Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 10:01 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
please videotape this conversation and post it up
lmao

Hello sir. Happy New Year, I am Joe your neighbor from 3 doors down. I smell your smoke from your fireplace and think I might die from cancer. If I was you I would close the fireplace and advise you to get hooked up to natural gas this way I could hang in there for a few more years. I'd appreciate your cooperation and looking forward to having afew BBQs in the summer with you. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 10:14 AM

243 posts, read 220,637 times
We should also outlaw farting

Old 01-01-2017, 11:03 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,398,714 times
There are places in the Western US (eg. Colorado) where wood burning fireplaces and stoves are highly regulated and/or banned due to the natural topography and prevailing weather patterns. The smoke can accumulate in valleys and cause breathing problems for all residents.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sit...al-Burning.pdf

Old 01-01-2017, 12:13 PM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
lmao

Hello sir. Happy New Year, I am Joe your neighbor from 3 doors down. I smell your smoke from your fireplace and think I might die from cancer. If I was you I would close the fireplace and advise you to get hooked up to natural gas this way I could hang in there for a few more years. I'd appreciate your cooperation and looking forward to having afew BBQs in the summer with you. Thanks again.
More danger from the unburned hydrocarbons from your neighbor's lawnmower and the poison chemical placed on his lawn that drain down to the river and poison the oceans.

Hope you don't have vinyl siding on your house!!!

See the movie 'Blue Vinyl".

You might die from rabies, tetnus or a gunshot from a thug in much improved Newark. Be prepared to send out more whiny notes to other purveyors of cancer.

Sniff, sniff, is that a gas leak????? Boom! and as an angel was rumored to say...'and I was worried about getting cancer from a seasonl whiff of woodsmoke!"

Old 01-01-2017, 12:22 PM

325 posts, read 582,509 times
I am so thankful that I don't have any neighbors. I burn wood for heat . Only wood. I have a wood fired boiler, and a wood stove.
I can drive my atv on my property,(33 acres), and carry a firearm. For living in a real restrictive (I'd like to use other adjectives) state it's not bad. Again, I'm so glad I don't have neighbors.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:17 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
More danger from the unburned hydrocarbons from your neighbor's lawnmower and the poison chemical placed on his lawn that drain down to the river and poison the oceans.

Hope you don't have vinyl siding on your house!!!

See the movie 'Blue Vinyl".

You might die from rabies, tetnus or a gunshot from a thug in much improved Newark. Be prepared to send out more whiny notes to other purveyors of cancer.

Sniff, sniff, is that a gas leak????? Boom! and as an angel was rumored to say...'and I was worried about getting cancer from a seasonl whiff of woodsmoke!"
I was being cracking a joke because someone mentioned to go over to the homeowner and ask him to convert to gas. Captain wanted to see what a potential conversation would be like. I'm almost 60 and this is the first time I heard someone complain about a fireplace.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:05 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notinpa View Post
We should also outlaw farting
And body odor.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:59 AM

3 posts, read 1,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
No, it's not burning leaves or brush fire. The smokey smell only happens when it gets cold. For instance, when it was 60° the other day, no smokey smell. At night when it gets colder, it comes back.

I also see the piles of chopped wood in some people's backyards (under a tarp to keep them dry).

If the smokey air is so pervasive, then obviously there are more than a couple of homes doing it.
A big part of the problem with this issue is that more than one or two homes are affected at the same time. You have to be downwind from and slightly more elevated than your neighbor. I used to like the smell of a fire too...but nobody likes to sit on the downwind side of a campfire, which is where some of us have to live. My walls and ceilings are sooty, I have chronic bronchitis and extreme fatigue, my pet Parrots are dying. All because my neighbors don't think their smoke stinks. Smoke doesn't rise out of a chimney and then do a complete 180 u-turn, so you cannot Guage the effect of your burning by how your own yard smells.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I was being cracking a joke because someone mentioned to go over to the homeowner and ask him to convert to gas. Captain wanted to see what a potential conversation would be like. I'm almost 60 and this is the first time I heard someone complain about a fireplace.
Than you haven't been listening.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
There's no way I'm the only person who hates the smell of smoke in the air, who would rather breathe in smokey air than fresh clean air. Please.
No, you are most definitely not alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: