Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 07:41 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,199,104 times

Advertisements

Assuming this is an alcove tub (against three walls), just get a low and wide one with a rectangular bowl that takes up most of the length and width and add glass doors instead of a curtain, and you can shower in it all the time if you like. A 60" x 36" tub has a good bit of space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 08:11 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
i have a 6 & 2 year old and we have two tubs and both are used regularly. so i guess it is important to us.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:52 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,118 times
You can find a compromise by getting a deep soaker tub, which you sit or squat in. Half the size with jets. You will be using it! It is kids size! It works for seniors as well.

The tube gets old, for kids, by the age of 10.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:10 AM

229 posts, read 250,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
I have young kids and I never used the tub with them. In fact, it was so much easier to empty the baby tub into the shower basin. When they were about 1, I sat them in the shower and used hand shower. I hate showers and shower curtains and cleaning all the shower tiles.

Next house I'm going glass enclosed showers in all the bathrooms!
Be careful what you wish for. I have three baths with frameless glass showers. If you think that's maintenence free, guess again. It looks awesome, but requires a lot of maintenance. After every shower, all the glass must be squeeged. If you don't do it, you get unsightly water spots, which will eventually become permanent as the mineral content of the water etches the glass if not cleaned up. And you should rarely have to clean tile. If you're regularly getting mold and mildew, it means your bathroom is not properly ventilated to remove moisture. If your bathroom mirror steams up during showers, that's the sign ventilation is inadequate.

Onto the OP's original question, a house without at least one bathtub is a deal breaker for most families with children. That's not a wise demographic to shut out when you're trying to sell a suburban property. My new build provides the best of both worlds with separate tubs and showers in each bath, but I know that's impossible to do in older homes that weren't designed for it. Still, you gotta leave at least one bathtub/shower combo in your home if your floor plan won't allow for separate fixtures.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:37 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,290 times
Slight hiijack here but thought it might be the right place. As someone who is looking to redo my bathroom, what is the first step in the process? Can i just approach a contractor that does bathrooms? Should i be engaging an engineer or architect first?

Thanks.
Happy Holidays.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:07 AM

32,914 posts, read 36,310,068 times
You need to have some sort of budget in mind.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:30 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig-D View Post
Be careful what you wish for. I have three baths with frameless glass showers. If you think that's maintenence free, guess again. It looks awesome, but requires a lot of maintenance. After every shower, all the glass must be squeeged. If you don't do it, you get unsightly water spots, which will eventually become permanent as the mineral content of the water etches the glass if not cleaned up. And you should rarely have to clean tile. If you're regularly getting mold and mildew, it means your bathroom is not properly ventilated to remove moisture. If your bathroom mirror steams up during showers, that's the sign ventilation is inadequate.

Onto the OP's original question, a house without at least one bathtub is a deal breaker for most families with children. That's not a wise demographic to shut out when you're trying to sell a suburban property. My new build provides the best of both worlds with separate tubs and showers in each bath, but I know that's impossible to do in older homes that weren't designed for it. Still, you gotta leave at least one bathtub/shower combo in your home if your floor plan won't allow for separate fixtures.

That's the first thing I think of when I see them, huge PITA, not something I would want in my home unless I had a maid.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:48 PM

32,914 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
That's the first thing I think of when I see them, huge PITA, not something I would want in my home unless I had a maid.
It's not that much of a pain when the squeegee is hanging in the shower. The tile and shower curtain seemed more of a nuisance to me.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:59 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's not that much of a pain when the squeegee is hanging in the shower. The tile and shower curtain seemed more of a nuisance to me.

Nope, the older I get, the less I want to perform calisthenics in the shower trying to squeegee every single inch of a glass shower......much easier to throw a shower curtain in the wash every now and then.

......or, in my younger days, getting home from work, tired as heck and having to squeegee after a nice relaxing shower instead of throwing the shower curtain in the wash on the weekend.

.....or, having to follow up every time one of the kids takes a shower to make sure they did a proper squeegee job.

Why add more hassle to your life?

Old 12-26-2016, 10:57 AM

516 posts, read 1,005,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig-D View Post

Darn. Thanks for the insight. The grass is always greener on the other side
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: