Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 05:37 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,015,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
So 75 k is enough to live comfortably in Essex county? meaning paying bills and having money left over.
Like the above poster said, you won't live in Millburn or Essex Fells, but it certainly is doable. Belleville, Bloomfield, Nutley, West Orange, etc. would all be options.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 05:08 PM

93,209 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Actually, 75k is just above the state median household income of $73,702(2012-2016 census information).

What about places like Avenel, Fords, Iselin, Sewaren and Port Reading?

Old 01-22-2018, 05:27 PM

275 posts, read 213,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Since when Elizabeth isn't the ghetto?

Someone listed Burlington City as middle class...no!
It is a white and black working class city.
I had to laugh when someone mentioned Perth Amboy as middle class....geez!

Old 12-26-2018, 10:06 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,226 times
What are your thoughts on Hillside, NJ in Union County? The median household income is just a bit shy of $80k and its about 50% African American (according to city-data stats).

In most of the older threads that mention Hillside (and other nearby areas like Roselle and Linden), many seem to believe that they are going "downhill" and they get bashed a lot; even though most acknowledge that its not the worst of the worst. Is there solid reason to believe that Hillside is truly going downhill or are people just saying that b/c of its racial makeup or even because it borders Newark? I'm not too familiar with this particular area so I'm genuinely curious.

But yeah, it surprises me how lacking and nearly-invisible North Jersey's black middle class appears to be. Parts of Teaneck and South Orange have always been known for a thriving black populace so I give them props but few other places in North Jersey come to mind. Some have mentioned West Orange, Maplewood and Montclair and these towns may very well indeed have strong black middle classes too but sadly most of the majority-minority parts of these towns are regarded as the least desirable section of town (with many smaller and older homes that don't signify prosperity). There's also 7 Oaks in Orange City which is a beautiful area but sadly...its in Orange city which is plagued by severe social issues.

I'm sure that much of the black middle class of North Jersey are integrating/blending into white neighborhoods or staying in the inner-cities despite having the resources to leave? (Which is not a bad thing)

In the tri-state area, Queens and Long Island seem to have the strongest black middle classes *by far*. Even South Jersey seems to fair better than North Jersey since it has Willingboro and a few other places that makes its black middle class highly visible.

I hope that even more blacks and Hispanics (and poor whites too) in North Jersey are provided with the tools and resources so that they can make themselves flourish. Sadly, I know that many of those born into poor backgrounds genuinely don't want help and are comfortable being subsidized by the govt so its important to empower them to break this cycle.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 12-26-2018 at 11:08 AM..

Old 12-26-2018, 11:10 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,085,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
What are your thoughts on Hillside, NJ in Union County? The median household income is just a bit shy of $80k and its about 50% African American (according to city-data stats).

In most of the older threads that mention Hillside (and other nearby areas like Roselle and Linden), many seem to believe that they are going "downhill" and they get bashed a lot; even though most acknowledge that its not the worst of the worst. Is there solid reason to believe that Hillside is truly going downhill or are people just saying that b/c of its racial makeup or even because it borders Newark? I'm not too familiar with this particular area so I'm genuinely curious.

But yeah, it surprises me how lacking and nearly-invisible North Jersey's black middle class appears to be. Parts of Teaneck and South Orange have always been known for a thriving black populace so I give them props but few other places in North Jersey come to mind. Some have mentioned West Orange, Maplewood and Montclair and these towns may very well indeed have strong black middle classes too but sadly most of the majority-minority parts of these towns are regarded as the least desirable section of town (with many smaller and older homes that don't signify prosperity). There's also 7 Oaks in Orange City which is a beautiful area but sadly...its in Orange city which is plagued by severe social issues.

Maybe the black middle class of North Jersey are integrating into white neighborhoods or staying in the inner-cities despite having the resources to leave?? (Which is definitely not always a bad thing in both scenarios).

In the tri-state area, Queens and Long Island seem to have the strongest black middle classes *by far*. Even South Jersey seems to fair better than North Jersey since it has Willingboro and a few other places that makes its black middle class highly visible.

I hope that even more blacks and Hispanics (and poor whites too) in North Jersey are provided with the tools and resources so that they can make themselves flourish. Sadly, I know that many of those born into poor backgrounds genuinely don't want help and are comfortable being subsidized by the govt so its important to empower them to break this cycle.
Black middle class people are scattered throughout.

One of my friends is an accountant and his wife is a teacher and they live in East Orange.

Another one of my former co-workers lives in Jersey City.

Another guy I know is a minister and lives in Camden. He and wife both have college degrees, etc.

My buddy's wife is black/Haitian and they live in Jackson Heights/Queens, which yes has a middle class, but isn't cheap by any stretch.

My old bandmate has a pHd and lives in Yonkers.

Another co-worker, her and her husband do really well financially and they live in Franklin.

The list goes, on and it's varied.

I do think black people are less likely than other types to GTFO dodge and flee to the suburbs and send their kids to the best ranked high school they can when they get some financial stability.

That really hasn't been the pattern I've seen from my black friends. But most of my Asian friends are gone to the best school district they can afford ... lol.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:28 PM

34 posts, read 53,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Parts of Teaneck and South Orange have always been known for a thriving black populace.
Well in my experience, South Orange is heavily mixed everywhere, especially in downtown and Seton Hall University. South Orange has restaurants from many different ethnic cultures such as: Falafel-ly Yours (Middle Eastern), Walia (Ethiopian), Toro Loco (Mexican), Giorgio’s (Italian), Pandang (Thai), Ariyoshi (Japanese), New Great Wall (Chinese), BayLeaf (Indian), J & J Caribbean (Jamaican), Miti Miti (Latino), South Mountain Tavern (American). The South Orange Performing Arts Center has many different shows from many different parts of the world. The gas lamps and old fashioned houses and mansions do appear to be Eurocentric architecture. However when it comes to ethnicity, it is the only town in New Jersey that I’ve personally observed people (including children and teenagers) of different ethnicities bonding at the parks and restaurants with each other.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:06 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christophermuniz1993 View Post
Well in my experience, South Orange is heavily mixed everywhere, especially in downtown and Seton Hall University. South Orange has restaurants from many different ethnic cultures such as: Falafel-ly Yours (Middle Eastern), Walia (Ethiopian), Toro Loco (Mexican), Giorgio’s (Italian), Pandang (Thai), Ariyoshi (Japanese), New Great Wall (Chinese), BayLeaf (Indian), J & J Caribbean (Jamaican), Miti Miti (Latino), South Mountain Tavern (American). The South Orange Performing Arts Center has many different shows from many different parts of the world. The gas lamps and old fashioned houses and mansions do appear to be Eurocentric architecture. However when it comes to ethnicity, it is the only town in New Jersey that I’ve personally observed people (including children and teenagers) of different ethnicities bonding at the parks and restaurants with each other.
You're correct, South Orange is pretty integrated and diverse throughout most/all of its neighborhoods with all types of different cultures represented en masse.

The reason why I highlighted South Orange was b/c its black population generally seems to be very well off (just like the white population). It is not a case of rich whites on one side of town and poor/working class blacks on the other. A lot of towns in Jersey (and NYC) look diverse on paper but have large economic inequalities and the different groups rarely mingle (which is unfortunate).

Old 12-26-2018, 05:59 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christophermuniz1993 View Post
South Orange resident here. Even though we're finally getting some restaurant diversity, it is rare to see an Asian or Indian person. Spend some time in downtown SO and then go to the Costco in Union or the Livingston Y and you'll be startled by the difference in demographics.

South Orange has plenty of black people of all income levels, including some very wealthy folks. This is largely due to the South Orange/Maplewood Community Coalition on Race, which was established in 1996 to address white flight and declining public perceptions of the towns and the SO/M school system.

In my experience, there's a lot of mixing of blacks and whites, starting very early in the schools. South Orange, Maplewood, and Montclair are popular with families who want that experience for their kids. Very different from my own experience growing up (not in NJ).

Old 12-26-2018, 06:31 PM

34 posts, read 53,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
it is rare to see an Asian or Indian person. Spend some time in downtown SO and then go to the Costco in Union
Well I’ve been to the Costco in Union once with a relative of mine.
I go to downtown South Orange semi-frequently. Every time that I have been there I see a couple of Asians and Indians walking to the restaurants and convenient stores, just as much as whenever I see African Americans as well. At the Dancing Blender, there is an Indian woman, an Asian man and an African American man that work there. I saw a picture on the wall there with him and a Latino man from some news report show. Most of the customers that I see eating there are usually either Caucasian or African American.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:18 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,337,794 times
Would North Bergen count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey