Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 07:35 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelliedfox View Post
Ohhh, I have been wanting to make a thread about this for a long time. I am sure others can relate and feel free to vent with me on why you dislike New Jersey! To clarify, please, no, "if you don't like it, MOVE", Well, then do something to fix that" Or, "that's totally wrong!" posts. This is just me, venting about my frustrations in New jersey. Having lived here for 23 years, I have experienced so much as a child and adult that's its fair I can vent.. and see if others are having the same problems. (or I am just weird as usual) No hate! Lets be nice!

New jersey is so damn expensive... there is nothing special about this state that makes the prices even worth it. Sure, we next to New York and Pennsylvania, but the commute is ridiculously expensive. (12 dollar toll to cross the bridge, WHAT?!) Not only that, but, if you hate the city like I do, who cares? Why make this place more expensive? A STUDIO 400-500 sq ft apartment is 800, if not more, and a one bedroom?! I cant find ANYTHING close to my job under 1200!!! That's a paycheck and a half from my BI WEEKLY pay!!! craaaazzzyyy! These apartments are also extremely small, barely include any amenities, and most arent even pet friendly. Either that, or they're extremely old or in run down areas. Anything below that 1000 dollar mark, is either too far, or in the ghetto. Like Newark, Camden, etc Can definitely find affordable rent, there.

Gas prices?! They USED TO BE OKAY. 1.80-2.00 wasnt so bad. hell, 2.15 was do-able, too. But now?! 2.40-2.60 right now and STILL CLIMBING. With how much everything is here, cheap gas was the only upside. People from New York would come to here to use it. I guess the only good thing about it going up is that New Yorkers will get gas there, thus, less wait in New Jersey for gas. Yip-freaking-pee. Supposedly its going to go to giving the state more money to pay to fix the CRAPPY roads but we will see. Our governer isnt the best when it comes to caring about New Jersey.

Cant say MUCH about the governor besides a couple of articles Ive seen. I know that he completely shut down women's rights activists, (supposedly) and cut academic/teacher funding. But thats all I really know. Im not really a politics person.

DRIVERS ARE HORRIBLE. No offense to the good drivers of New Jersey! But come on. Every day, and thats not an exaggeration, I am always swerving away from someone not paying attention and almost hitting me, cars making turns when they shouldnt, people having huge rage fits and causing huge accidents via ROAD RAGE, and my favorite, people purposely turning on high beam lights to punish people or forgetting about them. I almost always blinded while driving and not because im going to slow (I swear, I either go 10 or 1 above the speed limit, sometimes more. I know thats not good, sue me lol) and there are bright lights behind me.. I can feel them even when im a distance away, UGH!

Pot holes, pot holes, pot holes. Oh, and more pot holes. PLUS, CONSTRUCTION EVERYWHERE FOR MONTHS IF NOT YEARS.

TRAFFIC IS A HUGE THING!!! You cant go ANYWHERE in Jersey without it taking 5-10 minutes more. I swear to you, I lived in woodbridge and I worked at the wegamns... DOWN A COUPLE OF STOP LIGHTS FROM MY HOUSE (like, seriously,there was 3 stop lights then im there) and IT TAKES ME ALMOST 20 MINUTES!!??? HOW?! I live five minutes away but because tehre is ltierally only two ways to get to wegmans, either go entire around main street or go straight up main/green street and BOOM, TRAFFIC. And mind you, this starts at like, 3 freacking PM until 7PM! And this is EVERYWHERE. I get people are coming home from work, but i swear to you, the morning is just as bad. from 7am to 10am, its traffic traffic traffic. All the main high ways, packed. And trust me, i know my way around.. EVEN THE SIDE ROADS ARE PACKED IN CERTAIN AREAS. Sometimes, I just want to play bumper cars. See that road rage? lmao . Even I have it! Darn you, Jersey!

People walk around like their you know what dont stink. Everyone is very entitled to feeling like they deserve to get and do whatever the hell they want. When I used to work as a cashier, I could count at least 100 nasty, selfish, entitled people in line and lke,3 nice people in an 8 hour shift.

And dont get me started on the pay scale here. Its TRASH. I feel so bad for college students trying to live on their own, go college, and work a job. A job that doesnt require some sort of trade school starts you off at 8-10 an hour. Which, with a damned studio being 800 bucks, good luck affording that on part time hours with that pay. You have to live at home with mommy and daddy to be able to afford working part time hours and going to school And for some people; thats just NOT possible. Like me, I have no family nor friends. I HAVE to live on my own. and I dont know how the hell I made it. Oh wait, I got lucky and had a roommate from 19-24 years old. Oh and getting a to bedroom apartment for us? Oh ahaha, guess how much? 1490, FOURTEEN NINETY. The cheapest two bedrooms I can find are 1200. And those have WAITING LISTS FOR GOD KNOWS HOW LONG.

Weather sucks. Ridiculously hot in summer with humidity and blah ( i dont mind it but others do), and winter?! Snow snow snow, and the roads cant handle it. Pot holes are tremendously more common in winter as the snow and even rain, corrodes and breaks the pavement. Yay, more road work.

there are no jobs here. Good luck finding a full time job. Most companies hire part timers to avoid the benefits of full time. Not gonna lie, though. You CAN get lucky sometimes with job hunting. You just gotta look in the right place, I guess...

Phew, that felt good. What else can you jersey folk add!? <3
Yawn.

PS - You're wrong on many points. Plus - if you don't like it, MOVE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 07:45 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I don't understand the claim that there's nothing to do. What you really mean to say is that there is nothing you personally are interested in doing.

There are local music and theater events every week. There are meetups for just about every interest you can think of. There are museums, there are sporting activities and places to go hiking and wineries throughout the state.

If someone can't find something to do in NJ, someone is likely a person of narrow interests and a closed mind, and that won't change no matter where he goes unless he decides to be different.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:54 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If someone can't find something to do in NJ, someone is likely a person of narrow interests and a closed mind, and that won't change no matter where he goes unless he decides to be different.

+1

A few centuries ago, Dr. Samuel Johnson said, "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life".
Similarly, if someone can't find anything of interest to do in present-day NJ, then I have to question the nature and the scope of that person's interests.

If nothing else, there are always Adult Literacy courses available.
(Hint, hint...)

Old 01-11-2017, 08:08 AM

882 posts, read 1,669,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
The worst part of NJ is the people. Having lived 1/3 of my life in the west and midwest, i can guarantee the people on the East are the worst. Your whole vent is because of people. Every gripe you have is because of high population density. High demand causes high prices, the large amount of drivers increases traffic as well as the likelihood of bad drivers, large supply of workforce allows lower pay, etc.

We need to reduce the population per sq mile greatly in essex, union and hudson county. That will solve most problems as well as crime.
How does reducing population density lead to a decrease in crime? NYC has a very high population density yet is the safest large city in the country. The "high population+high crime" idea is about 60 years late, at least.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:11 AM

462 posts, read 549,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelliedfox View Post
I actually work in my career field and don't plan on changing it... I love being an animal control officer. It's just hard to find a job in it as there are over a thousand unemployed officers and no where near enough jobs for them. I am lucky to have a job at my shelter which took almost two years to find kind you. And the pay is actually ok.

Now I also have a two year old and I need at least a one bedroom for space. Anything above 1000 is too much and because of my field, INEED to be at least 20-30 minutes from bridgewater. Which I can't find any apartments in my price range close enough that don't have retarded waiting lists.

But all that aside, I still don't like jersey. Aside from the crazy costs of everything, it has no ther perks. There is nothing to do here, gotta go to other places. Hate the snow, shoveling, etc. we have extra laws here (like motor vehicle things we do here that other states don't) that other states don't that limit the residents. It's too small for the amount of people here. It's a very frustrating state.. Even as a kid I hated it.

I am trying to leave but expenses you know, it's a loooooot. But I have lived in another state and I loved it, honestly. I was in Florida for a bit but there were huge issues personal issues that required me to come back to jersey. If I had moved at the right time and NOT WITH THE PERSON I did, ohh itd be different lmao

But anywho, it's all my opinion. Everyone is free to disagree ☺️ I just don't see what everyone else does. And I've been here for almost my entire life and it's always been the same, and I've been all around jersey. From down south at Lakewood, brick, long branch, etc to central (Edison, Woodbridge; Perth Amboy, Piscataway, Plainfield, BRunswicks, etc, to north jersey to wear jersey gosh the list is rediculous) rd always been the same. Too expensive, too much traffic, too much inconsideration, too much driving problems, oh the list goes on.

Sounds like you are a single mom. Being a single mom is going to be tough whether you live in NJ, Montana or India. It just is. I think finding a way to bring in more income (side jobs maybe?) is the way to start. About the weather etc, I agree with you, I stay here because I have a job and family here, but when I retire I'm out of here to warmer weather I can tell you that. Everyplace is what you make of it, and if you plan to stay here you will have to make the best of it, if not for you then the sake of your child.

Choosing the right partner is probably the most important thing we do in life, and when you are young you are often blinded by the glitz (good looks, charm etc). Next time make sure you choose a good man, if you can't find one, then you are better off on your own. I think that is where your problem is, not with NJ.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
How does reducing population density lead to a decrease in crime? NYC has a very high population density yet is the safest large city in the country. The "high population+high crime" idea is about 60 years late, at least.

+1

Additionally, exactly how would the state government go about reducing the population of those counties?

>Does j0nx propose that people be forcibly ejected from their homes and resettled in more rural areas?
>How would those people be selected?
>How would they be compensated?
>Wouldn't that type of scheme lead to either loss of jobs or longer travel time to work for the people who are moved out of those areas?
>How would the state finance that type of scheme?
>Don't you think that there are certain...constitutional...issues involved with forcible removal of people from their homes?

If not forcible removal, then how would he/she envision that we might be able to reduce the population in those densely-populated counties?

Old 01-11-2017, 08:21 AM

351 posts, read 481,890 times
It is easy, we would just reduce the police force in those areas or have them look the other way. This has been going on in Chicago and I bet in a few years it will be a much safer city as the gangs continue to cull the population.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
It is easy, we would just reduce the police force in those areas or have them look the other way. This has been going on in Chicago and I bet in a few years it will be a much safer city as the gangs continue to cull the population.

Okay!
One more...person...to add to my "ignore" list.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:29 AM

351 posts, read 481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Okay!
One more...person...to add to my "ignore" list.
I guess if you want to put your head in the sand...

Old 01-11-2017, 11:04 AM

175 posts, read 180,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbach View Post
Sounds like you are a single mom. Being a single mom is going to be tough whether you live in NJ, Montana or India. It just is. I think finding a way to bring in more income (side jobs maybe?) is the way to start. About the weather etc, I agree with you, I stay here because I have a job and family here, but when I retire I'm out of here to warmer weather I can tell you that. Everyplace is what you make of it, and if you plan to stay here you will have to make the best of it, if not for you then the sake of your child.

Choosing the right partner is probably the most important thing we do in life, and when you are young you are often blinded by the glitz (good looks, charm etc). Next time make sure you choose a good man, if you can't find one, then you are better off on your own. I think that is where your problem is, not with NJ.
I have only had one man in my life and he we the father of my son... I'm not interested in finding a life partner right now. Especially after my only boyfriend beat the crap out of me then moved to Florida after and lied about it....

I agree with you on mostly everything, though. And I do work two jobs. I work full time as animal control and work part time still at Wegmans... And I still can't afford Nj. Lol I'm looking to move its just time, money, and the right place.

Last edited by Jelliedfox; 01-11-2017 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey