Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 05:01 PM

175 posts, read 180,395 times

Advertisements

Ohhh, I have been wanting to make a thread about this for a long time. I am sure others can relate and feel free to vent with me on why you dislike New Jersey! To clarify, please, no, "if you don't like it, MOVE", Well, then do something to fix that" Or, "that's totally wrong!" posts. This is just me, venting about my frustrations in New jersey. Having lived here for 23 years, I have experienced so much as a child and adult that's its fair I can vent.. and see if others are having the same problems. (or I am just weird as usual) No hate! Lets be nice!

New jersey is so damn expensive... there is nothing special about this state that makes the prices even worth it. Sure, we next to New York and Pennsylvania, but the commute is ridiculously expensive. (12 dollar toll to cross the bridge, WHAT?!) Not only that, but, if you hate the city like I do, who cares? Why make this place more expensive? A STUDIO 400-500 sq ft apartment is 800, if not more, and a one bedroom?! I cant find ANYTHING close to my job under 1200!!! That's a paycheck and a half from my BI WEEKLY pay!!! craaaazzzyyy! These apartments are also extremely small, barely include any amenities, and most arent even pet friendly. Either that, or they're extremely old or in run down areas. Anything below that 1000 dollar mark, is either too far, or in the ghetto. Like Newark, Camden, etc Can definitely find affordable rent, there.

Gas prices?! They USED TO BE OKAY. 1.80-2.00 wasnt so bad. hell, 2.15 was do-able, too. But now?! 2.40-2.60 right now and STILL CLIMBING. With how much everything is here, cheap gas was the only upside. People from New York would come to here to use it. I guess the only good thing about it going up is that New Yorkers will get gas there, thus, less wait in New Jersey for gas. Yip-freaking-pee. Supposedly its going to go to giving the state more money to pay to fix the CRAPPY roads but we will see. Our governer isnt the best when it comes to caring about New Jersey.

Cant say MUCH about the governor besides a couple of articles Ive seen. I know that he completely shut down women's rights activists, (supposedly) and cut academic/teacher funding. But thats all I really know. Im not really a politics person.

DRIVERS ARE HORRIBLE. No offense to the good drivers of New Jersey! But come on. Every day, and thats not an exaggeration, I am always swerving away from someone not paying attention and almost hitting me, cars making turns when they shouldnt, people having huge rage fits and causing huge accidents via ROAD RAGE, and my favorite, people purposely turning on high beam lights to punish people or forgetting about them. I almost always blinded while driving and not because im going to slow (I swear, I either go 10 or 1 above the speed limit, sometimes more. I know thats not good, sue me lol) and there are bright lights behind me.. I can feel them even when im a distance away, UGH!

Pot holes, pot holes, pot holes. Oh, and more pot holes. PLUS, CONSTRUCTION EVERYWHERE FOR MONTHS IF NOT YEARS.

TRAFFIC IS A HUGE THING!!! You cant go ANYWHERE in Jersey without it taking 5-10 minutes more. I swear to you, I lived in woodbridge and I worked at the wegamns... DOWN A COUPLE OF STOP LIGHTS FROM MY HOUSE (like, seriously,there was 3 stop lights then im there) and IT TAKES ME ALMOST 20 MINUTES!!??? HOW?! I live five minutes away but because tehre is ltierally only two ways to get to wegmans, either go entire around main street or go straight up main/green street and BOOM, TRAFFIC. And mind you, this starts at like, 3 freacking PM until 7PM! And this is EVERYWHERE. I get people are coming home from work, but i swear to you, the morning is just as bad. from 7am to 10am, its traffic traffic traffic. All the main high ways, packed. And trust me, i know my way around.. EVEN THE SIDE ROADS ARE PACKED IN CERTAIN AREAS. Sometimes, I just want to play bumper cars. See that road rage? lmao . Even I have it! Darn you, Jersey!

People walk around like their you know what dont stink. Everyone is very entitled to feeling like they deserve to get and do whatever the hell they want. When I used to work as a cashier, I could count at least 100 nasty, selfish, entitled people in line and lke,3 nice people in an 8 hour shift.

And dont get me started on the pay scale here. Its TRASH. I feel so bad for college students trying to live on their own, go college, and work a job. A job that doesnt require some sort of trade school starts you off at 8-10 an hour. Which, with a damned studio being 800 bucks, good luck affording that on part time hours with that pay. You have to live at home with mommy and daddy to be able to afford working part time hours and going to school And for some people; thats just NOT possible. Like me, I have no family nor friends. I HAVE to live on my own. and I dont know how the hell I made it. Oh wait, I got lucky and had a roommate from 19-24 years old. Oh and getting a to bedroom apartment for us? Oh ahaha, guess how much? 1490, FOURTEEN NINETY. The cheapest two bedrooms I can find are 1200. And those have WAITING LISTS FOR GOD KNOWS HOW LONG.

Weather sucks. Ridiculously hot in summer with humidity and blah ( i dont mind it but others do), and winter?! Snow snow snow, and the roads cant handle it. Pot holes are tremendously more common in winter as the snow and even rain, corrodes and breaks the pavement. Yay, more road work.

there are no jobs here. Good luck finding a full time job. Most companies hire part timers to avoid the benefits of full time. Not gonna lie, though. You CAN get lucky sometimes with job hunting. You just gotta look in the right place, I guess...

Phew, that felt good. What else can you jersey folk add!? <3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 05:27 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelliedfox View Post
Ohhh, I have been wanting to make a thread about this for a long time. I am sure others can relate and feel free to vent with me on why you dislike New Jersey! To clarify, please, no, "if you don't like it, MOVE", Well, then do something to fix that" Or, "that's totally wrong!" posts. This is just me, venting about my frustrations in New jersey. Having lived here for 23 years, I have experienced so much as a child and adult that's its fair I can vent.. and see if others are having the same problems. (or I am just weird as usual) No hate! Lets be nice!

New jersey is so damn expensive... there is nothing special about this state that makes the prices even worth it. Sure, we next to New York and Pennsylvania, but the commute is ridiculously expensive. (12 dollar toll to cross the bridge, WHAT?!) Not only that, but, if you hate the city like I do, who cares? Why make this place more expensive? A STUDIO 400-500 sq ft apartment is 800, if not more, and a one bedroom?! I cant find ANYTHING close to my job under 1200!!! That's a paycheck and a half from my BI WEEKLY pay!!! craaaazzzyyy! These apartments are also extremely small, barely include any amenities, and most arent even pet friendly. Either that, or they're extremely old or in run down areas. Anything below that 1000 dollar mark, is either too far, or in the ghetto. Like Newark, Camden, etc Can definitely find affordable rent, there.

Gas prices?! They USED TO BE OKAY. 1.80-2.00 wasnt so bad. hell, 2.15 was do-able, too. But now?! 2.40-2.60 right now and STILL CLIMBING. With how much everything is here, cheap gas was the only upside. People from New York would come to here to use it. I guess the only good thing about it going up is that New Yorkers will get gas there, thus, less wait in New Jersey for gas. Yip-freaking-pee. Supposedly its going to go to giving the state more money to pay to fix the CRAPPY roads but we will see. Our governer isnt the best when it comes to caring about New Jersey.

Cant say MUCH about the governor besides a couple of articles Ive seen. I know that he completely shut down women's rights activists, (supposedly) and cut academic/teacher funding. But thats all I really know. Im not really a politics person.

DRIVERS ARE HORRIBLE. No offense to the good drivers of New Jersey! But come on. Every day, and thats not an exaggeration, I am always swerving away from someone not paying attention and almost hitting me, cars making turns when they shouldnt, people having huge rage fits and causing huge accidents via ROAD RAGE, and my favorite, people purposely turning on high beam lights to punish people or forgetting about them. I almost always blinded while driving and not because im going to slow (I swear, I either go 10 or 1 above the speed limit, sometimes more. I know thats not good, sue me lol) and there are bright lights behind me.. I can feel them even when im a distance away, UGH!

Pot holes, pot holes, pot holes. Oh, and more pot holes. PLUS, CONSTRUCTION EVERYWHERE FOR MONTHS IF NOT YEARS.

TRAFFIC IS A HUGE THING!!! You cant go ANYWHERE in Jersey without it taking 5-10 minutes more. I swear to you, I lived in woodbridge and I worked at the wegamns... DOWN A COUPLE OF STOP LIGHTS FROM MY HOUSE (like, seriously,there was 3 stop lights then im there) and IT TAKES ME ALMOST 20 MINUTES!!??? HOW?! I live five minutes away but because tehre is ltierally only two ways to get to wegmans, either go entire around main street or go straight up main/green street and BOOM, TRAFFIC. And mind you, this starts at like, 3 freacking PM until 7PM! And this is EVERYWHERE. I get people are coming home from work, but i swear to you, the morning is just as bad. from 7am to 10am, its traffic traffic traffic. All the main high ways, packed. And trust me, i know my way around.. EVEN THE SIDE ROADS ARE PACKED IN CERTAIN AREAS. Sometimes, I just want to play bumper cars. See that road rage? lmao . Even I have it! Darn you, Jersey!

People walk around like their you know what dont stink. Everyone is very entitled to feeling like they deserve to get and do whatever the hell they want. When I used to work as a cashier, I could count at least 100 nasty, selfish, entitled people in line and lke,3 nice people in an 8 hour shift.

And dont get me started on the pay scale here. Its TRASH. I feel so bad for college students trying to live on their own, go college, and work a job. A job that doesnt require some sort of trade school starts you off at 8-10 an hour. Which, with a damned studio being 800 bucks, good luck affording that on part time hours with that pay. You have to live at home with mommy and daddy to be able to afford working part time hours and going to school And for some people; thats just NOT possible. Like me, I have no family nor friends. I HAVE to live on my own. and I dont know how the hell I made it. Oh wait, I got lucky and had a roommate from 19-24 years old. Oh and getting a to bedroom apartment for us? Oh ahaha, guess how much? 1490, FOURTEEN NINETY. The cheapest two bedrooms I can find are 1200. And those have WAITING LISTS FOR GOD KNOWS HOW LONG.

Weather sucks. Ridiculously hot in summer with humidity and blah ( i dont mind it but others do), and winter?! Snow snow snow, and the roads cant handle it. Pot holes are tremendously more common in winter as the snow and even rain, corrodes and breaks the pavement. Yay, more road work.

there are no jobs here. Good luck finding a full time job. Most companies hire part timers to avoid the benefits of full time. Not gonna lie, though. You CAN get lucky sometimes with job hunting. You just gotta look in the right place, I guess...

Phew, that felt good. What else can you jersey folk add!? <3
Lol. So you're only welcoming comments from complainers. I guess misery loves company.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:39 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Bye Bye...

Old 01-10-2017, 06:53 PM

No, people can absolutely talk about what they like about jersey too! (like no tax on food and clothes). However, I would just love to have people who share the same frustrations have a place to vent and let themselves be free of their frustration being here! Everyone has them. So everyone is entitled to have some relief by talking about it! Always better to speak than to keep within! wouldnt you agree? <3

Old 01-10-2017, 07:13 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Half the posts on this forum are people venting about something. We don't need yet another thread.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:22 PM

So many people from jersey having City Data rage! Totally expected. If the venting threads bother you; just move along ~ Its very easy instead of wasting time commenting on them.. and bringing them more attention on the threads. ^-^

Old 01-10-2017, 07:25 PM

229 posts, read 251,007 times
I actually like NJ. It's not perfect, but it has a lot to offer. First, It's part of the metro areas of two of the biggest cities in America. As a result contrary to the OP's assertion, it very much is where all the jobs are. Second, it's on the ocean. Who wants to live in a landlocked state where you can never go to a real beach. Third, it's got one of the best public educational systems in America, which is great if you have kids.

There's a reason why NJ is the most densely populated state in the United States. It's because a lot of people want to live here for the reasons outlined above and more. What's the alternative, living in dirt cheap places like Wyoming, Mississippi, Alabama, or North Dakota? And you think there's no jobs here? No thanks.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:03 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Nobody lives in NJ anymore... it's so crowded there.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:22 PM

Nj is rediculously crowded.. And good schools, are you sure? Where would these schools be and how much do they rank amongst others? I never read a good thing about many.

I've seen a lot of kids as I've been all around jersey and less than more seemed in educated to me... But that's also all I've seen. Where are these amazing schools and what big cities are you talking about? And what kind of jobs? It takes a lot to build into a good job in jersey and it's incredibly brutal and hard to do so here...

And to answer your question, I only like a couple of other states and others I know nothing about. Hell, I'd pick a different country if I could but that's a totally different subject lol

All that aside, it's great you love Ni, though. Everyone has their own feel for what they want and if Nj is what you want, I'm super happy for you. ☺️

Old 01-10-2017, 08:22 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
It is getting less crowded every year.

227K residents moved out of N.J. last year -- and 62K immigrants moved in | NJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey