Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 12:52 PM

5 posts, read 6,112 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from?
Currently renting in Union County, NJ

Why are you moving?
My husband and I want to buy a home to start a family.

Where will you be working?
Husband works in Basking Ridge, NJ. I work in Edison, NJ.

Will you buy or rent?
Buy

What is your budget?
Looking for a home in the $300k's or low $400k's. We'd like to be mindful of taxes also.

What kind of place are you looking for?
3 bed & 2 bath single family home, preferably built in the last 20 years (or older it if has been renovated).

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you?
My husband and a baby on the way.

Do you need/want good public schools?
Yes for when our baby gets older.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in:
We are in our early 30s and enjoy going out to bars and restaurants, but the primary focus is a good town to raise a family. An example of a town we like is Cranford, NJ.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance:
1) Safe area with good schools
2) ~30 minute commute to Basking Ridge and ~45 minute commute to Edison
3) Walkable downtown or nearby activities, preferably within a 10 minute drive (e.g. supermarkets, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, gym, town swimming pool, shopping, etc).

Last edited by Marka; 01-24-2017 at 01:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 12:59 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Bridgewater, with Somerville giving you the nearby downtown

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...58_rect/11_zm/

Old 01-13-2017, 01:03 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,863,697 times
Why not move over to Cranford? A 2nd bath is unlikely and you'll have to look at older stock, but you can make it work in your budget and you like the area with decent schools.

Tough market last year, hopefully this loosens up with more sellers putting them up this year.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Why not move over to Cranford? A 2nd bath is unlikely and you'll have to look at older stock, but you can make it work in your budget and you like the area with decent schools.

Tough market last year, hopefully this loosens up with more sellers putting them up this year.
We'd prefer a newer home so it looks like Cranford is out of our price range. Do you think that with more sellers will come more buyers, and therefore more competition and higher-priced homes?

Old 01-26-2017, 09:06 AM

No, it's more the lack of supply that has driven up prices. There are only so many people that want to move to Cranford. If they can swing the costs they can go to Westfield or Summit just as easily, and Garwood and Roselle Park are much less expensive but in the same area. It's a weird market.

Best of luck though, from what I've seen so far it's still a hot market: I've already seen two under contract the Tuesday after an open house in January. There's some stock that has been renovated with central air and the like in good shape for less than $400, but it's all older stock that's been modified. I find it amusing that it's the town you like but don't see it as someplace you're considering due to price. Why not add Summit and Millburn to the list?

Old 01-26-2017, 09:16 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella2017 View Post
Where are you coming from?
Currently renting in Union County, NJ

Why are you moving?
My husband and I want to buy a home to start a family.

Where will you be working?
Husband works in Basking Ridge, NJ. I work in Edison, NJ.

Will you buy or rent?
Buy

What is your budget?
Looking for a home in the $300k's or low $400k's. We'd like to be mindful of taxes also.

What kind of place are you looking for?
3 bed & 2 bath single family home, preferably built in the last 20 years (or older it if has been renovated).

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you?
My husband and a baby on the way.

Do you need/want good public schools?
Yes for when our baby gets older.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in:
We are in our early 30s and enjoy going out to bars and restaurants, but the primary focus is a good town to raise a family. An example of a town we like is Cranford, NJ.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance:
1) Safe area with good schools
2) ~30 minute commute to Basking Ridge and ~45 minute commute to Edison
3) Walkable downtown or nearby activities, preferably within a 10 minute drive (e.g. supermarkets, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, gym, town swimming pool, shopping, etc).
Branchburg, Readington. 25 min to BR, 30 min to Edison.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:28 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,511 times
It all depends on if one of you plan to stay at home after the kid is born

Old 01-27-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
It all depends on if one of you plan to stay at home after the kid is born
I have the option to work from home a few times a week after the baby is born, so it is more important for us to be close to my husband's job in Basking Ridge.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:39 AM

We found a home that we like in a great Somerset County neighborhood but it does not have a basement. There is attic storage and a garage, and the home presents the opportunity to build up. Should we buy now or should we wait for more houses to come on the market?

Old 01-27-2017, 11:30 PM

I've always found that when you add up the cost of any addition to a house you're better off financially just buying a bigger house in the first place. Once you add all your time living with construction for a few months you realize that it's more a pain than it's worth.

Is a basement a deal breaker for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey