Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 01:23 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Covers the pipe from the street to the house,

(But NOT the pipes inside the house past the water meter).

If it breaks, Etc.
So rcheung07 pays $720/year for this insurance? I hope he expects a line break REAL soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 01:23 PM

11 posts, read 9,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
I think all of your numbers are pretty close and probably average out to be right or a little high. It depends on how old the house is (for repair costs) and what type of heat you have gas/oil/electric

gas+electric for my house (2500 sqft) can hit $500/month (mostly gas for heat) in the winter, and maybe $400 in a really hot summer month (mostly electric for A/C). My water is around that in the summer when we water the lawn a lot (we have 3 adults and 2 teenagers). Insurance is around $100/month

Other things in my town, $50/month for private trash (yea) and $350/year for sewerage (just because they can)

Remember cable TV (if you have it now, it might be in your HOA fees)
Thanks for sharing. 500 winter months and 400 for summer numbers wow! So is my 250/month x 12 months 3000 a good number to work with?

Old 01-03-2017, 01:24 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
I think all your numbers are high, especially electric and gas, but so much of it depends on the house. What if you have oil heat? What if there's no air conditioner? What if there's no insulation? What if there's a smaller yard than planned?

The fact that you're thinking about this puts you into being reasonably in fair shape, but all your plans could go out the window when you find the perfect Victorian that only needs "a little fixing up!" or an amazing house that has recently been moved into a flood zone. You'll also want to know if you'll be making a PMI payment as well in case you can't get the 20% downpayment together.

All I'm saying is that your numbers are a good start. Stop massaging them too hard, you don't want to dial them in too low because there will be something you'll need to fix or replace sooner than you'd like. Our dishwasher died two weeks after moving in and then it was $400 that was unplanned for.

Try and keep around 5K around for your first year for something going awry or something you didn't know you'd need. Home inspections are vital but there's some stuff they can't know. Worst case is that you can blow it on a vacation if you don't need it.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:30 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcheung07 View Post
Thanks for sharing. 500 winter months and 400 for summer numbers wow! So is my 250/month x 12 months 3000 a good number to work with?
we like it hot in the winter and cold in the summer. We also have a basement unit for the father-in-law that has electric heat. The $500 in the winter is only once in a while, same with the $400 in the summer. But there are those months

Old 01-03-2017, 01:33 PM

Default Scary

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
So rcheung07 pays $720/year for this insurance? I hope he expects a line break REAL soon
Scary!

Old 01-03-2017, 01:38 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
Scary but not that common. You'll want to call the gas, electric, and water companies and have them mark where their lines are to make sure that you don't have any plans to dig in those areas.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:49 PM

389 posts, read 663,938 times
The water protection plan I got includes sewer line (street to cleanout in the house), water main (shutoff at curb to meter) and I also got 'inside pipe' plan-- though I may drop that

In my old house, we had a sewer block. Cost me around $300 to get it addressed. In this house, I had a shutoff valve start leaking two weeks after the 'wait period'-- cost me nothing.

Friend of mine bought a house 3 years ago, 6 months in, there was a puddle at edge of their property. 10k later, the ruptured main was replaced. They now have the plan.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:56 PM

389 posts, read 663,938 times
To the OP: (IMO) you also will want to have 'move in/ household setup budget' plus some money set aside--house specific--for actual 'improvements' you will want to make.

I always assume it will cost $10k for the former. Just a round number that I include things like new blinds, small furniture purchases at Ikea (to 'make it work'), etc. I also include movers in this, packing material, etc.

For the latter, you may want/need new tools... (leaf blower, lawn mower, etc), you may need to make some changes to the kitchen/bathroom (minor reno)... You may need to paint... I always recommend redoing the floors before move in--hard to do that once in. You may want to add blown in insulation (we did on each place we bought), etc.

Just my $0.02

Old 01-03-2017, 02:00 PM

All great information guys/gals. Thank you too much, I'm taking it all in and learning. Keep it coming.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
I think all your numbers are high, especially electric and gas, but so much of it depends on the house. What if you have oil heat? What if there's no air conditioner? What if there's no insulation? What if there's a smaller yard than planned?

The fact that you're thinking about this puts you into being reasonably in fair shape, but all your plans could go out the window when you find the perfect Victorian that only needs "a little fixing up!" or an amazing house that has recently been moved into a flood zone. You'll also want to know if you'll be making a PMI payment as well in case you can't get the 20% downpayment together.

All I'm saying is that your numbers are a good start. Stop massaging them too hard, you don't want to dial them in too low because there will be something you'll need to fix or replace sooner than you'd like. Our dishwasher died two weeks after moving in and then it was $400 that was unplanned for.

Try and keep around 5K around for your first year for something going awry or something you didn't know you'd need. Home inspections are vital but there's some stuff they can't know. Worst case is that you can blow it on a vacation if you don't need it.
jaymoney, this is great advise. I've learned to be conservative on all fronts which I will thank my wife but what you mentioned here is excellent. I just want to be in a good position to support and care for my family when all hell breaks loose on a house especially when babies/kids are involved . Trying to be the best father I can be I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey