U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2017, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,940 times

Advertisements

Allendale
Wyckoff
Old Tappan
River Vale
Ramsey
Looking for a new house now for about 2 years. All the towns above are pretty similar to me. What I am asking is for the following information:
What is the general consensus from the perspective of a person that has lived in the areas I am asking about for 10 plus years on the following priorities?

Priorities listed in most to least important to my family:
1. Schools K-12 (I have a 4 and 6 year old now)
2. Reasonable taxes (I sold my home in Rockland a few months back and was paying 19,000 + a year on a 2,800 sq. ft. house) So reasonable to me might be a bit higher than expected.
3. Reasonable commute to midtown (again reasonable is relative just moved from Rockland 1.5 hour commute from last house)
4. Family atmosphere community.
5. A downtown that has the staples.
6. Town that is on the upswing in terms of younger families moving in.
7. Last, am I missing anything that should be a priority?

My head is spinning with all of the choices, my wife and I need to narrow our search so we can zero in on a house and pull the trigger already. Thank you in advance for any advice you might have.

Last edited by Schweitzer23; 01-25-2017 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 02:13 PM

9 posts, read 9,033 times
I'm from Wyckoff. I enjoyed living there, unfortunately I don't know much about taxes and all that stuff. The schools are good. I have a good experience at the public schools in Wyckoff and the high school in Franklin Lakes. Ramsey has more commercial stores if that is what you are looking for. Wyckoff has Boulder Run which has some restaurants, Starbucks, grocery store etc. I wouldn't consider that like a downtown, but it is close enough. Wyckoff has a good family atmosphere. So many families and lots of sports you can get involved in. Wyckoff is probably going to be the most expensive from your list. Ramsey and Allendale are nice towns as well. You can get a train pretty easily from Ridgewood and I think Ramsey might have a station. I haven't really been to Old Tappan or River Vale much, but you probably can't go wrong with any of the choices. Good luck!

Old 01-25-2017, 02:40 PM

2,524 posts, read 5,810,756 times
Based on your criteria Allendale and Ramsey are the 2 best options out of the list provided.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:37 PM

789 posts, read 534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Based on your criteria Allendale and Ramsey are the 2 best options out of the list provided.
Just curious why you didn't include Wyckoff in there? We've been looking as well in that area and seems to hit all the criteria the OP was looking for.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:55 PM

2,524 posts, read 5,810,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Just curious why you didn't include Wyckoff in there? We've been looking as well in that area and seems to hit all the criteria the OP was looking for.
No train to NYC. I love Wyckoff, but if I'm communing to the city and if all things are equal I want a train in my town. I absolutely despise the bus and wont use it as a commuting option( I'm not the norm because 1000's of people take the bus everyday and are fine with it). Parking for non-residents was a major PITA in both Ridgewood and Allendale train stations(I'm about 8 years removed from dealing with that so that could have changed). Depending on where you end up in Wyckoff it could be relatively painless to take the train from Hawthorne which is probably the most non-resident friendly for parking. Also Wyckoff doesn't really have a downtown(unless you count the block surrounding the intersection of Wyckoff ave and Highland). That aside I think Wyckoff one of the best towns in all of NJ. I would have moved there myself if I could have afforded the house I wanted when I was shopping.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:56 PM

789 posts, read 534,651 times
Quote:
No train to NYC. I love Wyckoff, but if I'm communing to the city and if all things are equal I want a train in my town. I absolutely despise the bus and wont use it as a commuting option( I'm not the norm because 1000's of people take the bus everyday and are fine with it). Parking for non-residents was a major PITA in both Ridgewood and Allendale train stations(I'm about 8 years removed from dealing with that so that could have changed). Depending on where you end up in Wyckoff it could be relatively painless to take the train from Hawthorne which is probably the most non-resident friendly for parking. Also Wyckoff doesn't really have a downtown(unless you count the block surrounding the intersection of Wyckoff ave and Highland). That aside I think Wyckoff one of the best towns in all of NJ. I would have moved there myself if I could have afforded the house I wanted when I was shopping.
Thanks! I don't go into the city often as my work has me with air travel or from home office so I guess I have a bit of different perspective. Kind of nice to be free from worrying about they daily grind into the city so we are focusing on all those other factors.

We seem to be weighing the pros/cons of being in a bustling community like Ridgewood but having less house/property vs having more house/property but having to use the car to schlep the kids everywhere as they get older in towns like Wyckoff.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,940 times
Quote:
That is the kind of info I was looking for. Much appreciated. This is the stuff that a real estate agent may or may not tell you.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Bottom line:
I would love to find something in Allendale but I think that could take a few months to a year due to limited inventory in our price range.

I would love to find a house that is in descent shape in Ramsey without overpaying. I have been to many houses in ramsey that I felt where overpriced but somebody bought them. That tells me that Ramsey is considered desirable.

Wyckoff seems to have the best houses on the market at this time.

Are there any areas of Wyckoff/Ramsey/Allendale that might be considered more desirable for whatever reason?
Also, Does anybody have any suggestions for a realtor or agent that knows these areas well?

Old 01-30-2017, 02:12 PM

2,511 posts, read 1,596,107 times
Taking out the commute issue which I know nothing about, they are all really nice towns. Schools are good in all of them. They're really all very alike.

There are other towns I would add to that list.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:13 PM

2,511 posts, read 1,596,107 times
duplicate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or