U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 07:31 AM

3,598 posts, read 1,946,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
This probably isn't the "best" answer, but the southeastern quadrant of Summit is 31% Hispanic and 8% black. Specifically, those percentages are for Union County Census Tract 380, according to the census mapping tool:

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

I live in this part of Summit, on a lower middle-class street. My neighbors on either side are black. My building is all white except one Asian. Just as safe as the rest of Summit, in case there was any doubt. And the highway access is better!
Interesting. I didn't know that Summit had lower middle class area.

Isn't there also a low income housing project in Summit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 12:03 PM

54,037 posts, read 77,513,623 times
What about parts of western Englewood?

Old 01-26-2019, 03:13 PM

9 posts, read 1,752 times
I’ve lived in predominantly black neighborhoods, both impoverished and middle class. What I have discovered is that black people tend to behave very classist towards each other. For instance, when I wear my hair natural, I receive very hateful treatment by blacks. I think people need to move pass race because the only color that matters right now is green.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:46 PM

9 posts, read 1,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about parts of western Englewood?
C
Itís funny that you say this because I know a black male older supervisor on my job that brags about living with a woman in her condo for free in Englewood.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:33 AM

979 posts, read 1,348,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGuitar View Post
I had to laugh when someone mentioned Perth Amboy as middle class....geez!
I mentioned PARTS of Perth Amboy are middle class. And yes there is a sizable middle class Latino population there. I could name a few right now.

Old Today, 04:07 AM

643 posts, read 395,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackGirl View Post
I’ve lived in predominantly black neighborhoods, both impoverished and middle class. What I have discovered is that black people tend to behave very classist towards each other. For instance, when I wear my hair natural, I receive very hateful treatment by blacks. I think people need to move pass race because the only color that matters right now is green.
I remember being a kid in the 70's and watching "What's Happening" Shirley was my favorite character with the big afro and the many afro's on the show and I think why has the afro gone out of fashion. Have you seen the movie "Good Hair" with Chris Rock? I did not know about all the issue's black women have their hair.

Old Today, 06:37 AM

16,365 posts, read 11,323,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Being that New Jersey is smack in the middle of New York City and Philadelphia, some of the largest cities in the country. I think because of that, NJ should already have a small number of middle class blacks and hispanics, and would eventually grow to rival states like Maryland and Florida.

NYC being 26% hispanic especially Puerto rican/Dominican, mexican, south american (half of the bronx is hispanic) and 23% black especially native black and west indian (one third of both brooklyn and the bronx is black). Philly being 42% black (especially in west and north philly) and 15% hispanic (mainly north philly) , most being native blacks and puerto ricans.

Everyone knows about the black/hispanic ghettos like Newark, Paterson, Jersey City, Trenton, Atlantic City, and Camden. But what about areas in New Jersey, like in NYC suburbs, Philly suburbs, and the Jersey shore?
What about Bayonne, North Bergen, Hackensack, Passaic, Clifton, Montclair, West Orange, Elizabeth, Plainfield, Perth Amboy, and New Brunswick in Northeast New Jersey, Asbury Park, Pleasantville, and Ventnor City on the Jersey Shore, and Vineland, Millville, Bridgeton, Carneys Point, Lindenwold, Merchantville, Pennsauken, and Burlington in the South Jersey interior. These areas look safe and decent, all much safer than Camden, Newark, North Philly, and the South Bronx. Can these areas (all of which have sizable black/hispanic populations) be considered middle class or atleast working class??
what is the point of this question?

So much detail and research.

are you asking as a relator, activist, politician?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or