Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 08:30 AM

17 posts, read 55,743 times

Advertisements

I guess my main question is - have never lived in NJ - how would you decide between Ridgewood vs Millburn.

Schools the same? or should I ask to do a tour of the schools?
Commute to Columbus Circle? Is commute much better from Millburn
Overall neighborhood / kids activities, etc...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 08:40 AM

380 posts, read 607,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycwebe View Post
I guess my main question is - have never lived in NJ - how would you decide between Ridgewood vs Millburn.

I would say they are similar towns with roughly similar commutes. Millburn is a bit wealthier on average but Ridgewood is surrounded by far richer towns. Frankly, you can't go wrong with either town and should probably base your decision on the house itself.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:46 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Quote:

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see a budget for housing.If you are in the one million range there are a few in the Millburn/Short Hills area that are affordable.Millburn has a great school system and it has been praised many times .While I don't want to say a negative about Ridgewood becuase I don't know it ,I did grow up in Short Hills and loved it.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:02 AM

565 posts, read 722,165 times
I would look for an Airbnb or hotel and do the commute from both Ridgewood and Millburn for a day or two. That should show you what the day-to-day commute will be like and if one town has an edge over the other for you.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:52 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,563 times
Commute from Millburn/Short Hills and also Summit is better IMO.

Millburn/SH schools are top notch but very competitive. This is a very wealthy area, and attracts not only people with $$$ but also people who are very interested in the very best academics. Check the demographics on greatschools.

Bergen County (Ridgewood) is more congested. Short Hills will not feel congested IN the town but is somewhat around the town, but not so much west of there...wheras Ridgewood is in the shopping mecca of NJ and very, very busy and surrounded by major highways on all sides.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:20 AM

3 posts, read 6,255 times
Quote:

nycwebe- 2.5 years later......Which suburb did you end up picking? Millburn? Ridgewood?

I am also now looking to move from Brooklyn, NY to NJ. Currently looking at Millburn / Livingston / Edison / Holmdel.

The wife still have to commute back to Brooklyn for work but I work in Morris County, NJ on route I80. We have 2 kids under the age of 5. I am leaning towards Millburn because of the school system and commute distance for my wife and I, but to be honest we do not know anyone out there and it feels weird moving to the suburb.

Any advice?

Old 05-10-2019, 08:20 AM

973 posts, read 1,409,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKLN_HOKIE View Post
nycwebe- 2.5 years later......Which suburb did you end up picking? Millburn? Ridgewood?

I am also now looking to move from Brooklyn, NY to NJ. Currently looking at Millburn / Livingston / Edison / Holmdel.

The wife still have to commute back to Brooklyn for work but I work in Morris County, NJ on route I80. We have 2 kids under the age of 5. I am leaning towards Millburn because of the school system and commute distance for my wife and I, but to be honest we do not know anyone out there and it feels weird moving to the suburb.

Any advice?
In any upper middle class or higher suburb (which is much of the suburban area, to be honest), your kids are your link to the community. Between school, PTA, sports, activities, etc, your friends will become the parents of your kids friends/teammates/classmates. Sign your kids up for as much as you/them can handle, and you will know the whole town in no time. If you can afford Millburn, its hard not to choose that town.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:56 AM

17 posts, read 55,743 times
Moved to Glen Rock. We briefly looked at Millburn but liked the overall feel of Ridgewood/Glen Rock better and had more friends in the area. Overall very happy with the move and don't miss Brooklyn at all.

Have friends who moved to other towns like Westfield, Millburn, Tenafly and Montclair and all really like it except for the friends who moved to Tenafly. I think it comes down to what is characteristics of the town are important to you and your budget. Definitely spend as much time as you can in the towns/parks/restaurants before making your decision.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:52 PM

5,135 posts, read 3,750,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CranfordGuy243 View Post
Have you looked into Maplewood/South Orange too? Schools may not be rated as highly, but nearly every young couple I meet in Maplewood/SO is from Brooklyn.

I went to Maplewood Junior HS in the mid '60's and at the time Columbia was one of the highest rated high schools in the state if memory serves. Has it gone that far downhill since then?

Old 05-10-2019, 06:01 PM

3 posts, read 6,255 times
Thanks for the reassurance 987ABC. Thanks for the Advice nycwbe.

Coming from Brooklyn, my parcel/lot is only 20' x 100'(2000 square feet) so obviously anything in the suburbs is much bigger. My budget would fall around 0.25 acre - 0.33 acre in Millburn but my coworker had advised getting at least 0.5 acres (He has 3 acres in Morris County). Therefore, my question would be should I suck it up and pay more for 0.5 acres in millburn by eating instant noodles every night........or be happy with 0.25 acres.......or look in the near by town like Livingston?

What size do y'all think a family of 2 adults and 2 small kids would enjoy in the suburbs? I have basically live in Brooklyn my whole life. There was a brief time period where i went to a college in rural Virginia.....but basically no suburb experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey