Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 11:47 PM

19 posts, read 41,254 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I have a job offer in NYC. I will be working at 3 Times Square. I have only been to NYC once. I'm interested in finding a 1-BR to rent in NJ that is a short commute, relatively safe, and relatively affordable (~2,500 per month).

What are some of the neighborhoods I should look into and what is the budget I should have in mind? Please mention the commute times too.

Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 03:47 AM

862 posts, read 974,420 times
Depends how old you are, if you are in your 20's to early 30's and are single go to Hoboken, if you do not want the party city vibe and want more suburban and safe try Rutherford, you can check out njtransit.com for times and you may want to look for a place that you can easily walk to the bus or train, with that budget you should not have any issue's finding a nice 1 bedroom.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:31 AM

4,177 posts, read 5,055,122 times
anywhere along Blvd. East, in eastern Hudson County...

Old 03-08-2017, 07:34 AM

41 posts, read 47,261 times
Recommend Hoboken for sure. Will be able to get a nice 1 BR for 2500 and under. You can take the 126 bus that takes you to Port Authority fairly quickly.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:04 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,863,697 times
If you can afford 2500 a month you can find a place in Manhattan. Everyone should live there when they are young and if they have the money.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:10 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,628,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
Depends how old you are, if you are in your 20's to early 30's and are single go to Hoboken, if you do not want the party city vibe and want more suburban and safe try Rutherford, you can check out njtransit.com for times and you may want to look for a place that you can easily walk to the bus or train, with that budget you should not have any issue's finding a nice 1 bedroom.

This. I'll add that if you don't plan on taking advantage of some of the things Hoboken has to offer (restaurants, bars, PATH train) then you can easily save $700-$800 a month by choosing to live in some other towns with good commutes to NYC. If you give us an idea of what time of environment you're looking for you will get better suggestions on towns/neighborhoods.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:38 AM

19 posts, read 41,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
This. I'll add that if you don't plan on taking advantage of some of the things Hoboken has to offer (restaurants, bars, PATH train) then you can easily save $700-$800 a month by choosing to live in some other towns with good commutes to NYC. If you give us an idea of what time of environment you're looking for you will get better suggestions on towns/neighborhoods.
Thank you, Hudson. I don't mind city life but I would prefer a place that is more quiet and clean. Above all, I want a place that is a short commute to Times Square. I know NYC subways are crowded to Times Square and I ended up skipping a few. How are PATH trains or buses?

Old 03-08-2017, 11:13 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,628,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alishagizri View Post
Thank you, Hudson. I don't mind city life but I would prefer a place that is more quiet and clean. Above all, I want a place that is a short commute to Times Square. I know NYC subways are crowded to Times Square and I ended up skipping a few. How are PATH trains or buses?
The PATH to midtown (33rd st) is pretty packed, from what I hear. You would have to either walk to Times Square or take another train from there. If you're looking to avoid all of that, you're better off taking the bus. There are quieter pockets within Hoboken, so I don't think you would be unhappy with the noise level or cleanliness.

I personally don't think I would pay the premium to live in Hoboken if the PATH doesn't get me to work in a shorter amount of time than a bus would. If I were in your shoes I would live in one of the condos along River Rd (West New York, Weehawken etc) and take a bus to work. This gives you some restaurant/bar options right on River Rd and just a short Uber ride to Hoboken. Just my opinion. Good luck in your search.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:21 AM

252 posts, read 455,863 times
In Weehawken, the blocks west of Boulevard East and the Gregory Avenue neighborhood are quiet, clean, and safe. Apartment rents in these areas are under $2,500, however most apartments are in old multifamily houses and small apartment buildings without amenities.

NJ transit buses and jitney buses connecting Weehawken to Manhattan run virtually non-stop during the morning rush hour. Everyplace in Weehawken is within 10 minutes’ walk of a bus stop. The return journey is trickier because the buses leave from different spots in and around the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

The trip into Manhattan takes between 10 and 30 minutes, depending where you board the bus and the level of traffic congestion. The trip is slightly quicker returning home in the evening.

Most bus routes originate outside Weehawken and the buses are crowded by the time they get to Weehawken. To get a seat, take a jitney bus because they won't accept standing passengers and only stop if seats are available. The only way to get a seat consistently on a weekday morning NJ Transit bus in Weehawken is to board one of the two morning departures of the 123 bus that originates at Troy Towers in Union City, a large coop building next to Weehawken's Gregory Avenue neighborhood.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:08 AM

862 posts, read 974,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alishagizri View Post
Basically the closer you get to NYC the more congested, Weehawken and Union city are ok but if you have a car parking is a real issue, English is more of a second language in this area as the main language is Spanish, Blvd East does have great view's of NYC.

Basically if you are looking for a great suburban town that you can have a car, nice downtown, feel safe, you can try Rutherford, 8 miles west of nyc, bus to port authority would be a easy commute.

If you do not have a car and want city living try Hoboken, Weehawken ect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey