Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 05:55 AM

29 posts, read 43,771 times

Advertisements

Hi friends. My wife and I (and our 5 month old) are considering moving to the Mark Woods section of Matawan. I'm not from the area, and in my search, can't really get a feel for the area or the town. Would someone be able to tell me if it's a good area. Is there lots of crime in Matawan? How are the schools? Ravine Drive School? Is it family friendly?

Thank you so much for any input.

Jeremy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 09:48 AM

462 posts, read 550,039 times
Matawan is a pretty nice, if a bit boring middle class town. The cost of housing is somewhat reasonable since you have a pretty long commute into NYC. There is a train station but I've heard the permit waiting list is very long. I'm not familiar with Marc Woods itself, but it is just one of the sections in Matawan and they all pretty much seem the same to me to be honest, split level homes built in the 1960's. I would consider it family friendly, it is not very walkable though and there is no real downtown, just a lot of strip malls on Rte 9 and 34, but some people like that.

I think the area is pretty safe, and I've heard the schools are pretty good if not elite- but good schools in Jersey are better than the best schools in most states.

If you don't mind an annoying commute to midtown and a rough trip to downtown Manhattan, then it isn't a bad place to go. The next town down is Holmdel, which is is nicer but even further and more expensive, but there is more to do.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:06 AM

29 posts, read 43,771 times
Thanks so much for the info, Madbach. We're actually not commuting into Manhattan, but instead exit 138 off parkway. So, the commute won't be so bad. I really was trying to get a sense of the town, safety, schools, etc, and you certainly gave me more insight than I previously had.

Thanks again.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:47 PM

32 posts, read 60,184 times
Had a friend who lived up there. Family vibes, leafy surrounds, and pretty unpretentious middle class. Good access to just about everything and definitely one of the better (and last) deals in Monmouth County. From what I remember the schools are still pretty decent, and the downtown is small and neat and likely more stuff on the way.
The surrounding area in Aberdeen is adding a lot of housing stock which shouldn't affect your neighborhood too much. There's a mixed use development going in at the train station, another mixed use development at an old factory site just over the Parkway, and a couple of new developments in Aberdeen right next to the Y. Might be more slightly traffic around this next year, but hopefully more business too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey