Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 01:21 PM

68 posts, read 76,429 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have not been to a doctor in more than 5 years. I am currently under my Father's health insurance plan (Cigna) and I am interested in learning on how to find and select a PCP. I went on the Cigna website and over 700 doctors appeared. Is there a specific criteria used when selecting a new PCP? I work at Memorial Sloan Kettering in the city but would prefer to find a doctor in the Union/Essex county area. A little background about my self, I'm 23, African-American, in decent shape and ultimately interested in the basics of healthcare (check-up, basic preventative care, etc.) Thanks for all the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 01:26 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,103,748 times
If you're in Essex County I would recommend Vanguard Medical Group in Verona. They are very good. I got the recommmendation from my neighbor.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:27 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,843,207 times
You'll want to basically try to narrow that search. Find doctors that are accepting new patients in the town you live in. Union and Essex counties are huge, for example, so start smaller and work your way up if you don't find anyone you like.

Your PCP should basically be your main doctor, so I'd also suggest someone you feel comfortable discussing things with. Literally anything that is medically bothering you, so if you're not clicking for one reason or another don't feel like you have to stay with them.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:34 PM

4,004 posts, read 3,563,394 times
I must have been living in the hood too long because I thought something completely different when I read that you were looking for PCP

To answer your questions, try using ZocDoc

Old 11-30-2016, 07:59 AM

88,220 posts, read 84,127,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I must have been living in the hood too long because I thought something completely different when I read that you were looking for PCP

LOL, same here. Some strange memories from long ago flitted through my head.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post

LOL druggies upgraded it's called wet now but thanks for the recommendation i checked it out.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
If you're in Essex County I would recommend Vanguard Medical Group in Verona. They are very good. I got the recommmendation from my neighbor.
Thanks, after going through the suggestion above and reading reviews online the Dr that i believe fits my needs is actually in this group. He works in the Cranford office though. I appreciate the recommendation!

Last edited by Wall.John123; 11-30-2016 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: below -> above

Old 11-30-2016, 01:05 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,843,207 times
The Cranford office of Vanguard is where I go, I like them a lot as well if that helps. But I mostly chose them because I can walk there without much of a hassle and they stay open late on some weekdays.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:12 PM

88,220 posts, read 84,127,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall.John123 View Post
LOL druggies upgraded it's called wet now but thanks for the recommendation i checked it out.
PCP is called "wet"? We called it angel dust. Well, it's been a very long time. I quit smoking crack before they named it crack, too. Do people even still smoke crack? You don't hear anything about it anymore.

ETA: I had to go back and read the OP to figure out what he was talking about. In more recent years, PCP to me meant Priority Capital Programs.

Too many acronyms.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:16 PM

4,004 posts, read 3,563,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
PCP is called "wet"? We called it angel dust. Well, it's been a very long time. I quit smoking crack before they named it crack, too. Do people even still smoke crack? You don't hear anything about it anymore.

ETA: I had to go back and read the OP to figure out what he was talking about. In more recent years, PCP to me meant Priority Capital Programs.

Too many acronyms.

No. They sip on lean now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey