Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 07:10 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,026 times

Advertisements

So a dude loses a few cents in a TD Bank coin counting machine and ends the party for everyone permanently.

I LOVED those machines and used them constantly. But now, it seems that just about every bank on the planet has shut them down.

Are there any banks left with these machines in service in Northern NJ? I have a jar with at least $100 in coins that I'd like to cash.

I'm not interested in Coinstar (the fee is ridiculous) or "free coin wrappers" (ain't got time or patience for that). Thanks for any leads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 07:28 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
Are there any Republic Banks by you? The Republic Banks here in South Jersey have free coin counting.

Also, you can get fee-free gift cards at CoinStar. That's the option I always pick. I tell it to give me an Amazon gift card (actually a code on a piece of paper, not an actual plastic card) and then go home and put the gift card number on my Amazon account. You can get gift cards for a bunch of stores. Again, there is no fee to do that. Here's the link to see what gift cards they have and you can click on the one you want to see where there is a kiosk near you that will let you trade your coins for that gift card:

https://coinstar.com/giftcards

Old 12-30-2016, 08:12 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
Kearny Federal Bank

Old 12-30-2016, 08:20 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,637,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Are there any Republic Banks by you? The Republic Banks here in South Jersey have free coin counting.

Also, you can get fee-free gift cards at CoinStar. That's the option I always pick. I tell it to give me an Amazon gift card (actually a code on a piece of paper, not an actual plastic card) and then go home and put the gift card number on my Amazon account. You can get gift cards for a bunch of stores. Again, there is no fee to do that. Here's the link to see what gift cards they have and you can click on the one you want to see where there is a kiosk near you that will let you trade your coins for that gift card:

https://coinstar.com/giftcards

Did not know that bout CoinStar regarding the gift cards for no fee. Nice tip.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:52 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I didn't know TD ended it. Too bad.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:56 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
I heard that if you belong to TD Bank and go to a Coinstar machine, the bank will reimburse you whatever amount of money Coinstar takes from you; apparently because they shut their machines down. It would be the least they can do, considering TD's Penny Arcade shorted people for years (why it shut down). Don't know if it's true, but it's worth asking.

I do hope TD brings the Penny Arcade back.

Found this article with a quick google search: http://www.nj.com/camden/index.ssf/2...curacy_te.html

Old 12-30-2016, 10:08 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,637,829 times
Back in college I used to work for Commerce Bank (which was later acquired by TD Bank). I hated that Penny Arcade. It didn't generate any revenue and was just a nuisance to maintain. I know it shorted people at times, but I can also recall a few instances where it actually overpaid people.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:07 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Did not know that bout CoinStar regarding the gift cards for no fee. Nice tip.
Someone else here on C-D clued me in. I had been avoiding CoinStar for years because of the fee. Now I jingle all the way to the machine and Amazon likes me very much. LOL

Old 12-31-2016, 10:44 PM

38 posts, read 79,571 times
I use the machine at the Reigle Credit Union in Clinton. However, I think it's for members only.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:47 AM

229 posts, read 251,139 times
Not all coinstar machines give gift cards. Some only provide you with the cash option for a fee. You can go on their web site and enter your zip code to see which of their machines dispense what. The one closest to me only dispenses cash and I'm not paying their 10.9% fee to simply convert my own money to paper currency. Google it and you'll find various media outlets have tested public coin counters including Coinstar and found they are mostly not accurate. It's not just TD Bank. And the amount they're off varies. One family got shorted over $40!

My solution? I'm buying my own coin counter/sorter. They have models that load the coin wrappers for you if you buy the preformed ones. Then you just bring it to the bank and exchange 100% of your money. My advice is to avoid the cheap ones and invest in a good commercial grade one if you want accuracy and no jams. I recommend the ones made by Cassida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey