Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,777 times

Advertisements

Will Betsy DeVos’ focus on school choice impact the house pricing in good school districts (e.g., Princeton, Millburn, Tenaly)? My wife and I were looking to buy a new house NJ, but I don't know if we should wait to see how this potential new policy impacts the price. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 04:30 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,212,413 times
My gut says she won't be confirmed. She'll be the one sacrificial lamb of the nominees.
Those towns mentioned have little to no charter options because the publics are so good and the state supplements a small or zero percent of the cost because of the high socioeconomic stats. Residents are not looking for other options.
Maybe more of a boost for towns like Montclair where families would love to get supplemented for Kimberly Montclair tuition. Or englewood where many send to parochial or Dwight englewood.
Interested in others thoughts.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:43 PM

19,053 posts, read 25,170,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
My gut says she won't be confirmed. She'll be the one sacrificial lamb of the nominees.
Maybe yes, maybe no.
Because she and her family have derived virtually of their income from selling Amway's questionable merchandise and extremely questionable distributorships for that merchandise, perhaps she will be confirmed.

Who knows?
Perhaps some segments of the GOP Congressional faction are also invested in Amway's highly questionable pyramid schemes, and perhaps they would favor this ethically-challenged turd (who has no experience in the field of education) as Secretary of Education.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:12 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,128,421 times
Despite there being a Department of Education in Washington, most education issues are handled on the state or local level. The most likely thing from any Trump appointee would actually be a reduction in Federal mandates. It won't affect differences within the state at all.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:00 AM

2 posts, read 1,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Those towns mentioned have little to no charter options because the publics are so good and the state supplements a small or zero percent of the cost because of the high socioeconomic stats. Residents are not looking for other options.
Maybe more of a boost for towns like Montclair where families would love to get supplemented for Kimberly Montclair tuition. Or englewood where many send to parochial or Dwight englewood.
Interested in others thoughts.
How do you think about Holmdel? It also has good school system, but may not as good as Princeton or Tenafly (according to the Niche report). Thx.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:50 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,238,595 times
If...she does get confirmed. Speaking purely all conjecture... Probably minimal impact to many suburb areas with good public schools. It is probably urban areas like NYC that may be potentially most impacted. Because if one has to guess what her plan maybe...its probably to siphon money from public school system and put it toward charter and private schools in one way or another.

Whether its requiring public schools to give physical space for charter, allocating or requiring cities to set budget & bigger for charter funding, form of tax breaks for private schools itself, etc. In a way, rob Peter (public school) to pay Paul (charter/private).

Old 02-02-2017, 07:50 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,477,119 times
She probably won't get confirmed, but someone else will and they will have the same thoughts on education

I think we will see more and more school choice in different forms, but I don't see it radically changing things in NJ

Old 02-02-2017, 08:18 AM

5,034 posts, read 2,240,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
If...she does get confirmed. Speaking purely all conjecture... Probably minimal impact to many suburb areas with good public schools. It is probably urban areas like NYC that may be potentially most impacted. Because if one has to guess what her plan maybe...its probably to siphon money from public school system and put it toward charter and private schools in one way or another.

Whether its requiring public schools to give physical space for charter, allocating or requiring cities to set budget & bigger for charter funding, form of tax breaks for private schools itself, etc. In a way, rob Peter (public school) to pay Paul (charter/private).

Exactly. This is already playing out in NYC. The fight over physical space in an area like Manhattan is a pretty major battle. (When my oldest - now 27 - was in elementary, there were two years that she had 33 kids in her class.) Add the problems with charters picking and choosing only the kids they want, and leaving the others for public schools to deal with, while taking away funding from those same schools, and it's full out war. My younger kids were pretty heavily recruited for a new charter school that opened up in a high school a few blocks from us. We'd get mailings every couple weeks. After talking to a few parents from our public school, it became apparent that they were targeting a specific socio-economic group. With three kids still in their early-to-middle years of school, education is one of several reasons we moved out here. As it was, I homeschooled for the two years prior to the move.

I hope those saying that it will have little effect on most NJ suburbs are correct. We've got ten more years to get through before the last kid is ready for college - if they even end up choosing to go. But that's a whole 'nother ball of wax, lol.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:11 AM

4,071 posts, read 4,112,671 times
The school here is disgusting. My kids, both elementary go to Cranford and both hardly have any homework to come home to reinforce what was taught in school. I was recently learned about PARCC and my 3rd grader has no idea how to do the English part. She aced her math because I am teaching her above her grade level.

I did made complaints about lack of homework but it didn't change anything.

The school or the way how materials are taught need a major makeover

Old 02-06-2017, 07:32 AM

23,371 posts, read 17,045,178 times
Public edu needs a shake up was hoping for Michelle rhee.

Public edu is in a coma reaching back into the early 20th century. sure, it's alive but moribund.

colleges and unversities are big business that somehow escape criticism directed at 'Big Business". Why is that.

Our country's future needs an intervention and it will not come from current EDU leaders.

whether it be Voss or Rhee it matters not, as long as the stranglehold by edu unions and dem supporters is obliterated.

Teachers and our children deserve better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey