Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 03:15 PM

6 posts, read 4,513 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I've been combing these forums for the past couple days, looking for anything that could help me with my upcoming move. The info I've found has been incredibly helpful and I am very excited for this new job that'll put me in the NJ/NY area!

Here is my questionnaire:

Where are you coming from?
Charleston, SC. Beautiful and amazing city, but it's time for something a bit bigger. I'm originally from the northern VA/DC suburbs.

Why are you moving?
New job! I'll be doing up to 75% travel, which is what is driving this concern...

Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
Varies, I'll be going site-to-site. This requires me to have a car, as well as be decently close to Newark airport.

Will you buy or rent?
Definitely rent.

What is your budget ?
Trying to stay under $1,700. I'd prefer 1BR just to try it out but I'm fine with roommates, been living with them my whole life.

What kind of place are you looking for ?
An apartment that will really give me that "city life" experience that I've been missing out this whole time. I've grown up in suburbs and throughout many visits to cities all over the world, I now want to see what all the fuss is about.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
Nope, just me.

Do you need/want good public schools?
Nope.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)

Preferably a lively, young neighborhood. As a single, mid-20's male, I'm wanting to have that social life when I'm not working.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
Easy parking, nightlife, and quick trip into NYC.

The way I see it, I have 3 options:

1. Rent a place in Manhattan. I have a buddy who will also be looking for a place come May (when I'm moving), and we've been talking about getting a lease somewhere.

2. Rent a place in Jersey City or Hoboken. Seems like a good compromise of being close to the city but having (easier) access to my car.

3. Rent a place in Morristown. I get that this is going to be the suburbia I've grown used to, but it is more of my backup just in case the first 2 options really don't work out.

The problem with #1 is that I will definitely not want to (nor afford) parking my car in the city. Therefore, I've thought about paying for a monthly parking garage in JC, so that when I need it, I could "commute" to my car from Manhattan and then go wherever I need to. On a similar note, public transportation to Newark airport would be easy as well. Is this something that sounds doable? I'm willing to sacrifice a little convenience for the opportunity to live in NYC. Like I mentioned, I'll be doing 75% travel so I wouldn't have to do this "commute" anymore than 1-2 times per week.

Jersey City/Hoboken would be a good in-between, still retaining a city lifestyle but having slightly easier access to my car.

And of course, Morristown would be no problem. However, I have trouble justifying paying just as much rent to live out there than it would be for a pretty much equal place in JC!

Thanks very much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 04:21 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
For parking, check out Little Man on Montgomery Street. I used to park there days, but they do monthly. It's about 5 minutes walk from the Exch Pl PATH.

Monthly Customers

Old 03-20-2017, 05:11 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
If you're going to be traveling so much IMHO you shouldn't spend a lot on rent. Live somewhere in the cheapest price range for what you want (which more likely than not will not be the city). If you're going to be traveling 75% of the time, why spend so much on rent if you won't even be around?

Old 03-20-2017, 06:27 PM

551 posts, read 1,188,279 times
Hoboken would be a safe bet - city vibe, restaurants, artsy culture and quick to NYC access and airport

Old 03-20-2017, 09:18 PM

@Mightyqueen801 - Hmm, not a bad suggestion, I'll have to give them a call and see what their rates are. Thanks!

@JerseyGirl415 - my buddy and I were looking around LES apartments that would be in the $2.4-2.8k range... fairly reasonable if we split the rent. The nice thing about the travel is that when I'm home, I'll be able to work from home and to have that be in the city would be fantastic.

@SonorityGenius - yes I agree, Hoboken was actually my first choice but I for sure would need roommates there. My buddy, for whatever reason, doesn't want to leave Manhattan so I'd probably have to room with random roommates if I wanted to be there, though. The issue with Hoboken would be the alternate-side parking, and if I'm away for any length of time (via airplane), that could get tricky. Might still have to use monthly parking (or park near the airport).

Thanks for all your advice so far!

Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 PM

16 posts, read 15,446 times
Why do you need a car? Live with a roommate in Jersey city and get a cheap room since you won't be there often. Then take an uber for <$20 to Newark airport when needed.

Alternatively you can live in Manhattan and pay a bit more for a bit less space. Don't keep a car and just take an uber to JFK/LGA for $40-50 each way.

I don't understand why you want a car.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:32 AM

@saiyar1 - I would have loved to sell the car and go without, but unfortunately some of the travel I'll be doing will be by car (local sites in New Jersey) and some will be by airplane (out-of-state sites).

Old 03-21-2017, 07:27 AM

351 posts, read 482,269 times
I'm sorry but going from LES to NJ is a ridiculous idea (unless you do it like once a month). When you visit to look at apartments, rent a car and simulate your nightmare.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:41 AM

@j0nx - I won't be driving from LES to NJ, just parking in NJ and taking public transport into/out of NYC. Still, I get your point. The more I think about it, the more it seems like maybe not the smartest option... still, the allure of living in the city is getting to me!

Old 03-21-2017, 07:46 AM

351 posts, read 482,269 times
I meant rent a car, park it in NJ and try to get there from LES. There is no subway, so you will be relying on a bus to go crosstown, then switch to the path, then walk to your car and then try to drive out of Jersey City or Hoboken while the rest of NJ is driving in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey