Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 10:12 PM

3 posts, read 46,165 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My daughter and several of her friends are young flight attendants who are based in Newark Intl Airport in New Jersey.

None of the girls are from the area. They are looking for a safe place to live where it will be easy for them to reach the Newark Airport. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The girls looked at an apartment on Halladay Street in Jersey City. They liked the apartment, but they are not sure how safe the area is, or how easy it will be to get to the airport by mass transit.

Is this an ok area, or is there is a better place??

Also, does anyone know of a door-to-door shuttle service that they can contract with for their trips to the airport?

Any info you can give us would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!

Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 11,911 times
Default What is NJ LiKe?

I was stationed in New Jersey (McGuire AFB), and I enjoyed my time there (4 years). The areas around McGuire AFB/Fort Dix are nice (Pemberton, Wrightstown, Browns Mills, etc) or you can go out a little farther (Mt Holly, Mt Laurel) which are nice. These are fairly small towns. If you like big cities, there is Trenton, Camden, and Philly). However, I would not recommend Camden or some parts of Trenton. Camden is definitely not the place to visit let alone live there. Philly is about 45 minutes to an hour from McGuire depending on where you are in Philly. New Jersey is a fairly small state but a lot of traffic goes through there. Be prepared to pay high car insurance premiums.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:32 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,746 times
Here are some transportation options: http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/airports/html/ewr_transportation.html#suburbs (broken link)

Jersey City used to be pretty nasty, but it is having quite a renaissance. You can get nice safe luxury apartments in full service buildings for reasonable prices. Well, compared to Manhattan at least. I'm not familiar enough with the area to make a comment on the specific building, but if they are feeling iffy about it I would keep looking, because there is nice stuff there these days.

P.S. Getting to the airport by mass transit from Jersey City should be easy.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:18 PM

3 posts, read 46,165 times
BigMan and Daaver,

Thanks for the info. My daughter is still trying to figure things out.... Our family lives in Poway - a small city outiside of San Diego, and this has been a huge move for her. (she is young) She did not realize that "Jersey City" comprises several different cities, many in which she would not want to live.

I am concerned about her having to cross the Hudson River....does traffic ever get backed-up while crossing that? It appears to me from the map on the Internet (not the best point of reference), that Jersey City is cut-off from Newark and that she will have to cross the river to get to Newark Airport. It does not look like there are too many major highways leading out of Jersey (I'm probably wrong).

Since the girls will be dependent on mass transit to get them from their apartment to Newark Airport, I am just wondering where the best place it will be for them to live. Is Jersey the best, or is there some place better???

Thanks!
Karen

Old 12-01-2006, 05:53 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_in_Poway View Post
Hello,

My daughter and several of her friends are young flight attendants who are based in Newark Intl Airport in New Jersey.

None of the girls are from the area. They are looking for a safe place to live where it will be easy for them to reach the Newark Airport. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The girls looked at an apartment on Halladay Street in Jersey City. They liked the apartment, but they are not sure how safe the area is, or how easy it will be to get to the airport by mass transit.

Is this an ok area, or is there is a better place??

Also, does anyone know of a door-to-door shuttle service that they can contract with for their trips to the airport?

Any info you can give us would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!

Karen
They can take the Path train to Newark from Jersey City. Once at Penn Station Newark they can take the N.J. Transit bus, Newark taxi cab or the N.J. transit train to the Norteast corridor station then the Airtrain into the airport. The cheapest way is the Path train and the N.J. Transit bus.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:47 PM

20 posts, read 132,056 times
Default Jersey City

Jersey City is now a very diverse city now. I advise you to throughtly check out the area before moving there. I grew up on the Greenvile section and was told not to consider going to visit due to safety issues like muggings and shootings. Parts of Jersey City along the waterfront and downtown are be rehabilitated.

I'm not sure what you mean about the Hudson River and going to Newark Airport. You only cross the Hudson River when going into NYC. The tunnels and bridges do back up during rush hour. Getting to/from Jersey City can be a traffic nightmare during rush hour with/without delays due to accidents.

Jersey City is not comprised of several different cities. Hudson County comprises alot of towns that includes Jersey City. They do all blend together tho for the most part.

Is there anyway you could come here for a weekend etc to check out the local streets/highways before moving here?

Old 12-02-2006, 10:02 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
I actually think a lot of the Flight attendants who work at Newark airport have "crash pads" in the Ironbound section of Newark. The drive from the Ironbound to the airport takes about 10-15 minutes.

The train can also be taken to the airport, however it is a bit pricey. From Newark Penn Station to Newark Airport it is $7.50 for the 5 minute ride. The reason is that a $5 surcharge is placed upon all trains leaving or going to the airport.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:53 PM

21 posts, read 136,729 times
Jersey city is still not a very good city to live in. For one if you take a wrong turn you could regret that, just rember that

Old 12-07-2006, 01:04 AM

2 posts, read 15,618 times
Its alright, its my hometown. Some people think there's a lot of crime there but in my opinion it doesn't. I guess if your used to anywhere outside of Hudson and Essex county then maybe you could think its bad in Jersey City but before I moved to PA I only lived in Essex (Belleville) and Hudson county (Jersey City). I would live towards Downtown and try to stay far from greenville. I lived in The Heights for 5 years and it was alright. COmpared to Newark though crime is nothing in Jersey City.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:33 PM

3 posts, read 40,676 times
I worked in downtown Jersey City for 10 years. If I were to move there Halladay Street would not be my choice. I think downtown would be safer, but also more expensive. Like most cities, there are good and bad locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey