Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 04:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,368 times

Advertisements

Ok, So having moved to the US and into NJ recently, i had been to the DMV to get my driving license. I had to pass the knowledge test which went fine. I was asked to complete a Road test before they could issue me a DL. My Last name in my country's DL is not "expanded" but initialized hence the road test! The next available date is March 31st. Is this how it is usually? Wait times of 2 months before giving a Road test? Cant be without a car for ~3months! Can i go to another DMV location and try my luck there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 04:51 PM

650 posts, read 774,728 times
How long is the wait time for road test ?

Old 01-30-2017, 04:57 PM

19,121 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
How long is the wait time for road test ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post
Wait times of 2 months before giving a Road test?
I know that I'm going out on that proverbial limb, but I think that the OP was informing us about a 2 month lag, prior to the road test. Please feel free to correct me, in the event that I was unable to correctly interpret what the OP stated.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:29 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post
Ok, So having moved to the US and into NJ recently, i had been to the DMV to get my driving license. I had to pass the knowledge test which went fine. I was asked to complete a Road test before they could issue me a DL. My Last name in my country's DL is not "expanded" but initialized hence the road test! The next available date is March 31st. Is this how it is usually? Wait times of 2 months before giving a Road test? Cant be without a car for ~3months! Can i go to another DMV location and try my luck there?

Don't know where you went or where you live but you'll probably have much better luck and get an earlier date if you schedule at a very rural location in say Sussex, Warren, etc. counties. If you went to Essex, Bergen, Union for you're road test I'm sure that's why it is so backed up. You may have go to a distance from where you live but I bet you can get something by mid or late Feb. if you can do go to an out of the way DMV center.

Here is a link to NJ DMV - they even allow "online road test" scheduling but I've never used it or know if it will help.:

Motor Vehicle Commission

The screen for "online road test" scheduling comes up as one of the passing splash screens....wait and click on it when it shows.

There is also more info here:

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Old 01-30-2017, 06:02 PM

53 posts, read 71,323 times
All motorists in NJ who are getting a New Jersey driving license for the first time when moving to the US need to not only take the theory test, but also a road test.

We have recently moved back to the US after spending a few years overseas with my husband's job and he is on an L1A visa again (he was away for 8 years and had given up his green card). He is a British Citizen and had an old NJ Driving License (and was able to download his license history on the NJ MVC site). He also had his British License - which he's had for 30 years, and a Swiss driving license as the last place of residence was Switzerland.

He still had to take a New Jersey road test lol! The waiting time in the more highly populated north Jersey was approx 6 weeks, but the car dealer wouldn't let him drive a new car off the lot without him having a valid NJ license. He went online and booked a test in Eatontown, Monmouth county and the wait was approx 2 weeks.

I had to go with him in our son's car (I had a valid NJ license) and sit in the driver's seat until the commencement of the test, when the examiner checked my husband's papers (theory test results, insurance certificate, photo ID - I think it may have been his passport and visa, as the new license has to expire when his visa does).

The examiner grinned when he saw my middle-aged spouse (he was used to teenagers) and was telling him that he'd been in the army and had done a couple of tours of Afghanistan. He said as soon as he knew my spouse had European licenses that he would have no problem passing the road test as the testing is more rigorous in Europe, where almost everyone takes a test in a stick-shift and drives for about 45 minutes on the road test. We remembered to take tape to seal off the reversing camera or it would have been a fail.

It's an absolute joke in NJ.....just a short drive around the block, just reversing into a parking space defined by traffic cones. It only took 10 minutes at most.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I know that I'm going out on that proverbial limb, but I think that the OP was informing us about a 2 month lag, prior to the road test. Please feel free to correct me, in the event that I was unable to correctly interpret what the OP stated.
Yes, The wait time is 2 months. The "earliest" date i got was March-31st. The Knowledge test was in Lodi and i have Road test scheduled in Wayne. I will check the other DMVs as well, hopefully they have something for earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey