U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 10:36 AM

43,287 posts, read 42,869,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbach View Post
Good point, you can also get a lot of the same things in some regular condos, I personally think a lot of the attraction of the 55+ communities is some of the people who live there prefer not to have kids around. As the father of two young boys who I love with all my heart, I can tell you that sometimes I wish I could move away from them for a day or two at least!
It's funny, because my sister and her husband have grandchildren and great-grandchildren who visit them all the time. I think they mostly moved there for budget reasons, plus my brother-in-law, who had some back problems, was beginning to have some difficulty with one of his legs and couldn't keep up with the bigger house and yard work anymore. Subsequent to their move to the 55+, they found out it was late-onset MS. This past year he moved into a power chair, and it works for them to be there because of the low traffic and speed limits on the community roads. He can go out and get around along with all the other old guys in their golf carts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 10:38 AM

43,287 posts, read 42,869,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roche714 View Post
mightyqueen,
where do you live that you have a one story condo.i would like that but i only see that in the adult communities.

also we would like to stay in staten island but the nranch houses I have seen are more expensive then my 2 family house.
I am in Monmouth County, NJ.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:39 PM

24 posts, read 80,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Just be aware that Monroe has a town ordinance against anyone living in a 55+ under age 48.

Which means your children for whatever reason cannot move in with you.

The reason why 48. Federal law says that 20% of age 55+ communities can purchase in 55+.

We looked in Monroe and the town ordinance was one of the reasons we decided not to buy there and
head to South Jersey.
This is a HUD rule where they require at least 80% of the community to be occupied by age 55+ to qualify as an age restricted community. I think this rule applies to all adult communities not just Monroe. Are you sure about all other occupants have to above 48 yrs? I would really like to know where I can get more information on this. The Monroe township does not have anything regarding this on their website. Anyone from Renaissance, or Stonebridge or Regency please respond if you have this clarified in your bi-laws or any rule book. Thankx.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:56 PM

7,384 posts, read 10,701,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashida View Post
This is a HUD rule where they require at least 80% of the community to be occupied by age 55+ to qualify as an age restricted community. I think this rule applies to all adult communities not just Monroe. Are you sure about all other occupants have to above 48 yrs? I would really like to know where I can get more information on this. The Monroe township does not have anything regarding this on their website. Anyone from Renaissance, or Stonebridge or Regency please respond if you have this clarified in your bi-laws or any rule book. Thankx.
My wife called the Township when we were looking (about 10 years) and they confirmed the ruling about 48 and under.

If there are models open, maybe the sales office can confirm.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:31 AM

3,257 posts, read 11,482,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
My wife called the Township when we were looking (about 10 years) and they confirmed the ruling about 48 and under.

If there are models open, maybe the sales office can confirm.
That's what we were told when we started looking a few years back. Monroe Township ordinance is no one under 48 can live in a 55+. The rule where we are now is no children under 19. There were some nice homes we looked at in Monroe, taxes and HOA's seemed high plus a lot of high tension wire towers in the area were the turnoffs. I wanted to come down to south Ocean County but my wife wanted to be close to our kids and grand kids when we are in the state and they are in Monmouth County so we opted for 4 Seasons in Jackson. Kind of weird since 6 months out of the year we are 1200 miles away in Florida. Happy wife - Happy life

Old 06-18-2017, 06:13 PM

48 posts, read 23,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashida View Post

I live in Englishtown, Monmouth County in a 55+ and was told when I signed a lease that 80% had to be 55+ and 20% had to be 35+ and of those ones, if they had any children, they were not to be under 18 years old. I am in a luxury apartment though so I don't know if the rules are different if you are in a sfh or town house in a 55+ community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: