Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2017, 09:07 AM

35 posts, read 81,577 times

Advertisements

I will be commuting on the NJ Transit train every day pretty soon, and I will try to work on the train using my laptop via remote desktop. Which wireless service has the best data connection for this between Princeton and NY? I am using Verizon on my cellphone, and why I am usually happy with the service, data connection seems spotty on the north east corridor. When I tether laptop to my phone, the remote desktop connection often stalls and disconnects, it's hard to work like that. I have a tablet with tmobile, and that seems to work a little better, but hard to tell if it's significant or not. Does anyone have any more insights into what is the most stable and reliable data service on the NJ Transit Northeast Corridor? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 11:52 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,261,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konradsa View Post
I will be commuting on the NJ Transit train every day pretty soon, and I will try to work on the train using my laptop via remote desktop. Which wireless service has the best data connection for this between Princeton and NY? I am using Verizon on my cellphone, and why I am usually happy with the service, data connection seems spotty on the north east corridor. When I tether laptop to my phone, the remote desktop connection often stalls and disconnects, it's hard to work like that. I have a tablet with tmobile, and that seems to work a little better, but hard to tell if it's significant or not. Does anyone have any more insights into what is the most stable and reliable data service on the NJ Transit Northeast Corridor? Thanks
Used to have T-Mobile and switched at AT&T. With AT&T never had a problem between NJ and NYC.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:29 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,084,047 times
Don't they have wifi on some NJT trains now?

Old 02-26-2017, 02:43 PM

35 posts, read 81,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Don't they have wifi on some NJT trains now?
Never check that, but even if they do, it may be (a) overcrowded and (b) only as good as the wireless provider they care connecting to themselves. For reliable service, it's usually better to use your own hotspot.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:09 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,501,820 times
There are no public WIFI on NJT trains. Wouldn't want it, you can get hacked easily,.

I've used all 3 service and find no major issues at all until inside the Hudson tunnel where Verizon is the only one with reliable service inside. Not a big deal for me.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:14 PM

1,614 posts, read 3,741,749 times
Yea, Verizon is the only one with service IN THE TUNNEL. The conductors are always complaining about people waiting to get out of the tunnel before they display their e-tickets. The one guy just told the riders to all switch to Verizon

Old 02-27-2017, 02:38 PM

800 posts, read 1,288,288 times
as sonofagunk mentioned, verizon is the only carrier with service in the tunnel, i find verizon to be the best service and drops in data with tethering may be interference and connection between your devices, not the network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: