U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 03:06 PM

368 posts, read 234,285 times

Advertisements

Being that New Jersey is smack in the middle of New York City and Philadelphia, some of the largest cities in the country. I think because of that, NJ should already have a small number of middle class blacks and hispanics, and would eventually grow to rival states like Maryland and Florida.

NYC being 26% hispanic especially Puerto rican/Dominican, mexican, south american (half of the bronx is hispanic) and 23% black especially native black and west indian (one third of both brooklyn and the bronx is black). Philly being 42% black (especially in west and north philly) and 15% hispanic (mainly north philly) , most being native blacks and puerto ricans.

Everyone knows about the black/hispanic ghettos like Newark, Paterson, Jersey City, Trenton, Atlantic City, and Camden. But what about areas in New Jersey, like in NYC suburbs, Philly suburbs, and the Jersey shore?
What about Bayonne, North Bergen, Hackensack, Passaic, Clifton, Montclair, West Orange, Elizabeth, Plainfield, Perth Amboy, and New Brunswick in Northeast New Jersey, Asbury Park, Pleasantville, and Ventnor City on the Jersey Shore, and Vineland, Millville, Bridgeton, Carneys Point, Lindenwold, Merchantville, Pennsauken, and Burlington in the South Jersey interior. These areas look safe and decent, all much safer than Camden, Newark, North Philly, and the South Bronx. Can these areas (all of which have sizable black/hispanic populations) be considered middle class or atleast working class??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 03:22 PM

1,232 posts, read 909,480 times
Montclair, West Orange, and South Orange are well above middle class. I consider them wealthy towns, but I don't know what scale we're using to compare them to other towns. I guess you could use the median housing cost or median income. Based on what I've heard (no actual facts at my fingertips), these are the towns with the largest concentrations of wealthy African Americans.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:25 PM

53,486 posts, read 76,827,524 times
South Orange and Maplewood are both about 30% Black and have middle class, pretty high to predominately Black areas on the other side of Seton Hall University from Newark: Census Tract 019600 in Essex County, New Jersey

Census Tract 019700 in Essex County, New Jersey (you can view census blocks within that tract)

Census Tract 019200 in Essex County, New Jersey

Census Tract 019100 in Essex County, New Jersey

Census Tract 019300 in Essex County, New Jersey

Census Tract 019000 in Essex County, New Jersey

Census Tract 019800 in Essex County, New Jersey

Also, Piscataway is another place that is worth a look: Census Tract 000501 in Middlesex County, New Jersey

Census Tract 000401 in Middlesex County, New Jersey

Census Tract 000502 in Middlesex County, New Jersey

Census Tract 000403 in Middlesex County, New Jersey

Parts of South Plainfield may work as well: Census Tract 000801 in Middlesex County, New Jersey

Teaneck as well: Census Tract 054100 in Bergen County, New Jersey

Census Tract 054200 in Bergen County, New Jersey (check block groups)

Census Tract 054500 in Bergen County, New Jersey

Census Tract 054400 in Bergen County, New Jersey

parts of Englewood: Census Tract 015300 in Bergen County, New Jersey (check block groups)

Census Tract 015200 in Bergen County, New Jersey (check block groups)

parts of Linden: Census Tract 034700 in Union County, New Jersey (check block groups)

Census Tract 035000 in Union County, New Jersey

and some others......

Old 01-02-2017, 08:52 PM

960 posts, read 1,325,492 times
I know that some middle class blacks and Hispanics choose to stay in urban cities but in more middle class suburban areas. For example, in Perth Amboy, Spa Springs is a middle class neighborhood that is predominately Hispanic. In Paterson, Hillcrest and Lakeview are middle class but predominately Hispanic. The Manor District area has a lot of black people and there are huge houses there in some parts. In fact I think a lot of middle class black people in the Paterson area live in this area because the percentage of blacks in the surrounding middle class towns is low. Forest Hill in Newark is mostly Hispanic. Hilltonia is Trenton is mostly black. I don't know of any middle class black or Hispanic areas in Jersey City.

Last edited by homenj; 01-02-2017 at 09:04 PM..

Old 01-02-2017, 09:04 PM

960 posts, read 1,325,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Being that New Jersey is smack in the middle of New York City and Philadelphia, some of the largest cities in the country. I think because of that, NJ should already have a small number of middle class blacks and hispanics, and would eventually grow to rival states like Maryland and Florida.

NYC being 26% hispanic especially Puerto rican/Dominican, mexican, south american (half of the bronx is hispanic) and 23% black especially native black and west indian (one third of both brooklyn and the bronx is black). Philly being 42% black (especially in west and north philly) and 15% hispanic (mainly north philly) , most being native blacks and puerto ricans.

Everyone knows about the black/hispanic ghettos like Newark, Paterson, Jersey City, Trenton, Atlantic City, and Camden. But what about areas in New Jersey, like in NYC suburbs, Philly suburbs, and the Jersey shore?
What about Bayonne, North Bergen, Hackensack, Passaic, Clifton, Montclair, West Orange, Elizabeth, Plainfield, Perth Amboy, and New Brunswick in Northeast New Jersey, Asbury Park, Pleasantville, and Ventnor City on the Jersey Shore, and Vineland, Millville, Bridgeton, Carneys Point, Lindenwold, Merchantville, Pennsauken, and Burlington in the South Jersey interior. These areas look safe and decent, all much safer than Camden, Newark, North Philly, and the South Bronx. Can these areas (all of which have sizable black/hispanic populations) be considered middle class or atleast working class??
I would consider Bayonne, North Bergen, Passaic, Elizabeth, and Perth Amboy working class. Clifton to me is middle class but also working class.

Perth Amboy is an immigrant city always has been. It used to be Polish then Puerto Ricans now Dominicans and Mexicans. It is predominately Hispanic city with poor Hispanics, working class, and middle class Hispanics. You even have Hispanics who graduated from Ivy League schools. Some Hispanics who move up to the middle class move out others stay.

New Brunswick has many Mexican immigrants and Puerto Ricans left so I don't know if there is a lot of middle class Hispanics there. Maybe there are some in Rutgers Village. My dad told me that recently arrived Peruvians move to Paterson but later move to Passaic and Clifton. I don't if this is true but I believe in general Hispanics from Paterson who move up socioeconomically move to Clifton. I was in Burlington once and I didn't see too many Hispanics mostly whites and blacks. It is not as "ghetto" as Trenton.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:07 PM

32 posts, read 25,736 times
I always find these kinds of conversations to be subjective based on what anyone's idea of working class/middle income/diverse really means. NJ tends to be very diverse statistically but very segregated or separated in practice. Even in some of the "diverse" towns you have folks of one race/ethnicity living on one side of the town in fine conditions and people of a different race/ethnicity living on the other side of town in something different. For example, in Atlantic City one side of town is predominantly Black, and the other side is Asian and Hispanic. Atlantic City is diverse on paper but pretty separated by any other measure. So you have places that appear in Census data to be "diverse" in name only.

That being said, in my mind's eye diverse middle class towns in Central NJ are Franklin, Edison, Woodbridge, Piscataway, North Brunswick, and Ewing. New Brunswick is largely lower income (at least relative to nearby towns). Asbury Park has an island of yuppies in an otherwise low income area-- Long Branch and Red Bank tend to be more working class (and also diverse), same with Neptune Township. In South Jersey I'd say Egg Harbor Township/Galloway/Absecon are diverse middle class towns rather than say, Pleasantville or Vineland (which are significantly more lower income).

Old 01-03-2017, 05:27 PM

701 posts, read 1,462,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post

I would say in almost every northern NJ community there is a decent amount of Hispanics which doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with the African American populations. Regarding areas with middle class AA you have parts of Englewood, Teaneck and Bergenfield in Bergen County. In Passaic county I don't really think there's a substantial amount in any one town. In Essex County you have Glen Ridge, Bloomfield, Montclair, West Orange, South Orange and Maplewood. In Union county there is Union, Hillside (not sure if it would be considered middle class), Springfield and Scotch Plains. The AA percentage varies substantially in these towns but generally they have a sizable amount of Middle class African Americans to my knowledge.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:37 AM

8,205 posts, read 10,362,730 times
Since when Elizabeth isn't the ghetto?

Someone listed Burlington City as middle class...no!
It is a white and black working class city.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:54 AM

992 posts, read 3,133,783 times
Middle/Working towns with a good-sized Black population:
Montclair, Maplewood, South Orange, West Orange, Teaneck, Hackensack, Roselle and Bloomfield

Middle/Working class towns with a sizable Hispanic population:
Clifton, Haledon, Garfield, Elmwood Park, Lodi, Ridgefield Park, Hackensack, and Bergenfield

Last edited by Busch Boy; 01-05-2017 at 12:04 PM..

Old 04-05-2017, 07:57 AM

3,555 posts, read 1,895,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
I would say in almost every northern NJ community there is a decent amount of Hispanics which doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with the African American populations. Regarding areas with middle class AA you have parts of Englewood, Teaneck and Bergenfield in Bergen County. In Passaic county I don't really think there's a substantial amount in any one town. In Essex County you have Glen Ridge, Bloomfield, Montclair, West Orange, South Orange and Maplewood. In Union county there is Union, Hillside (not sure if it would be considered middle class), Springfield and Scotch Plains. The AA percentage varies substantially in these towns but generally they have a sizable amount of Middle class African Americans to my knowledge.
Maybe I have missed them, but I never see any African Americans in Springfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or