Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 08:45 AM

702 posts, read 539,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Ha, think again. My private college had crap dorms, literally falling apart, meanwhile the president's wife was paid well into six figures each year to design the landscaping for the property.

This was in New York City.

I mean, just look at all the awesome for-profit schools out there. No mismanagement at all. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_University

LMAO, how willfully blind do you need to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 11:02 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,301 times
Isn't this fairly typical for big US school? Millions spent on stupid athletes to compete in sports played only in America that are becoming less and less popular. Meanwhile, the funding for gym and fitness programs for everyone is being cut as the country becomes more and more obese. If it were me, I would make substantial cuts in funding athletic teams and invest more in mandatory fitness classes for everyone...

Old 03-13-2017, 09:07 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
that money should be spent on science like figuring out how to cure pooping in your pants when you're old. I don't want to wear a diaper again

Old 03-15-2017, 06:37 AM

4,154 posts, read 4,170,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
shouldn't student be focused on studying?
That's not under any politician agenda.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:26 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Isn't this fairly typical for big US school? Millions spent on stupid athletes to compete in sports played only in America that are becoming less and less popular. Meanwhile, the funding for gym and fitness programs for everyone is being cut as the country becomes more and more obese. If it were me, I would make substantial cuts in funding athletic teams and invest more in mandatory fitness classes for everyone...
For the big name schools, sports bring in a ton of money, especially from big TV contracts. That's why Rutgers joined the Big 10. The top athletes only want to play for the big schools, so joining the Big 10 was Rutgers' attempt at beefing up their athletic programs. This article is silly, because obviously this is not something that is going to happen overnight. I believe when Rutgers first joined the Big 10 they were looking at this as at least a 5-year investment before they start seeing returns. The article fails to mention that.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:01 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
For the big name schools, sports bring in a ton of money, especially from big TV contracts. That's why Rutgers joined the Big 10. The top athletes only want to play for the big schools, so joining the Big 10 was Rutgers' attempt at beefing up their athletic programs. This article is silly, because obviously this is not something that is going to happen overnight. I believe when Rutgers first joined the Big 10 they were looking at this as at least a 5-year investment before they start seeing returns. The article fails to mention that.

College sports programs don't have a very good track record in becoming self funding, so for Rutgers to be successful, it would have to be one of the exceptions:

Growth in Division I athletics expenses outpaces revenue increases | NCAA.org - The Official Site of the NCAA

And the outcome won't be known until a lot of money has already been spent up front.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:28 AM

462 posts, read 549,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post

There won't be any returns. Rutgers athletics is a mismanaged cesspool, every school is corrupted by big money contracts but Rutgers basically sold their soul to try to chase schools that are out of their league. Does anyone really think that Rutgers will ever compete with the Michigans and Ohio States at any time?

And even if they suddenly did become competitive it would take years and years to recoup the losses they have already sustained. And how many basketball/football coaches and athletic directors have they been through in the last 5 years. They hire corrupt sleaze balls who just bring a bad name to the school, and even if they are lucky enough to get a good coach in and he is successful you can be sure he will leave for an opening at a better school within a couple of years. In the meantime expect them to keep recruiting rapists and killers that other schools won't touch in an attempt to vainly compete with the top schools.

Rutgers belongs in the Atlantic 10 at best.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:09 PM

377 posts, read 474,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Rutgers is trying to compete in the Big Ten but it isn't yet receiving a full share of the Big Ten revenue pie. Being a new member, RU gets a lesser revenue share until 2021. And we're talking a difference of close to $40 million per year (edited because my initial post did not include the Fox media deal with Big Ten last year).

I disagree with the tone of the article. The Big Ten is more than athletics. The CIC (now Big Ten Academic Alliance) is huge for the university's research and academic programs. We'll see how things play out as the years go on and revenue comes in, but I've viewed the whole move to the Big Ten as a case of short term expense but huge upside long term.
Agree, really strange timing for that article. If the athletic department continues to vastly overspend relative to income once Rutgers is getting a full Big Ten share (and still losing as well) then they will deserve lots of ridicule.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:24 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
they should use that money to bring down tuition costs and focus on science. Only sports that are needed are intramural sports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m1s2NFOGyg

Old 03-17-2017, 08:53 AM

462 posts, read 549,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
Agree, really strange timing for that article. If the athletic department continues to vastly overspend relative to income once Rutgers is getting a full Big Ten share (and still losing as well) then they will deserve lots of ridicule.

They will have to keep spending to keep up. The extra money from the Big 10 contract will help, but it won't be nearly enough. To stay in the Big 10 Rutgers will have to be more competitive in basketball and football, and they haven't shown any indication that they will be in the future- actually their programs have declined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: