Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 12,233 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is thinking about buying a house on Broad Street in Burlington City. It is lovely, but it has been vacant for about five years. Since this seems really odd to me, I keep trying to research the area to find out why this might be. It is near a river, so I thought that maybe there is a flooding problem.

I also checked out the crime rates. I did see that there was a bank robbery this past February, and a car-jacking by gun, as well. There appears to have been a murder last month and another back in October. All of this tells me that I should find out if this is normal for the area. I've called a few local shops and even the police, but everyone seems to be really evasive about whether or not Burlington City is safe. (Seriously. It is really weird. Almost as if they were afraid to speak their minds.) In fact, one lady said to me that "safety is relative, isn't it?" Then she said that I have to remember that "it is a city, after all." Well, I'm from Boston. My boyfriend is from Philly. This little town is less than 4 sq miles and only 9,500 people. I'm sorry, but it IS NOT AN ACTUAL CITY. That's why we chose it. It looks like a sleepy little hamlet.

So, is it a quaint, artsy, sleepy little town or is it a crime infested location with a pretty face? I really want to know, because I have fallen in love with the house, but I can't have my boyfriend's grandchildren visiting us if the location is unsafe. I would love to hear from people from the area who really know. Thank you! Theresa :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 05:42 PM

200 posts, read 155,544 times
Burlington City: 56% White, 32% Black

Always check the "diversity levels". Fails my smell test. People will call me racist, but this is almost always what it boils down to.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:26 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanJ View Post
Burlington City: 56% White, 32% Black

Always check the "diversity levels". Fails my smell test. People will call me racist, but this is almost always what it boils down to.
It is pretty racist of you to say a majority white town fails your smell test. If I was white, I'd be offended.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:08 AM

2 posts, read 12,233 times
Default Your Test is Misguided

Dear "OceanJ",

First of all, I'm mixed. So, I find your comment offensive. I'm half Creole and half Irish. Second, we thought that the area would be perfect because it is a mixed neighborhood. Third, when I first moved to the Boston area in the late 80s, Charlestown was one of the most dangerous and crime infested neighborhoods in the Boston area. It was 100% white Irish. (Nothing against the Irish or anything. Like I said, I'm half Irish.)

Today, one of the most desirable neighborhoods in Boston is Jamaica Plain, which is very mixed. Mixed neighborhoods are usually robust and fun places to live.

So, I hate to tell you, but your stress test is misguided, and you probably need to look at yourself in the mirror. I'd say you might be somewhat racist.

But, thank you for answering my post.

We are now looking at a similarly designed house in Woodbury, and the only crime reported there (that I could find so far) was a stolen iPhone.

Thanks,

Theresa

Old 03-01-2017, 06:56 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgaignard2 View Post
Dear "OceanJ",

First of all, I'm mixed. So, I find your comment offensive.
That's the only type of thing that he/she ever posts, so...join the club of those who are offended by his/her comments. Quite a while ago, I added him/her to my ignore list, as I don't feel the need to see comments such as his/hers.

Just as most people with good sense will cross the street in order to avoid a raving person who is yelling racist comments to the wind, good sense would dictate that you place him/her on your ignore list.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:17 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I'm offended that you said Burlington isn't a city. It is. Woodbury is a city, too. I'm not really offended, but I can say that on C-D.

Neither Burlington nor Woodbury are the cream of the crop in south Jersey, but the the crime has dropped since the 2000s. Both are just OK. They've been around since the 1600s, they have a rich history and some nice buildings, but I wouldn't choose to live in either.

What's driving this? Price?

Last edited by Gerania; 03-01-2017 at 07:44 AM..

Old 03-01-2017, 08:18 AM

175 posts, read 223,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgaignard2 View Post
Dear "OceanJ",

First of all, I'm mixed. So, I find your comment offensive. I'm half Creole and half Irish. Second, we thought that the area would be perfect because it is a mixed neighborhood. Third, when I first moved to the Boston area in the late 80s, Charlestown was one of the most dangerous and crime infested neighborhoods in the Boston area. It was 100% white Irish. (Nothing against the Irish or anything. Like I said, I'm half Irish.)

Today, one of the most desirable neighborhoods in Boston is Jamaica Plain, which is very mixed. Mixed neighborhoods are usually robust and fun places to live.

So, I hate to tell you, but your stress test is misguided, and you probably need to look at yourself in the mirror. I'd say you might be somewhat racist.

But, thank you for answering my post.

We are now looking at a similarly designed house in Woodbury, and the only crime reported there (that I could find so far) was a stolen iPhone.

Thanks,

Theresa
I wouldn't take anything "OceanJ" says too seriously. I've gotten in arguments with that poster before and it's not worth it. He's a typical ignorant internet troll, probably a huge Trumpkin. It's unfortunate people think that way, but you can't change stupid.

I'm not the most familiar with the area around there and don't think I have ever been to Burlington proper, but I have been to Fieldsboro (right next door). Overall it seemed fine. Definitely more of a working class area compared to a lot of NJ, but I have never heard that area regarded as a hot spot of crime.

One thing which may be dragging property values down is the proximity to the Tullytown PA landfill, which is right across the river. The below article goes into this more in greater detail.

$2M settlement reached in lawsuit over landfill odors | NJ.com

Also, I believe that part of South Jersey used to be fairly industrial (....and still looks a little "rusty" in my opinion), so it's worth checking to see if there are any Superfund sites nearby.

As such, I'm not sure I would regard the area as "quaint", but haven't heard anything negative about the town other than that.

Have you visited the town yet? It's not that large, so I would recommend spending a weekend afternoon and try to walk down most of the streets to get a better feel of things. Visit some local stores (coffee shop, restaurants, gas station, etc.) to get a better sense of the vibe as well.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:23 AM

175 posts, read 223,082 times
BTW - I used to live in Boston as well and also love Charlestown / Jamaica Plain! JP is definitely one of them most underrated parts of the city, although it unfortunately seems like the secret might be out now

I'm pretty sure you already realize, but figured I would state the obvious that Burlington NJ area can't hold a candle to those neighborhoods of Boston. Definitely more affordable, though

Best of luck with your housing search!

Old 03-01-2017, 12:47 PM

200 posts, read 155,544 times
Quote:
So, I hate to tell you, but your stress test is misguided
I don't see anyone here volunteering to live in Paterson, Elizabeth, Camden, Plainfield, Newark, etc

They are hypocrits and I love pointing it out.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:04 PM

882 posts, read 1,669,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm offended that you said Burlington isn't a city. It is. Woodbury is a city, too. I'm not really offended, but I can say that on C-D.

Neither Burlington nor Woodbury are the cream of the crop in south Jersey, but the the crime has dropped since the 2000s. Both are just OK. They've been around since the 1600s, they have a rich history and some nice buildings, but I wouldn't choose to live in either.

What's driving this? Price?
Ah, the old is it a city or not? question. In terms of population, Burlington would seem to most to be much to small to be a city. Yet, legally it is officially designated as such. Does it "look like" a city? It has housing density, walkability, and a mixed-use center. Conversely, somewhere like Edison has a population of over 100,000 but otherwise would not fit most definitions of a city. It might be fair to say that whether or not Burlington is a city, there's certainly urbanism present there.

In regards to the OP's question, Burlington falls somewhere between gritty, crime-ridden ghetto and hip, artsy enclave. It's no Camden or Bridgeton, but not a Collingswood or Lambertville either. Until fairly recently, it was probably closer to the former than the latter. That said, Burlington has had a few micro breweries open recently, has some new housing developments on the way, and it seems a waterfront makeover is on the way. It's not great, but definitely trending upwards. If you're looking for somewhere quiet and quaint, you might like nearby Bordentown. Crime is not a problem there and it has a similar look to Burlington, though not as diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey