Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2017, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,277 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've been looking to move to NJ with an easy commute to NYC and has relatively good schools (currently have a kid that will be start going to school soon). After looking at different areas, Rutherford seems to be best fit my needs.

Does anyone have any information regarding the eastern way/highland cross area in Rutherford? There was a house I liked near there and it's also close to the park/playground. And also, are there any "bad"/less-desirable areas I should avoid in my search?

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 12:35 PM

862 posts, read 974,420 times
there are no "bad" parts of Rutherford, the Kip's farm area is probably the most desirable due to proximity to train and downtown area, real estate has been rising in Rutherford for the last 2 or 3 years with flippers working the area due to the increased demand.

only negative's are older housing stock, and high taxes, everything else is good.

Good luck.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:53 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,124,558 times
Personally, I won't live near that crossing just because I prefer being right next to downtown and the main street, not a highway. It is nice to be able to walk into town to participate in all it has to offer, especially when concerts, movie screenings, festivals and free library events take place.

Park Ave is the main street so you'll find the library, city hall, shops and restaurants all along that street starting from the RR tracks.

The bus route is along Orient Way and Union Ave if you need to take the 190 to commute into the city. There are other bus routes too like the one along Ridge Rd. for the 76 bus.

Most of Rutherford is good but just stay away from the flood zone along the Passaic River, Route 3 and Route 17 highways and the train tracks.

Good luck and hope you find a home you like! Spring is around the corner so the pickings should be better soon.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:42 AM

381 posts, read 1,309,064 times
(Hi, @kimchee! )

My only concern with that area would be traffic and walkability. It is on the eastern edge of town close to Route 17 and there will be a lot of traffic coming off the highway, and the highway traffic may be audible. Also, it's close to Erie St, which is a trafficky street along the perimeter of town with little on it other than cars getting on and off 17. One side of Erie is a high embankment for the train tracks. Although that would be the quickest route to walk to the train station, it wouldnt be a very pleasant walk. Other than that, it really just depends on the exact block. In that neighborhood some are a bit less pretty than others, but if that's what you can afford, IMO it's worth it to live in a pleasant, safe, commutable town.

We chose Rutherford six years ago for its combination of charm and relatively easy access to NYC and it hasnt disappointed.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:42 PM

229 posts, read 250,984 times
Another Rutherford resident here. I echo what Kimchee says. Hi Kimchee! There are no bad areas of Rutherford, but some are less desirable that others. The only section I would totally avoid is near the Passaic River, which is a flood zone. After living in Hoboken during Sandy, I've reached my flood quota for one lifetime.

The Eastern Way/Highland Cross area is fine. It's a bit close to Route 17 for my tastes, but if you can't hear any road noise then it should be fine. I haven't noticed a huge uptick in traffic there, but an exit from Route 17 is nearby, so it's something to consider. You'll definitely be happy raising a child there. All the trimmings of a nice town without the pretense. Many people say Rutherford is the lone South Bergen town that would fit right in with North Bergen. I'm inclined to agree. If there's a downside, it's that the taxes are a killer. Make sure to get a good home inspector, as there can often be surprises lurking in the mostly older housing stock in town.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:57 PM

9 posts, read 11,148 times
Hey - Rutherford is a great area and is often over-looked (I don't really get it),Overall, Rutherford is a great area with easy access to the city and great schools. One word of caution, i would be a bit selective with East Rutherford. If you are looking at Rutherford, also worth looking at Hasbrouck Heights and Wood-Ridge, these areas are really coming up, slightly more travel but quieter and less busier than Rutherford.

Are you looking to buy or rent?

Regards
REAG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey