U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2008, 02:22 PM

5 posts, read 26,825 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to NJ from Long Island. Can someone tell me what is the difference between Highlands and Atlantic Highlands? Just married and looking to have a family in the near future... we want a cute, friendly town near the city and the water that won't break the bank! (starting to think it's impossible!)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 07:58 AM

5 posts, read 26,825 times
anyone????

Old 03-03-2008, 01:58 PM
KCV

11 posts, read 40,888 times
Not sure exactly what the difference is. I am closing next week on a house in Highlands. It seems that the school districts are different for elementary school, but they combine some kid programs (youth soccer for instance, is for both towns). My husband and I liked the small town feel of Highlands, and can't wait to move in.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:30 PM

604 posts, read 2,695,681 times
Atlantic Highlands is where those homes up on the hill are located and you have a view of NYC and the Bay. The Highlands is a misnomer because most of the homes are along the lowlands near the water.
Lots of high prices water view homes in Atlantic highlands and lots of summer cottages and lower priced homes in the Highlands.
Right next to each other but two different worlds.

E

Old 03-03-2008, 05:44 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,322,149 times
I grew up in Highlands. Highlands and Atlantic Highlands share the same middle and high school (7-12 grades). The school is called Henry Hudson Regional.
They have separate elementary schools.

Growing up, Atlantic Highlands kids were much more affluent than the kids in Highlands.

Highlands is one of those weird towns where everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY knows your business. It's pretty blue-collar (Not that anything is wrong with that).

If I were to choose, I would opt for Atlantic Highlands and send your kids to a parochial school. Test scores for both towns are not great for the public schools. Sorry!

Good luck!

~Shanny

Old 03-04-2008, 04:26 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,258,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
I grew up in Highlands. Highlands and Atlantic Highlands share the same middle and high school (7-12 grades). The school is called Henry Hudson Regional.
They have separate elementary schools.

Growing up, Atlantic Highlands kids were much more affluent than the kids in Highlands.

Highlands is one of those weird towns where everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY knows your business. It's pretty blue-collar (Not that anything is wrong with that).

If I were to choose, I would opt for Atlantic Highlands and send your kids to a parochial school. Test scores for both towns are not great for the public schools. Sorry!

Good luck!

~Shanny
agreed, AH is the preferred town, but the hill section of highlands can be nice too, the lower section of highlands north of 36 is where the most of the trashy lower class people live. the schools are weak at best.
on the plus side there is little crime outside of the low parts of highlands, the people for the most part are hard working friendly types and you are close to the beaches and restaurants

Old 03-04-2008, 06:16 AM

49 posts, read 195,796 times
What is your price range ? Atlantic Highlands is nicer than Highlands, but there are other surrounding towns that are "close" to the water (under 5 miles) with much better schools and less summer crowd. Atlantic Highlands is a nice, walkable, family friendly town, don't get me wrong, but depending on your budget you may be able to do better. I live in the area, I have two kids in elementary school (I'm not a real estate agent, either). What is your range, how many bedrooms, how big of a lot, etc. you can either PM me or just post here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey