thread was ranting about how awful NJ is, how we are all squashed into cubicle-sized spaces, all the stupid tired old NJ stereotype stuff that you'd think would have worn away by now. When pressed, it turned out he had only ever been to Newark Airport.

On her train ride, the OP will see the parts of Newark and some of the other more urban areas of NJ closest to NYC, then it will thin out to the suburbia around Woodbridge, and then she will continue down, crossing over the Raritan, and see something very different.

I took this from the train crossing the Raritan at sunrise last January.
recently took the train into the city form LS and was truly amazed at how nice it was once it opens up.

Agree- assumed OP was more familiar with the area.

OP if you're still around depending on where your hotel is there are tons of beautiful things to see & nice places to eat. This area, at least in my opinion, is a nice blend of shore feel, with open spaces, while still having some of that nice "downtown" feel in spots...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 11:17 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
For reasons that I have never been able to figure out, a lot of people in other parts of The US have an image of NJ as a dangerous, crime-ridden place. Yes, if you decide to put good sense aside and stroll though the worst areas of Newark, Paterson, Passaic, Elizabeth, Jersey City, New Brunswick, Trenton, or--for that matter--anywhere in Camden, you will be putting yourself at great risk. However, those of us who live in the smaller cities and towns, the suburbs, the exurbs, and the rural areas enjoy our lives without giving much thought to being physically attacked, simply because it is so safe.

I didn't want to take the thread here because I feel like I bring this up a lot but I'm glad someone did.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:30 AM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I didn't want to take the thread here because I feel like I bring this up a lot but I'm glad someone did.
I think you've got a lot of company. It's something we in New Jersey encounter way too much!

I was at the CVS one day and spoke to the young woman behind the counter, who was new there. She was from WA state and had moved here because her husband was in the Coast Guard. She said she was surprised that New Jersey was "so green". I thought, "Really? What were you expecting, exactly, the Pulaski Skyway everywhere because you once watched an episode of The Sopranos?" But then she said she had been to South Carolina just prior to NJ and was surprised because she always thought SC was a desert. I realized then she was, um, geographically challenged.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I think you've got a lot of company. It's something we in New Jersey encounter way too much!

I was at the CVS one day and spoke to the young woman behind the counter, who was new there. She was from WA state and had moved here because her husband was in the Coast Guard. She said she was surprised that New Jersey was "so green". I thought, "Really? What were you expecting, exactly, the Pulaski Skyway everywhere because you once watched an episode of The Sopranos?" But then she said she had been to South Carolina just prior to NJ and was surprised because she always thought SC was a desert. I realized then she was, um, geographically challenged.
Lol I think we've talked about this before. I have also had people from out of state (2 from CA ironically) tell me they're surprised to see so many trees here.

I don't think OP meant anything mean and maybe didn't even intentionally insinuate that she didn't think the area would be nice, and probably wasn't referring to NJ as a whole when she said it, but it's always good to be informative IMO.

But yeah it does surprise me just how many people think all of NJ completely sucks. It's just not a logical well thought out idea to have.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:51 AM

882 posts, read 1,670,606 times
Quote:

Working for the park service in Morristown this happens often. Had an older woman from the Carolinas who was marveling at how beautiful the countryside near Chatham and New Providence was. Any outer-urban-industrial area is going to be ugly, not just in NJ...see the area by the airport near Philly, or parts of Staten Island in NYC. It just so happens that some of our least aesthetically pleasing areas happen to be near the major entrepot for out-of-state visitors.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
Working for the park service in Morristown this happens often. Had an older woman from the Carolinas who was marveling at how beautiful the countryside near Chatham and New Providence was. Any outer-urban-industrial area is going to be ugly, not just in NJ...see the area by the airport near Philly, or parts of Staten Island in NYC. It just so happens that some of our least aesthetically pleasing areas happen to be near the major entrepot for out-of-state visitors.
I totally get that but my question is why so many assume the whole state is like that? It's one thing to say you don't like the Newark area but it's another to claim that ALL of NJ is like that or otherwise ugly or awful, especially if you've never even been outside that one particular area.

Since when does one thing, one part of a whole state, represent all? It defies logic, especially when you consider how densely populated NJ is - clearly it's a popular place to live. We have a larger population than a lot of bigger states. So if it all soooo ugly and gross why do so many live here? Why so many nice towns and well paid people? It doesn't make sense to have these assumptions.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:11 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,606 times
Quote:
I totally get that but my question is why so many assume the whole state is like that? It's one thing to say you don't like the Newark area but it's another to claim that ALL of NJ is like that or otherwise ugly or awful, especially if you've never even been outside that one particular area.

Since when does one thing, one part of a whole state, represent all? It defies logic, especially when you consider how densely populated NJ is - clearly it's a popular place to live. We have a larger population than a lot of bigger states. So if it all soooo ugly and gross why do so many live here? Why so many nice towns and well paid people? It doesn't make sense to have these assumptions.
Lol I guess logic and reason aren't everyone's strong suits, particularly when place/identity come into play.
I think because we are a small state adjacent to two major cities, we often get compared to those cities, rather than states. See the "you need a car if you live in NJ" comments, as if at a state level others had such superior mass-transit. People's sense of scale seem skewed when it comes to NJ, we're not cultured or urbane enough compared to NYC or Philly, not rustic enough compared to upstate NY, central PA, etc. IDK, don't really have an answer.

It also bothers me that Delaware or Connecticut never get similar comments made about them, when they also have areas that are ugly, run-down cities, high cost of living (in Connecticut), etc.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:26 PM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Lol I think we've talked about this before. I have also had people from out of state (2 from CA ironically) tell me they're surprised to see so many trees here.

I don't think OP meant anything mean and maybe didn't even intentionally insinuate that she didn't think the area would be nice, and probably wasn't referring to NJ as a whole when she said it, but it's always good to be informative IMO.

But yeah it does surprise me just how many people think all of NJ completely sucks. It's just not a logical well thought out idea to have.
Oh no, I don't think the OP meant anything, either. She just wants to get safely from the train to her hotel. I wanted her to realize she wasn't exactly going to be in the hood. Red Bank Taxi or Uber drivers aren't likely to be taking her any place sketchy.

But hell, didn't somebody just bury a body in Oceanport this past week, a couple of miles from Red Bank?

Don't worry, OP, the murder occurred in Manhattan. One of the killers just happened to have grown up in the nice little town of Oceanport so that's where they buried their victim.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:54 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,047 times
Quote:
Of course! It doesn't pay to be careless anywhere, especially around a train station where, if there are lowlifes, they might have a tendency to hang out.

Yes, Red Bank is generally a nice town, but no place is crime free. Jon Bon Jovi lives in Navesink, across the river from Red Bank. His house was burglarized, along with some of his neighbors' a few years back. Apparently these rich people don't set their house alarms, and a young guy who had worked for a security company figured that out. He got caught.
Go back. Jon Bon Jovi lives across the river? Guess I have some touristy things to do.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:06 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
For reasons that I have never been able to figure out, a lot of people in other parts of The US have an image of NJ as a dangerous, crime-ridden place. Yes, if you decide to put good sense aside and stroll though the worst areas of Newark, Paterson, Passaic, Elizabeth, Jersey City, New Brunswick, Trenton, or--for that matter--anywhere in Camden, you will be putting yourself at great risk. However, those of us who live in the smaller cities and towns, the suburbs, the exurbs, and the rural areas enjoy our lives without giving much thought to being physically attacked, simply because it is so safe.

I didn't actually think that NJ was crime-ridden. I do not, in any way, think tv shows reflect NJ or even the New Jersey Shore. I'm from "The OC" and hate that people think what they saw on tv was real life, it's not.

Please understand, I'm originally from Los Angeles. Most people wouldn't walk downtown alone, at night, especially being a woman. However, you talk about suburbs, the burbs, etc, but honestly, Compton, is a suburb of LA, but I wouldn't be walking through there at night. The areas around Disneyland really aren't the safest, but people walk around like nothing.

So, I totally understand what you're saying, but please understand, I didn't think about the area being an affluent area or a bad area. I was more concerned about being alone, being a woman, at 10pm at night, in a place I've never been before....walking the streets or getting into a stranger's personal car (uber/lyft) versus a shuttle or taxi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey