Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 05:56 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,602,642 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone has sold their home on their own? Can u give me any pointers? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 06:27 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,682 times
Yes, I sold my last house FSBO. I suggest you visit forsalebyowner.com and read their website for pointers. All you need is the time to devote to it. You do not need open houses or print advertising, though, you can do those things for exposure. Just make sure you get on the MLS and realtor.com and price it right. You will need to give the buyer's agent 2.5%-3% commission if you expect them to show your house. The main difference is agents call you directly for showings and you will need to negotiate any offers on your own. You should also buy a lockbox if you don't have one. You will work with a listing agent for the MLS, contracts and other paperwork. Good luck.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:33 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,165 times
According to the Otteau Real Estate Analysts, FSBO ( For Sale By Owner) on the average net 15% less than a Realtor assisted sale. If you pay 6 % to a Realtor, that's 9% more in your pocket! BTW Are you marketing to serious buyers or Someone looking for a deal. Since buyers don't generally pay a Realtor, Someone that is SERIOUS about buying is working with a Realtor. Where are you located, maybe there are ways that would put more money in your pocket.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:49 AM

There is no way 15% is accurate. That's a huge number. The fact is the MLS and pricing sells your house. Agents are marketing conduits. Open houses don't sell houses, print media doesn't sell houses, sometimes word of mouth in the agent community helps.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 02-28-2008 at 07:19 AM..

Old 02-28-2008, 06:52 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times
We just sold our house FSBO in August. We only offered 2% to agents and we were sold in 6 weeks. Go with one of companies that will get you listed on the MLS. Google "flat fee MLS listing" and you will get a bunch. It will cost around $500. Make sure you go with one that gives you an outside sign that says "buyer's agents protected".

Get professional pics taken - we used CirclePix: Real Estate Marketing Solutions and they were great. Cost us $89 for pics and 4 virtual tours. With circle pix you can link the VT to realtor for an extra $10.

Make up flyers and put them in a take one box outside your house. Also make up "open house" invitation to all your neighbors have them tour your house. Often people know someone looking to move.

Best of luck - it can be done!!!

Old 02-28-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
According to the Otteau Real Estate Analysts, FSBO ( For Sale By Owner) on the average net 15% less than a Realtor assisted sale. If you pay 6 % to a Realtor, that's 9% more in your pocket! BTW Are you marketing to serious buyers or Someone looking for a deal. Since buyers don't generally pay a Realtor, Someone that is SERIOUS about buying is working with a Realtor. Where are you located, maybe there are ways that would put more money in your pocket.
What a bunch of nonsense.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
We just sold our house FSBO in August. We only offered 2% to agents and we were sold in 6 weeks. Go with one of companies that will get you listed on the MLS. Google "flat fee MLS listing" and you will get a bunch. It will cost around $500. Make sure you go with one that gives you an outside sign that says "buyer's agents protected".

Get professional pics taken - we used CirclePix: Real Estate Marketing Solutions and they were great. Cost us $89 for pics and 4 virtual tours. With circle pix you can link the VT to realtor for an extra $10.

Make up flyers and put them in a take one box outside your house. Also make up "open house" invitation to all your neighbors have them tour your house. Often people know someone looking to move.

Best of luck - it can be done!!!
Congrats! I sold mine myself and saved $17K commission. I only used the MLS and realtor.com, purchased extra pics which I took myself and wrote up a great MLS description.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:49 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,165 times
Make sure any Broker you list with is in IDX. ( Internet Data Exchange ) This allows your listing to be advertised in all Realtor's websites (even Realtor's that work for other Brokers) Also, advertising your open house (Newspaper and internet) will bring in serious buyers. Signs usually bring in curiosity seekers (and locals, many times houses do sell to someone from the area) Open houses also serve to keep the home open for any Realtor showing homes in the area, making it that much easier to show.Truthfully, It's a numbers game. The more people that see your home the better chance of getting it sold. If there are more than one offer, someone is going to pay more. Marketing your home to serious (People that need to move) and qualified buyers is the key. In today's market, Buyers have a lot to choose from and unless they need to move they may hold off to see something else. Location has a lot to do with buyer's choices, even if the price is mor the location may bre better, commanding a higher selling price.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:12 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,931,268 times
We also sold using fsbo.com. Absolutely the best thing we ever did!! Don't listen to realtors trying to tell you otherwise. Like the others said, just price it right and it will sell. Your listing on MLS and realtor.com will look no different than all the other ones. Don't worry about that. Good Luck.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Congrats! I sold mine myself and saved $17K commission. I only used the MLS and realtor.com, purchased extra pics which I took myself and wrote up a great MLS description.
Congrats to you too! Isn't it great saving all that money! I tried to take the pics myself but they were terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey