Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Permitting Same-Sex Civil Unions in NJ Detrimentally Impacted Your Quality-of-Life?
Yes 7 13.21%
No 46 86.79%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 05:45 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
bunky..not sure what you mean in your post? Are you saying that you choose to be straight because it is in keeping with your religious beliefs but inside, you feel that you are gay? If true...this drives me nuts! Look what happened to our previous Governor..not so much what he had to go through but what his poor wife had to go through because he could not be true to himself - I'm sure his issue wasn't much different than yours. If you are struggling, I suggest that you seek outside help..not just help from your pastor or priest, but a therapist! Doing the "right thing" because your are being taught that it is the right thing otherwise you'll be going to hell - is wrong! Lying is a much larger sin in my opinion...living a lie..deceiving others is a sin!
i personally don't understand why bunky even responded. same sex civil unions has not affected his life in nj at all - because i don't believe he even lives here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 05:47 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i personally don't understand why bunky even responded. same sex civil unions has not affected his life in nj at all - because i don't believe he even lives here.
Hummm, good point : )

Old 03-02-2008, 06:25 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Thanks for the responses thus far, everyone, and also thank you for keeping them civil (I know how "heated" threads can often become on this forum). To the 3 voters so far who have voted "Yes" (it HAS detrimentally impacted your quality-of-life), could you please elaborate upon what exactly has been diminished in your life? I'm not trying to pick fights. I just honestly am trying to better understand what makes Pennsylvanians tick as I begin to lodge my own campaign against the passing of this proposed amendment here west of the Delaware River. I personally couldn't care less if PA banned same-sex marriage or not, but I never understood how government-sanctioned civil unions had any bearing upon religious beliefs, which is really the only way I can see it "irking" people. I also don't understand why hospital visitation rights have to be banned; isn't that just cruel?

Old 03-02-2008, 06:28 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,407 times
Hasn't impacted my life negatively or positively. I'd think the only people whose lives have been impacted would be the ones who find this personally relevant to them.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:35 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
I never understood how government-sanctioned civil unions had any bearing upon religious beliefs, which is really the only way I can see it "irking" people. I also don't understand why hospital visitation rights have to be banned; isn't that just cruel?
Yes, it is! What about best friends, who have remained single and gotten on in years, with no other family to speak of but their best friend? Not even gay, just their partner in life, shut out by being neither family nor a "union".

And also, I agree 100% regarding government sanctioned civil unions have no bearing upon personal religious beliefs. I don't think the state should recognize "marriage", marriage is part of religion, and a union is something the state should recognize. Its something more basic, about an economic agreement, imho.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Yes, it is! What about best friends, who have remained single and gotten on in years, with no other family to speak of but their best friend? Not even gay, just their partner in life, shut out by being neither family nor a "union".

And also, I agree 100% regarding government sanctioned civil unions have no bearing upon personal religious beliefs. I don't think the state should recognize "marriage", marriage is part of religion, and a union is something the state should recognize. Its something more basic, about an economic agreement, imho.
Separation of Church and State! I couldn't agree more! And you're absolutley correct - what gives a hospital the right to decide who should and how shouldn't be allowed to come to the aid of their partner - whether straight or gay!

Old 03-02-2008, 07:32 PM

180 posts, read 701,986 times
I can't even fathom how this would negatively affect someone else's life that has nothing to do with the couples in question. I am a conservative and this is one of the only issues in which I diverge from the overall platform. Its ludicrous to me.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy205 View Post
I can't even fathom how this would negatively affect someone else's life that has nothing to do with the couples in question. I am a conservative and this is one of the only issues in which I diverge from the overall platform. Its ludicrous to me.
It's ludicrous because it will never effect your situation because you are straight! What if the world was suddenly turned upside down and our goverment decided that straight couple could not marry or would have no rights protecting them from harm or even our laws. What if your wife..or significant other was in a seroius car accident..you rush to be by her side only to have the hospital tell you "sorry, but we do not recognize your relationship - you'll have to go and wait in the waiting room" - and when they do finally come to see you, the news is "sorry but your "friend" has passed! This has happened to people I know and it's horrible! It's about human rights not gay or straight rights!

Old 03-03-2008, 04:10 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
>my favorite line is "gay couples have the right to be just as miserable as hetero couples", LMAO.<
Tahiti won this thread. Move on.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:35 AM

646 posts, read 1,787,783 times
Check out this clip from the Daily Show that shows how we here in Mass have been negatively affected by implementing same-sex marriages :-D

The Daily Show: Gay Marriage Destroyed Massachusetts -- TheDailyTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: