Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2016, 11:32 PM

5 posts, read 5,766 times

Advertisements

Moving with wife from Fremont CA to JC in January and looking for renting a 1 BR with a budget of 2.2-2.3k.
I am done riding the BART for 2 hours to n fro to SF daily hence would like to have a short commute or best - even walk to work if possible.

Online search on rental websites list a few options in Newport for my budget but the reviews come with the taxonomy of the insects breeding there or the scams the management is running.

Would like to know from Newport residents/renters about good apartments there or in the vicinity. If there are no good options in Newport for my budget where else should I look for ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 06:59 AM

516 posts, read 1,005,135 times
I'm not sure you can find a 1bd in your budget from LeFrak (the management company that runs the official Newport rentals). There are three stages of apartments there, the President ones which are the oldest and have roaches and odors, the green ones (Atlantic, Hamptons, etc). and the new ones (Laguna, etc. which are really nice). 5 years ago, your budget would have gotten you a 1bd in the Presidential buildings...

Check Craiglist. There are several luxury condo owners in the downtown JC area who rent out 1bd's around 2500-2600. The most desirable are probably in the Shore Club (located in Newport, the only two buildings not owned by LeFrak), A condos, Trump Tower.

There are also a several new rental buildings opening up that may offer rent specials you can look into. I drive by the Oakman every day, but I'm sure there are several others. Good luck!

Old 12-29-2016, 08:13 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
You could try the Marbella building in Newport. The building is about 10 years old. According to this website a 1BR starts at around $2500.

https://www.apartments.com/marbella-...ty-nj/vq2lgye/

Old 12-29-2016, 10:29 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,844 times
2.2 to 2.3k budget is too low to find a 'luxury' unit 1BR anywhere in downtown JC area. Starting is 2.6 to 2.7k for 1BR for those units in downtown JC.

Your best bet is to either look for private owners, look at older buildings (non-luxury), look at studio, or change your location to say Journal Square or even Hoobken.

Jersey City is really expensive and only little cheaper than Manhattan.

Good luck.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:35 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Is your job in Newport? Wasn't clear from your original post

Old 12-29-2016, 01:24 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Default reviews come with the taxonomy of the insects breeding there

Quote:
Originally Posted by daoutsider View Post
Moving with wife from Fremont CA to JC in January and looking for renting a 1 BR with a budget of 2.2-2.3k.
I am done riding the BART for 2 hours to n fro to SF daily hence would like to have a short commute or best - even walk to work if possible.

Online search on rental websites list a few options in Newport for my budget but the or the scams the management is running.

Would like to know from Newport residents/renters about good apartments there or in the vicinity. If there are no good options in Newport for my budget where else should I look for ?
We lived in the Thomas Jefferson building at Newport in the late 80's before it was even finished fully. They were working 24/7 at the time and the cockroaches were huge and plentiful even then. I would hope after 30 years they killed/eliminated most of them. 18th floor- 440 bucks a month.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:08 PM

110 posts, read 181,014 times
I do not know if the situation changed recently. But back in 2010s, I heard of bedbug problems in AvalonCove apartments. Never had any issues with cockroaches/bedbugs or other insects in Newport high raise buildings (George Washington, John Adams, green buildings). However, the buildings are very poor quality in terms of insulation, noise from upstairs etc., The management is pretty bad as well (AvalonCove is worst but newport is pretty bad as well).

If you will be commuting to the city, be prepared to stand every day as path trains get very crowded at Newport.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Is your job in Newport? Wasn't clear from your original post
Sorry about that - Yes, I will be working in Newport.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticBlast View Post
I do not know if the situation changed recently. But back in 2010s, I heard of bedbug problems in AvalonCove apartments. Never had any issues with cockroaches/bedbugs or other insects in Newport high raise buildings (George Washington, John Adams, green buildings). However, the buildings are very poor quality in terms of insulation, noise from upstairs etc., The management is pretty bad as well (AvalonCove is worst but newport is pretty bad as well).

If you will be commuting to the city, be prepared to stand every day as path trains get very crowded at Newport.
Yes read those horror stories, however, recent reviews of Avalon Cove have been good on google. Not sure if I can trust those in this era of paid reviews. My workplace is in Newport so there would be no commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey