Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 03:41 PM

482 posts, read 722,065 times

Advertisements

My taxes are at those levels per quarter. Westchester and Long Island are worse. I had a family member sell their life long house (2500 SF on a quarter acre) in lower westchester. The buyer knocked it down and built a larger house and the taxes skyrocketed to 80k...on a quarter acre...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 04:00 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,476,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Or, wait for it: a smaller single family home on a smaller lot.

If you want to pay less in taxes buy a smaller home. Yes, you're going to be missing out on the large room to put the wet bar in and there's not going to be space for the hot tub next to the pool, but when taxes are going to be a huge part of the equation, buying a smaller house that is actually affordable means you can actually make it work.

Yes, we do not own the biggest house in town, but I'm super happy that my taxes are half that of the guy around the corner who purchased two lots side by side and then plunked a massive McMansion on it. He admits he never uses his great room and is annoyed by the cost of the maid they had to hire to keep the entire first floor clean in case anyone stops by, but those are choices they made. Nobody else has to make those choices, and in the meantime I use the same library, the same schools, and spend half as much on lawn care and everything else. Not to mention that he's already talking about downsizing in a few years when the kids are out of high school.

You can buy the Porsche but not afford the insurance or you can get the Ford and be able to drive it. It's all about the priorities. There are houses with less than seven grand in taxes per year.
at the end of the day, if you cant afford it; you cant afford it.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:29 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,241,616 times
We rent below our means, and I don't plan on being a homeowner unless family circumstances change which would require more space and/or a different neighborhood. This allows us to save with discretionary income left over, and it's comforting knowing that though home ownership in NJ may seem unattainable, having savings makes it possible to buy a property outright in a cheaper COLA as a result.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:45 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,834,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
What are your taxes, square footage and lot size?
$6400 this year, 1250 and I think it's .06 of an acre.

I'm also remembering that we have a volunteer fire service and the police department isn't huge. Everyone also has their trash service separately as well, so there are a number of things not covered by taxes.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:51 PM

7,646 posts, read 6,417,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenaga View Post
I've been looking for a house for almost 6 months now in Central/North Jersey. Most places I look, the property taxes are ridiculous. Unless I move to South Jersey or to the west closer to PA, I can't afford the average $8,000 a year in taxes. The average median income in NJ is $80,000 which is in my income range but a mortgage on top of the property taxes will mean half of my net income will be towards housing.

Any advice? Or just continue renting? I've lived here almost all my life and love NJ but I feel like it has been getting more expensive over the past few years.
you could buy in newark before it gentrifies.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:55 AM

859 posts, read 961,481 times
8K is low, at least for Essex or Bergen county, are you just 1 person? if so just rent.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:21 AM

79 posts, read 267,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Buy a smaller house. We certainly pay less than seven grand for our 3br in Cranford
I also live in Cranford and definitely I'm paying more than that in property taxes

Old 03-21-2017, 11:43 AM

5,027 posts, read 2,230,818 times
Ours taxes are a bit above where the OP wants, but our house has a larger yard - something that outweighs other things for us, since the kids and dogs spend so much time out there. There's one house in town with taxes under $8,000 right now. Warren's taxes are pretty low, too. Several there under 8.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:55 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,944,077 times
Or... look in a town like Hanover Township (Morris County) where you can find plenty of houses with taxes under $7k. Like this one:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...45_rect/14_zm/

Good schools. Good highway access. Nearby train stations.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:46 AM

2,659 posts, read 2,068,756 times
The high property taxes threads is on of the most popular in this forum. I think the answer is that the taxes in NJ are not any higher and are perhaps lower that in other suburbs commutable to NYC. Westchester, Nassau County of Long Island, Fairfield County in CT probably have higher taxes than NJ's.

I think everyone should really be complaining about healthcare costs. I hope not to see the day when healthcare costs would become higher than property taxes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey