Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 09:37 AM

93 posts, read 130,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allamshield View Post
Nice I just looked at the times for Secaucus and they are very often if its true to schedule and arrival times.

Reason I initially asked for short distance drive was in case driving is the only option to a train line. If driving isn't needed than that would be much better. I'm not familiar if there are nice locations I can walk to train station and still get to work on time if I left at say 8am. I'm hoping for parking to not be my concern if my wife could drive and drop me at the station, so the less she has to drive, the better. Buses I'm kind of scared of due to Rush hour traffic. I live near on a Express Bus line and it took me approx. 30 mins more of a commute at peak Rush hour in the morning, and I said never again.

Not primary location but a preference as I'm not familiar with locations in New Jersey. I just want to have the simplest transition for transportation for me and my family as we will all be affected so location and access is key for our desires. The traveling distance equates to a sense of happiness as the longer I have to travel the less I get to spend time with my kids. Not a sacrifice I'm willing to make in exchange for a nice suburban home.

So I got Secaucus area, and Harrison. Any coastal towns I'm sure are very expensive.
I certainly can't fault you for wanting to spend time with your kids. Keep in mind that affordable homes with extremely convenient NJ commutes to Manhattan will be accompanied by poorly ranked public schools. The elementary school may appear okay, but things will go downhill at the middle and high-school level. Of course this will be irrelevant if you're already planning on private school. You may want to refer to the sticky posting what type of community you're looking for. Just keep in mind there's no such thing as a community that's safe with affordable housing, convenient commute to Manhattan and great school district. Any community in NJ you select will a sacrifice of at least one (or two) of the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 06:18 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
If you choose Hudson County, it's not really a "suburb."
West Hudson and Secaucus are suburban. Still wondering what the OP wants besides commute.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:49 AM

178 posts, read 230,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
West Hudson and Secaucus are suburban. Still wondering what the OP wants besides commute.

My concern is mostly distance as that would narrow down the locations i would want to indicate to a realtor if needed.

If I can find the locations then i can find out an estimate for pricing of that area for a SFH and taxes etc. Once i have that idea then i can think of what the area look like and schooling, amenities.

From what I've obtained only Harrison, and locations around Secaucus are places to look into. Coastal towns i'm sure are out of my price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey